To stroke, or not to stroke....

dadro77

Deez nuts....
Established Member
What is your opinions on a Modular stroker for a dd. Looking to do a Procharger DS1sc. I drive the car a lot. My ultimate goal would be 500+ rwhp. I didn't want to hijack the other thread, so what compression for a stroked and blown 4.6, or should I just keep the standard bore? Thanks for the input!!:beer:

01fordcobra

Established Member
In my personal opinion I would not bother with boring and stroking. The money to gain ratio is too high. Now forging the internals is always best. Replacing Rods and pistons will do great wonders and add insurance if you plan to add even more power later.

As for compression, most set a goal for about 8.5-9.0 which buying a set of forged dished pistons will accomplish.

That's my 2cents.

randoo

Established Member
I had to forge my internals and while it was apart I got a stroker crank for $700, IIRC. It's a 298 inch motor now. Im running a D1sc with all supporting mods..fuel sys, rails etc. It put down just over 600 rwhp on a safe tune with water/meth.

dadro77

Deez nuts....
Established Member
Sweet. I just went ahead and ordered the stroker. Going to be around 9.1 compression. All forged, 1,000 hp rated...

97desertCobra

Procharged!
Established Member
In my personal opinion I would not bother with boring and stroking. The money to gain ratio is too high. Now forging the internals is always best. Replacing Rods and pistons will do great wonders and add insurance if you plan to add even more power later.

As for compression, most set a goal for about 8.5-9.0 which buying a set of forged dished pistons will accomplish.

That's my 2cents.

When compared to a forged rotating assembly and stroker forged rotating assembly the cost is only $400 more for the stoker. The stroker is worth about 20rwhp/rwtq in n/a form, so add FI and that number will climb. Could be worth 40-50rwhp at 15-20psi. Thats money well spent IMO.

As for compression 8.5-9.0 is pretty low for a centri blower. 9.5.1 would be the lowest I would go with a centri blower. Lower compression creates a doggish feeling in the low rpms when running a centri blower. For my self, I'm trying to stay as close to stock compression 9.85.1 as possible in my rebuild, and I'm going to go with a stroker crank.

dadro77

Deez nuts....
Established Member
When compared to a forged rotating assembly and stroker forged rotating assembly the cost is only $400 more for the stoker. The stroker is worth about 20rwhp/rwtq in n/a form, so add FI and that number will climb. Could be worth 40-50rwhp at 15-20psi. Thats money well spent IMO.

As for compression 8.5-9.0 is pretty low for a centri blower. 9.5.1 would be the lowest I would go with a centri blower. Lower compression creates a doggish feeling in the low rpms when running a centri blower. For my self, I'm trying to stay as close to stock compression 9.85.1 as possible in my rebuild, and I'm going to go with a stroker crank.

Even for 16-18 lbs of boost? I have 4.10's also..

notchstang92

Spoolin'
Established Member
I would do a stroker if I was going to do a motor. Why not you are already there. Keep the compression somewhere around 9.1 and turn up the boost. With the proper supporting components you could see some nice #'s with a D1SC. An aluminum block 5.0 or bigger stroker with a D1SC, ported heads/intake, cams and fuel system would be a street machine worth driving.

The 03 cobras run 8.5.1 for a reason, but thats a PD blower and supposedly centris are easier on the motors than a PD blower.

dadro77

Deez nuts....
Established Member
I would do a stroker if I was going to do a motor. Why not you are already there. Keep the compression somewhere around 9.1 and turn up the boost. With the proper supporting components you could see some nice #'s with a D1SC. An aluminum block 5.0 or bigger stroker with a D1SC, ported heads/intake, cams and fuel system would be a street machine worth driving.

The 03 cobras run 8.5.1 for a reason, but thats a PD blower and supposedly centris are easier on the motors than a PD blower.

That was my logic as well....

if you just want 500rwhp just .020 and forged internals

Well, 5-600 rwhp. And, like most Stang owners, once you get used to a power level, you want more!!:banana:

droptopsnake01

N/A FTW!
Established Member
That was my logic as well....

Well, 5-600 rwhp. And, like most Stang owners, once you get used to a power level, you want more!!:banana:

I still think you should do .020 over and forged internals. Use the money you would have paid for the stroker kit somewhere else.

carrew

'01 Cobra Jet
Established Member
I would just go with a direct port nitrous combo or 03/04 eaton swap.

Don't think I would want a centrifical on a daily to much potential to shred a belt and be stuck on the side of the road.

