To tune or not tune

onmywayout

I've had my car nearly 6-months now and I am getting a bit too comfortable with the present performance. I drive almost solely with the RedKey as I find the performance with the BlackKey a bit underwhelming.

My car is nearly all stock other than an AFE drop in dry filter. I have been thinking about a CAI (AirRaid) and either a AED or Lund tune to wake things up a bit.

I'd like to get comments from others who have tuned a near stock Boss. What are your thoughts, was it worth the $$$.

KBBoss302

Established Member
Hey I only have a Steeda CAI and Ford Racing Touring axlebacks on my Boss and the AED e-tune I did on it several years ago really woke the car up. Plus, the pops and crackles sound so great with the sidepipes open. Feels very strong and doesn't surge or feel too jumpy as I experienced with another tuner on a prior Boss.

onmywayout

Hey I only have a Steeda CAI and Ford Racing Touring axlebacks on my Boss and the AED e-tune I did on it several years ago really woke the car up. Plus, the pops and crackles sound so great with the sidepipes open. Feels very strong and doesn't surge or feel too jumpy as I experienced with another tuner on a prior Boss.

Thank you for this reply. This is exactly what I was looking for. Quick question are there any aspects from the RedKey tune that is lost with the AED

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Contact @Shaun@AED and he can answer any of your questions. I recommend the direct contact because you'll hear it first hand. I'm wondering if AED provides separate tunes for both Black-Key and Red-Key. Both, or Red only?

Here is an interesting Boss 302/AED tune thread from 2013 you might want to browse through.
https://www.svtperformance.com/forums/threads/aed-tune-a.942821/

96gt02

Established Member
You actually better off getting a tune from someone like AED vs using the Red key, As the Red key actually desensitizes the knock sensors which an aftermarket tune wouldnt do and would give you more power as well as being safer

onmywayout

You actually better off getting a tune from someone like AED vs using the Red key, As the Red key actually desensitizes the knock sensors which an aftermarket tune wouldnt do and would give you more power as well as being safer

Chatted with Shaun this afternoon. Going with a Airaid Parnelli Jones CAI and his 93 and drag tunes. :)

B7BlownSnake

Established Member
He tuned my Boss, but I had a CJ intake set up on it. AED is a great tuner. Set the rev limit to 8200, it pulled hard all the way and ran perfectly.

You lose the fake "idle" from the Red Key. And you lose Launch Control. Basically, you lose anything the Red Key gives, but obviously gain much more in power and drivability.

12WhiteBoss302

Established Member
Shaun for AED just tuned my car 3 days ago. I had the track key before that, which was great, but this is so much better. It really opened up the car and his idle lope tune is excellent. It sounds more aggressive then the track key.

Shaun was very helpful with the tuning and found a couple problems when we were data logging. He helped fix the problems and all was good. Very highly recommended!

RTD

Established Member
He tuned my Boss, but I had a CJ intake set up on it. AED is a great tuner. Set the rev limit to 8200, it pulled hard all the way and ran perfectly.

You lose the fake "idle" from the Red Key. And you lose Launch Control. Basically, you lose anything the Red Key gives, but obviously gain much more in power and drivability.

Apparently the latest software from HP Tuners allows the tuner to keep the Track Key stuff while doing their custom tune.

M91196

Established Member
Shaun for AED just tuned my car 3 days ago. I had the track key before that, which was great, but this is so much better. It really opened up the car and his idle lope tune is excellent. It sounds more aggressive then the track key.

Shaun was very helpful with the tuning and found a couple problems when we were data logging. He helped fix the problems and all was good. Very highly recommended!

Are you running cats still with their ghost tune?

I hate to admit I don’t want to give up the lumpy idle....

12WhiteBoss302

Established Member
Are you running cats still with their ghost tune?

I hate to admit I don’t want to give up the lumpy idle....
Yes I still have the cats. I have no idea how long they will last with the ghost tune, but I am like you, I did not want to give up the lumpy idle. I just heard it wasn’t good to idle for a long period of time with the ghost tune active.

Livernois Motorsports

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
I've had my car nearly 6-months now and I am getting a bit too comfortable with the present performance. I drive almost solely with the RedKey as I find the performance with the BlackKey a bit underwhelming.

My car is nearly all stock other than an AFE drop in dry filter. I have been thinking about a CAI (AirRaid) and either a AED or Lund tune to wake things up a bit.

I'd like to get comments from others who have tuned a near stock Boss. What are your thoughts, was it worth the $$$.
We have a great tune for these vehicles as well as an awesome cylinder head program for the boss 302's! For extra info shoot us a call or pm, 313-561-5500 extension 104 and my name is cody and ill be glad to assist you!

bfgtim

Established Member
Tune it.

I did long tubes and kept the side pipes. Sounds better than stock is even more responsive.

Tune it. You won’t miss the track key.

Users who are viewing this thread