To Moon or Not to Moon

propellerhead

Established Member
Did you all see the semi eclypse? besides that, I was wondering what are your prefferences.

I purchased my svt focus without a moonroof and my previous focus had a moonroof. I kinda miss it.......

But then again, i kinda like not having a moonroof because I feel like I am in a coffin instead of a open air car. Coffin is good. so is open air.

what are your opinions.....?

cruznsvt

Established Member
NOT to MOON ROOF

NOT to MOON ROOF,

In the future when people start looking for good SVT foci to buy they will look for one with out options.

I had an 86 SVO Mustang and people were always looking for one that didn't have the moon roof because in time all the twisting on the track just make the opening weaker.

A solid roof will not rust.

I am picking mine up on Friday. I ordered it with no options. It's hard to find one with no option so the # will be lower and hard to find in the future. No option = better investment.

propellerhead

Established Member
Hey thanks. that made sense. The only extra option i added was the audiophile stereo for 600 more. I removed the subwoofer, added a sherwood 235watts and a jbl. the cd/mp3 player is a kenwood and the all the lights are red...man with my red focus, the cd/mp3 player looks really nice and i get alot of compliments.

cruznsvt

Established Member
Sounds good

You didn't make any irreversible changes, good. I recommend you hold on to the subwoofer and anything else that you swap. The future will tell how much value those items bring to the car.

After so many year there are only a few SVOs out there on modified and those get more looks then the ones with expensive mods.

For cheap money we got ourselfs a car that many will not be able to buy. As it is only 5500 of us have it now or will be year end.

So make your unique but not to the point that you can't turn it back to the original if needed.

The stereo sounds like it really makes the car look better inside.

Peace,

svt4real

Established Member
i realy do not understand your reply about less options = higher resale value
on the moon thing i have one and love it i would never own a car without one . but i have friends that are the other way too. so i guess it is all in what you want:beer: :shrug:

cruznsvt

Established Member
It's all in what the car was designed for. That's why they made it an option and not standard.

An example is the SVO had a few made that didn't even have pwr window and A/C. The car was originally stripped for weight reduce and so the concept of R type versions. Cobra Rs not only have better tuning but less options or in their case less standards.

If you are buying the SVT as an everyday car and not with the idea that you have a specialized car then I understand where you are coming from. But if you are getting it to take to the track every so often then you need to revisit your choose in options. Take your SVT to a show and chances are someone with ask why you got the moon roof.

This has been my experience, if you have gone to shows and seen different then I don't know what to say.

Ideally I wish they made a version that didn't have any pwr options either or A/C

propellerhead

Established Member
That is correct....the svt is suppose to be a sometype of a "hotrod." They strip it of everything just to make the darn thing go faster. Other items added such as stereo and moonroof ads weight to it. That is exactly one reason why I chose without moonroof but I wanted a stereo. If you compared my old zx3 weight to the svt, the difference in weight is well above 700 pounds(probably because my old zx3 had all the options and a automatic transmission.)...my old zx3 weight was about 3400 pounds and the svt is about 2700 pounds.. my numbers came of the top of my head. BUt yes weight is a factor in making these suckers perform.

So what ever you want to use the car for, pick the options you need and not just to have

for racing....make it light

for value....read up on what people are looking for in a vehicle

for everyday use or a keeper.......go all out in options if you want.
Since I drive hard, i like the no moonroof option because......it gives me a sense of the vehicle feeling more firm. But i still would like my moonroof.

In my case, i love the moonroof but I also preffer one witout a moonroof.

Last edited:

cruznsvt

Established Member
in your case

In your case you can't go wrong. Getting the option of a better CD system doesn't change the performance of the car and you have the sound you perfer.

If you opt for the moon roof you effect the stiffness of the body and the traction control effects the take off.

Sure I would like to have a moon roof but if luxury is what I wanted I would not have bought an SVT.

20 years from now you will see how many are left in good condition and how many are being used to race or show. There will not be many because people aren't buying it as a specialty car.

If you pull next to another SVTF ask if he has the traction control and if he does, know that you have an advantage.

If you have the moon roof think twice about taking hard twisties on a track because it will start to leak and eventually rust not to mention that the whole body is a bit weaker because of it.

Now if you are just buying it to drive to work then you don't have a problem. Enjoy it anyway.

I'd like to see how many were made with no options. The rarest always go for more. So if there are very few with no options it is worth more because it is easier to get one with options.

Eample: If 5000 are made with moon roof and 500 with out.
which is harder to get? Doesn't matter if it cost more when you bought it. It matters what the demand is when you sell it.

Just looking at it in a collectors and racers view.

Users who are viewing this thread