To Wait Or Not To Wait...

SVT1320

Established Member

I've already had one, fun cars, but not interested in going back to another one.

I say go for the C7Z06. Awesome cars.
No doubt the new GT500 will have an ADM, plus will be limited as well, so who knows how easy/hard it will be to get one.

This option so far, in my opinion is my best bet I think. I found a 2015 Z06 2LZ Z07 package, M7 with 8k miles on it for 63k... they are just going for a steal right now IMHO.

Get a 350 and supercharge it.

Take the supercharger off and reinstall the stock pieces when the gt500 comes out. Sell 350 and sc, buy gt500.

My buddies sc’d 350 makes 750whp, and it shuts down hellcats, zl1’s, z06’s etc like it’s not even trying.

Regarding power, there’s never enough acceleration, but balance et al wise, a supercharged gt350(or r) is 2-3 times the car a hellcat overall.

That said, a hellcat is an excellent car

I've honestly thought about that, however, and I know this sounds bratty... but I couldn't sleep at night knowing I wasn't driving a 350R haha. I think a blown 350R would A: ruin resale value B: put me in Viper territory as far as price goes.

The 03-04 terminator option is an interesting idea though...

paluka21

Established Member
OP, I've been contemplating the same decision for the past several months. I have a 2014 with a little over 6000 miles on it with minor modifications. My driving factor for change is I'm tired of manual transmissions and dealing with clutch issues that surround higher powered cars. I've been driving a manual since 1995 and now it just doesn't have the same appeal.
I've been heavily leaning to trade my Shelby next year for an A8 C7 Zo6. The new GT500 will definitely have appeal but its impossible to say the price. The Zo6 is a heck of a sports car for the money and has killer looks to boot *subjective*.
I guess it all come down to what do you want and whats important to you? Are you brand loyal or do you appreciate all makes and models of performance? How much money and effort do you want to spend to get a car where you want it, and do you enjoy the modification process? Or would it be easier for you to purchase a car with performance closer to how you want it to be?

Lacquer

Established Member
If you can wait, you will have much better clarity on your best options in the next 6 to 8 months. First, you will find out if you can get a GT500 and how much it will cost. You will also be able to see where prices are going on GT350s and such. For certain, Vettes are going to start dropping value dramatically since it is nearing the end of the C7 cycle. Z06 prices will continue to fall in the next year or so as the ZR1 is out and soon the ME Vette will be released. You can then decide what you most want to drive, which is probably the most important thing. The performance numbers on any of these cars are really very close, a simple mod like pulley and tune, tires, or lessons on track would put you up front in peformance.

conceptmachine

Established Member
wait, or you may be upset you didnt.
find something else to keep your interest until then, non car related.
I'm waiting on info from both, the GT500 and ME corvette and may even wait a year after release. sometimes it's hard to wait, but the saying 'good things come to those who wait' is more often right than wrong.
One thing for sure is, we aren't getting any younger. sometimes time runs out on us.

tones_RS3

I like members members.
Established Member
Premium Member
This option so far, in my opinion is my best bet I think. I found a 2015 Z06 2LZ Z07 package, M7 with 8k miles on it for 63k... they are just going for a steal right now IMHO.
Yeah, you can't beat it bro. Killer performance and killer looks.
Go to the track, run mid 10's all day long, drive home. If you track your car at all, that is.

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
Don’t forget cheap options on cars you have always wanted. 2 years ago while my GT500 was down for an engine rebuild and I was finishing my monster garage, I picked up a mint Teal ‘93 Cobra driver. Cars was fun as hell to drive for a while summer and still worth more than I paid.
I’m sure it’s hard with driving season here, but find something you would really enjoy before making a bigger decision can make sense.
Good luck.
And I’ve seen an engineering pic of the next GT500. If you like a GT350 on steroids you’ll be happy.
-J

snakedoctor

Established Member
I'm in the same boat and thinking about picking up a Grand National, 93 Cobra, or Boss 302 to have fun with until the new GT500 comes out and prices level out.

tt335ci03cobra

Established Member
A fun well done whipple or turbo cobra to tool around in for a few months is basically a break even proposition minus taxes and registration/maintenance.

Picking one up about now for $22-25k and selling it in July to November for $22-25k wouldn’t be hard to do at all.

tt335ci03cobra

Established Member
I honestly got the itch to just go really built 03 vs doing another bolt on+ build or newer basic bolt on build.

I’m getting old and I turn to my car hobby to cut away from the technology craze of digital this, computer that, satellite this, quantum processing that etc... I think I just honestly need to find a time machine and step back to about 1970. I appreciate technology but I turn to cars to get away from all the silicone, screens, programs etc.

That said, after putting a heads up display in my car, a part of me died. When I switch to a stand-alone fuel system with a digital dash, I’m going to spend hours making a template and background that basically looks very traditional/not tech at all.

tt335ci03cobra

Established Member
all of these will induce buyers remorse. Waiting and getting a gt500 will be no different.

Get a stock gt350r for now and sell it at that time. You’ll only lose the registration and taxes. You could probably sell it for more in 6 months than you can today. Something tells me that seeing the gt500 on the street is about 9 months to a year away.

SVT1320

Established Member
I'm in the same boat and thinking about picking up a Grand National, 93 Cobra, or Boss 302 to have fun with until the new GT500 comes out and prices level out.

Yeah I did chew on the idea of maybe a Laguna Boss 302 hmmmmm... I've never actually seen one in person.

I have it's called losing weight and 5 weeks in I have lost 20lbs of my 50llb goal. I have a feeling I will have no news by the time I reach my goal. HAAALLLLPPPP

Congrats!! Just gain it all back and repeat to pass the time hahaha

By the time this car is available for sale, I will probably be to old to get a license or Jerry "Moonbeam" Brown will have outlawed all gas over 87 octane.

Lmao a little engine ping never hurt anybody :)

all of these will induce buyers remorse. Waiting and getting a gt500 will be no different.

Get a stock gt350r for now and sell it at that time. You’ll only lose the registration and taxes. You could probably sell it for more in 6 months than you can today. Something tells me that seeing the gt500 on the street is about 9 months to a year away.

You really think it'll be that soon? Ford hasn't even listed the GT500 on there website under "future vehicles" however the new bronco is... :/

The Saint

Cookie Monster
Established Member
If NASA can give us a Launch date 10 years in advance then come on Ford.....
JWST_people.jpg

csc427

Established Member
Just buy something that has taken its hit already and sell it when/if the gt500 is to your liking. Can’t go wrong with with the viper or z07 imho. Won’t lose much money and both are a blast to drive.

Users who are viewing this thread