TOB retainer sleeve?

69clark

Established Member
I know this is a week point on the t56 trannys. I check my tranny and it has a steel sleeve (magnet sticks to it). I was wondering if that meant I have an upgraded sleeve or is that not the case. I guess what I am asking is the stock sleeve with problems aluminum or steel? If the stock sleeves are aluminum then I guess mine has been upgraded, if the stock ones are steel then I guess I don't know what I have, lol.

TDS-03

Established Member
I beleive the stock one is steele also, just built poorly. If you have the trans out I would inspect and replace while you have the opportunity. Do some additional searches, I've seen some posts with comparison pics. I know mine broke and I wasnt that tough on my car back then.

Liquidsnake

Lok'tar Ogar
Established Member
I just did a Mcleod RXT install with a lethal TOB sleeve and a 26 spline shaft. My stock sleeve was also steel and had about 80k on it when I removed it, and it had absolutely zero scarring on it. There was just a few small spots where you could tell a throw out bearing had been rubbing on it for 9 years.

I personally don't see how you could wear out the stock sleeve to the point where it would break, unless the TOB gets seized to the sleeve somehow...but then your clutch wouldn't be able to disengage. You put a good amount of grease on the sleeve and you should have zero issues with it.

TDS-03

Established Member
Its not that the shaft of the sleeve looks worn or scared, its that it simply breaks off from the base with no warning or abuse. Its a poorly manufactured factory part. Some may last for years, others die for no reason. Its a known issue, has been since the cars were new.

If yours works well, and its been this long you prob have a good one. For me, replacing with one I trust while the trans is out is good idea. I thought I needed a new clutch at 10K, but found when I pulled everything out that I had a good clutch, and nearly unscratched flywheel, but the sleeve fell out on the floor.

This thread has a pic of what happens - my new clutch setup - Page 3 - SoCalTerminators.com Forums

vr4

Established Member
Its not that the shaft of the sleeve looks worn or scared, its that it simply breaks off from the base with no warning or abuse. Its a poorly manufactured factory part. Some may last for years, others die for no reason. Its a known issue, has been since the cars were new.

If yours works well, and its been this long you prob have a good one. For me, replacing with one I trust while the trans is out is good idea. I thought I needed a new clutch at 10K, but found when I pulled everything out that I had a good clutch, and nearly unscratched flywheel, but the sleeve fell out on the floor.

This thread has a pic of what happens - my new clutch setup - Page 3 - SoCalTerminators.com Forums

Covered it. Mine was broken at 9k miles when i bought it.

Users who are viewing this thread