TOB news

03yellow

Established Member
I took my car to the trans shop and showed him my recently replaced TOB.He told me the TOB was fine; He laughed and said that he gets this stuff alll the time. I told him it squeels when I let out the cluch when its cold. It quits for several months when Ford puts in a new TOB; he laughed again.

He showed me several imput shafts with groves from bad pilot bearings. He said thats your problem: your pilot bearing. He stated that 90% of the time ford will replace the TOB and not fix the problem. However, they lube the imput shaft, when they change the TOB (were it goes into the pilot bearing) and the noise will go away for several week or months; until the pilot bearing dries out again.

I wonder if all those people who contine to replace TOBs simply need pilot bearing?

When I replace the clutch, next time, I will order a new pilot bearing; it is a pbearing that takes a lot of wear!

Last edited:

Darksyde024

Established Member
Ya But a TOB problem doesnt make that noise. usually its when you engage the clutch and the chirping goes away is a sign of a bad TOB.

right?

03yellow

Established Member
I'm not sure.But why not replace the pilot bearing while your there?

Darksyde024 said:
Ya But a TOB problem doesnt make that noise. usually its when you engage the clutch and the chirping goes away is a sign of a bad TOB.

right?

Users who are viewing this thread