97desertCobra

Procharged!
Established Member
Even for 16-18 lbs of boost? I have 4.10's also..

A stroker with 16-18# why not?!?! 9.85.1 compression with 16-18# again why not?!?! Of course for me I would be running 100 octane or even better E85 when over 15# but thats me. It also gets to 115+ degrees here in Phoenix during the summer so more octane is more insurance in my case. The centri blowers generate less heat than the PD blowers allowing you to run more compression or more timing at the same compression.Thing about having too low compression with a centri is it feels sluggish in the low rpms. Thats why I'm staying as close to stock compression as possible with my rebuild. Your 4.10's do help out quite a bit though when paired with a centri blower.

SlowSVT

Established Member
The 4.6 has so precious little piston left in the hole at BDC. Stroking with pull it out of the cylinder even more. The engine won't be as happy at redline then a stock stroke mill. The great thing about supercharging is you can add more boost and get the same results as more displacement. I would opt for a PD blower over a centrifugal blower which will make more "use" horsepower. 8.5:1 for the PD / 9:1 for the centriffy. Consider an iron block for added durability.

Just an "IMO"

dadro77

Deez nuts....
Established Member
A stroker with 16-18# why not?!?! 9.85.1 compression with 16-18# again why not?!?! Of course for me I would be running 100 octane or even better E85 when over 15# but thats me. It also gets to 115+ degrees here in Phoenix during the summer so more octane is more insurance in my case. The centri blowers generate less heat than the PD blowers allowing you to run more compression or more timing at the same compression.Thing about having too low compression with a centri is it feels sluggish in the low rpms. Thats why I'm staying as close to stock compression as possible with my rebuild. Your 4.10's do help out quite a bit though when paired with a centri blower.

I always run 93. I don't know, I will probably change my mind 100 times before it is built about what power adder....

The 4.6 has so precious little piston left in the hole at BDC. Stroking with pull it out of the cylinder even more. The engine won't be as happy at redline then a stock stroke mill. The great thing about supercharging is you can add more boost and get the same results as more displacement. I would opt for a PD blower over a centrifugal blower which will make more "use" horsepower. 8.5:1 for the PD / 9:1 for the centriffy. Consider an iron block for added durability.

Just an "IMO"

I'm building my Teksid. Thank you for the input!!:beer:

I agree with the sluggish comments. I have 8.8:1 on a centri and below 3500 my car is pretty weak.

Do you have any vids of your car and a dyno graph?

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
I say stroke it. The extra cubes can always help. As for the piston being pulled out too far, the new strokers are a lot better. Even with my stroker there's plenty of piston left in the cylinder.

IUP99snake

The Shocker
Established Member
I'm glad you decided to go with the stroker!! The cost of a stroker crank is only a few hundred dollars more than a stock stroke cobra crank... and while it's only 20 or so extra cubes, it really adds up when you've got a blower. As someone mentioned before, if your motor is making enough boost to make 2 HP per cubic inch, that's an extra 40 HP advantage over a 4.6L, WITHOUT having to rely on more boost, more aggressive tuning, etc...

Some people mentioned how the longevity of the motor will not be as good with a stroker... Perhaps. But not having to run as much boost with a more conservative tune to make an additional 40 HP will extend the longevity of the motor, compared to a stock displacement motor with a radical tune..

I think maybe you could have gone with a tad higher compression. Maybe 9.5:1, or even 10:1. If you have a good tune, a good intercooler, you'll be able to run a significant amount of boost even with a high compression motor. That's especially true if you install a meth injection system.

I've got 10.5:1 compression and I run 12 LBS of boost. Granted, I don't have forged internals, I just have a stock Aviator longblock so I need a pretty conservative tune so I don't break anything. But the additional low RPM power compared to my stock long block with the lower compression (and 99-01 heads/cams) is definitely noticeable. A little bit better mileage, driveability, and extra horsepower below 3000 RPM

Homer

jmichalicek

Established Member
I agree, probably a good call on the stroker. I just had my motor rebuilt a few months ago. I didn't go the stroker route since there just tends to be too much controversy and I just couldn't bring myself to take the risk however small it may be, but there's not a single trip I take in the car that I don't wonder if maybe I should have just gone ahead and done it.

dadro77

Deez nuts....
Established Member
All great points here. I just figured while it is out, do it right!! Last year I had a spun bearing, and I bought a low mile Mach 1 shortblock. Well, I did a few more mods including LT's and nitrous. After bending two rods on the dyno, I want to have some insurance, and extra power......

Users who are viewing this thread