TOB sleeve is shot. i think, now what?

futureSVT

Established Member
ok guys i think ive figured out my problem my sleeve is gone or the bearing itself. car has ported blower no pulleys and cai and exhaust 25k

My 1st question is lethals sleeve the best choice for replacement? and what TOB the oem or the spec that comes with the clutch?

While the trans is out might as well replace the clutch. I know alot of people really like the spec 3+. My plans for the car are 500rwhp and thats it no TS.

the car never sees the track. its my weekend warrior. I dont want any chatter, but kinda like the stiff clutch pedal and i dont want the clutch to be an on/off. i was really happy with the stocker and the way it held.

so what do you guys think about the spec 2 or 2+ is there much of a difference other then power levels?

As far as the flywheel i think i might keep the stocker if it looks alright.

my other problem is where to take the car??? I am about 30 mins north of atl. I have heard of injected out in kenn. but i am not sure havent called yet.

also how much do you think labor is gonna run me?

thanks alot guys i know this topic has been hammered alot. but it seems picking out a clutch is different and case by case.

[ame=http://s218.photobucket.com/albums/cc61/nickbaucom/?action=view&current=MOV04431.flv]
th_MOV04431.jpg
[/ame]
DSC04435.jpg

DSC04436.jpg

dormeas

Established Member
The sleeve on lethalperformance is great and you definitely want the oem TOB.

As for your clutch.... just depends who you ask but the general consensus is that the 3+, if broken in right, is a great stockish like clutch for the money. And it holds way more power.

divided

Established Member
I had the Spec 2 (not +) in my cobra and loved it. Peddle felt lighter than stock and had *almost* no chatter. As far as the TOB get the Lethal forged one and never worry again.

futureSVT

Established Member
thanks for the help guys^. I got a price on a spec2+ and install with the sleeve and tob and also a cable adjuster, 1200-1500 for parts and labor. does that sound high?

divided

Established Member
Well FORDs price is $665 for labor just for the TOB swap. Is doing the clutch worth that much more? Id say no.

Realized you said parts and labor, that's not a bad price at all.

i8urSS

Established Member
did you price out all the parts themselves? cause the average price for installing a clutch disc, pressure plate, TOB, retainer sleeve, and surfacing the fly wheel should be around $400 if you go to a performance shop. i took mine to america's service station and they have an hourly rate of $101 and told me install would be $570 and i told them that was out of line and they would only get my business if they could come down to $450 and they did. i dont know how much your parts are but unless they total up to $800 then anything over $1200 is high. also make sure you get the pilot bearing too if your gonna change out everything. BTW what part of atlanta are you in. i just moved to marietta. looking for some people to cruise with

i8urSS

Established Member
also i got my centerforce clutch, lethal retainer sleeve, TOB, LDC free play mod and pilot bearing for around 600. so anything over a grand is a little high

futureSVT

Established Member
did you price out all the parts themselves? cause the average price for installing a clutch disc, pressure plate, TOB, retainer sleeve, and surfacing the fly wheel should be around $400 if you go to a performance shop. i took mine to america's service station and they have an hourly rate of $101 and told me install would be $570 and i told them that was out of line and they would only get my business if they could come down to $450 and they did. i dont know how much your parts are but unless they total up to $800 then anything over $1200 is high. also make sure you get the pilot bearing too if your gonna change out everything. BTW what part of atlanta are you in. i just moved to marietta. looking for some people to cruise with

yea i said screw the labor and pulled it out today. lol i am located in buford which is right by the mall of ga. when you move shot me a pm and we can get something togeather..

UPDATE!!
I pulled her out today and was surprised at how easy it was. now that being said i think i have a huge sleeve failure.
DSC04446.jpg

DSC04445.jpg

DSC04444.jpg

now i just need to order my new sleeve. part of me wants to keep the stock clutch since its been working just fine then the other parts wants the new spec 2+.

Ukfox89

Established Member
is replacing the sleeve hard? i have a spec 3+ and love it but damn it chatters and makes a lot of noise, mainly metallic noise. and my pedal makes a vibration noise cause it bounes on the springs on the clutch. need to pull the tranny AGAIN and replace the sleeve and TOB for the 4th time. need to just put a lethal TOB in there.

tophand

Established Member
I got quoted for 320 to drop the trans and do the TOB and sleeve. The guy said he'd do the clutch for free while it was out. Try and see if you can work something like that.

Sent while driving

MoKo_03SVT

=]~
Established Member
when i did my TOB/clutch swap, i also went with the lethal TOB sleeve. however, for me personally, i would never put a spec anything in my car...clutch OR TOB. i have lost track of how many threads i have seen saying that there TOB sucks badly, and doesnt last long at all, before it starts chirping and squeeling. some have said it happened after a few hundred miles, and some have said after 1k or so.

i decided to go with ProMotion Performance for my clutch and TOB, and maaaan am i glad i did! their clutch is soooooo much better than the stocker. clutch pedal is SUPER light (feels like my girlfriends honda), chatter and noise free (unlike spec, centerforce, etc). i got 40k miles out of their $15 TOB before it started chirping. when i went in to do this last TOB swap, i still had plenty of clutch left to go.

i did A LOT of reading/research before ordering my clutch. read a lot of horror stories, about a lot of brands. however, i was hardly able to find anything bad about ProMotion. found tons of GOOD things, and happy customers...but nothing that was negative really. that is what made me decide to go with them...that and their price! i think the whole clutch kit was like $280 or something like that. i have been damn impressed with their product, and have been recommending them often. if i ever DO have to replace my clutch again, i will be going right back to them.

here is a link..

ProMotion MUSTANG/CAMARO Performance Manual Transmissions/Clutches/Repairs FL

EDIT:and i just noticed i joined the n00b club, and started adding my 2 cents to a 2 year old thread. awesome.

:rockon:

Last edited:

speedsun

Established Member
I have my tranny out now doing the ProMotion clutch, lethal tob sleeve, and 26 spline upgrade. I cant wait to drive my car after reading all these good reviews on their clutches

2003SILVERGT

Established Member
when i did my TOB/clutch swap, i also went with the lethal TOB sleeve. however, for me personally, i would never put a spec anything in my car...clutch OR TOB. i have lost track of how many threads i have seen saying that there TOB sucks badly, and doesnt last long at all, before it starts chirping and squeeling. some have said it happened after a few hundred miles, and some have said after 1k or so.

i decided to go with ProMotion Performance for my clutch and TOB, and maaaan am i glad i did! their clutch is soooooo much better than the stocker. clutch pedal is SUPER light (feels like my girlfriends honda), chatter and noise free (unlike spec, centerforce, etc). i got 40k miles out of their $15 TOB before it started chirping. when i went in to do this last TOB swap, i still had plenty of clutch left to go.

i did A LOT of reading/research before ordering my clutch. read a lot of horror stories, about a lot of brands. however, i was hardly able to find anything bad about ProMotion. found tons of GOOD things, and happy customers...but nothing that was negative really. that is what made me decide to go with them...that and their price! i think the whole clutch kit was like $280 or something like that. i have been damn impressed with their product, and have been recommending them often. if i ever DO have to replace my clutch again, i will be going right back to them.

here is a link..

ProMotion MUSTANG/CAMARO Performance Manual Transmissions/Clutches/Repairs FL

EDIT:and i just noticed i joined the n00b club, and started adding my 2 cents to a 2 year old thread. awesome.

:rockon:
Wish I saw this before I bought my Spec. FML!

Users who are viewing this thread