To yote, or not to yote, that is the yote

What do

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

IronSnake

Beers for the boys
Established Member
A while back I started to seriously considering getting rid of my clean 5.0 drivetrain for an LS. I was thinking LSA blower, 5.3, the basics. My SBF is great but it's no dandelion compared to what's out there. Coyote crate = too expensive

Couldn't bring myself to do the LS. So I canceled. Fluffed up the SBF. It's good to go at a whopping 300hp.

Then a few weeks later Dad calls out of the blue. He has a coyote core to give me.

Hellyea.jpeg

Get there & it's from a 2014 GT. Intake to oil pan. Shortblock was toast but cylinder heads, cams, intake, TB, all of that is good. So now I have the entire top end off a Coyote out of a mustang.

But, without a shortblock these are just parts. And I have yet to find a reasonably priced shortblock yet. Seem to be a few and far between deal. I expected to find a Coyote with head noise I could pick up, but nope. And any shortblock is the same price as a used longblock.

So here I am. Clean 5.0 coupe that is just fine. I could sell all the yote parts, buy aluminum heads, and rock the SBF. Or I can just pray i'm blessed with a shortblock at some point, swap the car, and have more horse powa.

What say you SVTp faithful. Wait for the yote to develop or just blow up my SBF with copious amounts of boost and profit?

apex svt

MEAN STREAK
Established Member
Going through this debate with my buddy. He’s got a 5.0 heads cam intake but we want to make good power 6-700hp. The push rod sbf stuff is expensive. The block alone sets you back 2-3 grand then you need the rotating assembly, machine work, then a power adder. By that point you might as well buy the used coyote.
The ls is obviously the cheapest way to make good power and they are so easy to work on. But I’m not a Chevy guy.
As for your situation. Finding a short block may be worth it.

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
LS would be bad ass and cheap.

Coyote would be awesome too. Built short block is $4500.

What is “reasonable” to you price-wise?

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

IronSnake

Beers for the boys
Established Member
what do you think price differential is between yore and building SBF?

The main issue with a SBF, especially an aging one, is the lack of RPM they can handle. People talk about splitting blocks due to big power. 9/10 times it's spining passed 5800rpm's which is the nail in the coffin. Problem is, you can't really make power with a low cube motor N/A without spinning it hard. They tend to not like it

So in the SBF's case, it really necessitates a better block. That's an initial 2-3k dollar investment. Cylinder heads of the avian variety are 2k. Intakes are plentiful. Custom cam 400. Valvetrain, internals, and other bits. 10k to build a good SBF.

Makes a coyote swap seem like a drop in the bucket. But regardless, I wouldn't intentionally spend 10k on my car like that. If I could budget build this coyote, I can do my own wiring, tuning, and other bits. The SBF really doesn't have much choice outside of an aftermarket block, or riding on borrowed time.

Klaus

Established Member
Premium Member
The main issue with a SBF, especially an aging one, is the lack of RPM they can handle. People talk about splitting blocks due to big power. 9/10 times it's spining passed 5800rpm's which is the nail in the coffin. Problem is, you can't really make power with a low cube motor N/A without spinning it hard. They tend to not like it

So in the SBF's case, it really necessitates a better block. That's an initial 2-3k dollar investment. Cylinder heads of the avian variety are 2k. Intakes are plentiful. Custom cam 400. Valvetrain, internals, and other bits. 10k to build a good SBF.

Makes a coyote swap seem like a drop in the bucket. But regardless, I wouldn't intentionally spend 10k on my car like that. If I could budget build this coyote, I can do my own wiring, tuning, and other bits. The SBF really doesn't have much choice outside of an aftermarket block, or riding on borrowed time.

Yote all the way

TK1299

Meh
Established Member
Premium Member
tenor.gif

IronSnake

Beers for the boys
Established Member
LS would be bad ass and cheap.

Coyote would be awesome too. Built short block is $4500.

What is “reasonable” to you price-wise?

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

While my SBF setup sounds pedestrian, I have an aftermarket ECU, really nice exhaust, nice HCI, nice shortblock, nice harnesses... etc.

It has value is my point. So if I could out of pocket cap myself 2-3k then I'd do it. Meaning about 5k or so for the entire swap.

Flat paying 5-10k for a swap just doesn't sit well with me. Not Kosher.

IronSnake

Beers for the boys
Established Member
Not really sure what your power goals are, however 15-17' short blocks go for $1,800 brand new. They seem to live over 700hp pretty well. I bet you could get $700ish for just the bare block alone, used.

Where the heck have you seen that for 1800? lol

TK1299

Meh
Established Member
Premium Member
I’ve got a SBF in my 93. It’s stroked to a 347 and supercharged and makes 500hp. That’s about the limit of that block, but it’s mucho fun

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
While my SBF setup sounds pedestrian, I have an aftermarket ECU, really nice exhaust, nice HCI, nice shortblock, nice harnesses... etc.

It has value is my point. So if I could out of pocket cap myself 2-3k then I'd do it. Meaning about 5k or so for the entire swap.

Flat paying 5-10k for a swap just doesn't sit well with me. Not Kosher.
Sounds perfect for a 351W

Users who are viewing this thread