to pull the A/C or not to pull the A/C

YELOSNK

Established Member
I'm looking to do what I can to reduce weight on my '01 Cobra for track driving (nothing competitive). Problem is most of the easy weight savings is over the rear wheels*, so trying to see where I have options to reduce weight on the front. The most obvious answer seems to be to pull the A/C, which if LMR is right nets ~43lbs off the nose, minus whatever the an A/C delete pulley weighs.

Even when the car was a DD I almost never used it, and now that it isn't, I don't think I've used it once, as I don't choose to drive it in the rain and prefer my windows down. The only possible scenario I see myself wanting it is the rare scenario of driving to/from the track and it's hot and raining.

As an added bonus, I assume the removal of the condenser will help with radiator airflow and thus reduced coolant temps.

Am I crazy for wanting to do this?

*rear seats, rear seat frame, spare tire, jack, and trunk floor/liner.

Last edited:

WutApex

Wut Apex!?!
Established Member
My initial thought would be to keep it. Not sure how hot it gets in your location, but my past two track vehicles (modded 97 Cobra and a NASA CMC SN95) didn’t have A/C. There were many times I would have loved to have had the ability to roll the windows up and get blasted by cool air as I’m waiting on the grid.

Do you have a CoolSuit? That would negate the need for A/C at the track.

How far are you willing to go for weight savings, e.g. lightweight wheels, headlight assembly delete, gutting the dash, relocating battery out of the front of the car with a lightweight AGM battery, etc?

YELOSNK

Established Member
My initial thought would be to keep it. Not sure how hot it gets in your location, but my past two track vehicles (modded 97 Cobra and a NASA CMC SN95) didn’t have A/C. There were many times I would have loved to have had the ability to roll the windows up and get blasted by cool air as I’m waiting on the grid.

Do you have a CoolSuit? That would negate the need for A/C at the track.

How far are you willing to go for weight savings, e.g. lightweight wheels, headlight assembly delete, gutting the dash, relocating battery out of the front of the car with a lightweight AGM battery, etc?

No CoolSuit. Around here highs in summer are usually 75-85 with moderate humidity. Haven't felt a need to blast AC, but never say never, I guess.

I have Apex EC-7s and plan to stick with those.

By headlight assembly delete do you just mean removing the headlights and taping the connectors to something so they don't knock around?

I don't want to hassle with battery relocation atm, but have definitely considered a lighter battery. Just not sure what the lightest battery that makes sense is. I was looking at the Braille B3121, but not sure if I could go smaller or if Braille is the best choice. Any suggestions?

Honestly not sure what gutting the dash entails as far as effort, lbs saved, and implications. My guess is it's not for me. I want my radio, airbags, and cruise control, and still need the heat for spring and fall.

Last edited:

N/Angel

Crazy Swiss Chick!
Established Member
Premium Member
I removed my AC years ago and it is still a street driven car, even on hot days here in Germany. Windows down works perfect for me, I have not missed AC at all.

For a fun track car I decided to remove all interior, kept full dash with airbags and heater but no radio. Best weight mod up front was a racebronco carbon fiber hood.

Users who are viewing this thread