To Lower, or not to Lower...that's the question

Race Red Boss

Established Member
I've been considering Steeda Lowering springs, camber bolts and Ford Performance Jounce bumpers for my 08. I like the look, just have a couple concerns.

My questions are:

1. How does it affect the quality (harshness) of the ride?
2. Affect on getting around, i.e. pavement speed bumps, driveways, etc.?
3. Keeping the stock stuts/shocks.....will lowering cause them to fail early?

Any other feedback from those that have lowered their rides is welccome.

Thanks!

HKusp

Established Member
When I got my car it had some crappy coil overs and some off brand rear springs and was very low. It rode like a shopping cart. I felt every imperfection in the roads, every manhole cover, every expansion joint. I was like one of those "stanced" import guys driving around every pothole or crack in the pavement. I am not a young man and had to do something. I "raised" it up by getting FRPP lowering springs, 13/14 front strut mounts, and Koni shocks and struts. It's still lowered from stock. It handles very well on corners partly due to the springs, shocks and struts. Certainly more due to the adjustable control arms, and panhard bar. It still doesn't ride like a Caddy, but much better when it basically had no suspension travel. I never drove it with stock suspension dynamics, but I would imagine there is some trade-off as soon as you start to lower it. It really depends on what you value, that lower look or the quality of ride, because I am certain there is going to be a trade-off when you lower it.

Race Red Boss

Established Member
@ HKusp Thanks for the feedback. I'm older as well, so hesitating a bit, despite the pro's of better stance and handling. The stock ride is pretty comfortable. Only suspension mods I have are LCA's on the rear and panhard currently. Definitely going to mull this over a bit.

1Kona_Venom

US Army (Ret)
Established Member
Premium Member
It firms it up, but the car will feel planted, and predictable.
I see you are up in Canada. From my experience I took a bone stock car, and drove a crappy 75 mile stretch of road.

I than did the following all at once...
Eibach Pro Kit Springs (would take these over Steeda)
Upper Control Arm, w/ mount, Lower Control Arms
Panhard Bar

All components were polyurethane bushings for the street
Alignment

I went and drove that same crappy road for 75 miles, again. And was very happy to see and feel exactly where my money was spent. Try doing it all at once to maximize your piece of mind that you didn't waste your money.

Tires, are important to

@ HKusp Thanks for the feedback. I'm older as well, so hesitating a bit, despite the pro's of better stance and handling. The stock ride is pretty comfortable. Only suspension mods I have are LCA's on the rear and panhard currently. Definitely going to mull this over a bit.

I'm not being sarcastic when I say this. I've had a lot of cars that I thought I would mod the suspension to my exact taste. It never really felt great. I than bought a 2013 (in sig) and it has the electronic suspension and all I can say is there is NO out of box suspension stuff that can match the ride quality that I now have.

I wish I had just saved my money over the years...but you know, car things. Hope this helps

HKusp

Established Member
I'm not being sarcastic when I say this. I've had a lot of cars that I thought I would mod the suspension to my exact taste. It never really felt great. I than bought a 2013 (in sig) and it has the electronic suspension and all I can say is there is NO out of box suspension stuff that can match the ride quality that I now have.

I wish I had just saved my money over the years...but you know, car things. Hope this helps
Oh I hear you. The tech in the '13/14's in every aspect makes the '07-'09's look like a Model A. I am certain, right out of the box it would be a formidable opponent to my moderately modded suspension'd car. As far as ride quality, I have no doubt it would blow it away. If I had my way, I'd have a GT350 twin turbo'd car and would have the best of MOST worlds, but I am not coming off that $75K-$100K.

PM-Performance

Established Member
I have the Steeda springs on the Ford Performance shocks/struts which are basically 11/12 svtpp dampers.
Car handles pretty good for a solid axle car on drag radials. these are big goofy cars, so it won’t be really low to be honest that it causes issues.
I have yet to scrape this thing other than my obscure garage entrance.

Deff a must do though!

1Kona_Venom

US Army (Ret)
Established Member
Premium Member
Lol. Ya I'm glad you didnt take that comment the wrong way. Tried putting it into being considerate, while chuckling about the advances in designs.

I often find myself getting drowsy on long trips.
Oh I hear you. The tech in the '13/14's in every aspect makes the '07-'09's look like a Model A. I am certain, right out of the box it would be a formidable opponent to my moderately modded suspension'd car. As far as ride quality, I have no doubt it would blow it away. If I had my way, I'd have a GT350 twin turbo'd car and would have the best of MOST worlds, but I am not coming off that $75K-$100K.

Sent from my SM-G975U using the svtperformance.com mobile app

fireman02

Established Member
I just got mine back from the shop with the following done: BMR springs sp70, BMR adjustable upper control arm with Hd mount, BMR lower with relo brackets, & Bilstein HD shocks/struts. Only a little seat time with the new setup, but handles much better/ more planted, and ride quality has barely changed.
Image1588907143.984284.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Catmonkey

I Void Warranties!
Established Member
Premium Member
1. How does it affect the quality (harshness) of the ride?

Spring rates will increase, so whether you feel like it diminishes ride quality will be a matter of opinion. The Steeda Sport springs don't have very high spring rates in relation to some others. Just by virtue of lowering, you're giving up some downward travel in your suspension.

2. Affect on getting around, i.e. pavement speed bumps, driveways, etc.?

You will have decreased ground clearance. I'm fairly low and I would have expected more contact with my exhaust, but I haven't had that sort of experience.

3. Keeping the stock stuts/shocks.....will lowering cause them to fail early?

If you're still on the OEM stuff, they're 13 years old. I wouldn't expect a whole lot of life left in them regardless.

Any other feedback from those that have lowered their rides is welccome.

You might rethink the crash bolts. If you need camber adjustment, get some adjustable strut mounts. Steeda has a nice heavy duty set for street use. Crash bolts are reduced diameter (and larger thread pitch) bolts replacing one of two critical fasteners holding your front spindle to the strut. That's your call. Lots of guys use them. They just seems like a bad idea to me and they're not, nor will they ever be, on my car.

Race Red Boss

Established Member
Installed my Steeda Lowering springs and Ford Performance Jounce kit today. Not a difficult job at all. And WOW....I'm so impressed with how much better the car handles and rides smoother then stock!! The stance looks better as well. I'd recommend it to anyone who wants to improve their Shelby. Great mod. Here's a before and after pic.

DSCF1038.JPG
Lowered side shot.JPG
Lowered_front.JPG
Lowered Rear.JPG

shelbygt500_897hp

Established Member
I agree with 1 kona venom, it WILL stiffen the ride and give you overall better handling.

You will have to be more cautious on parking curbs and going up abrupt inclines.
I got the FRPP stuff. Shocks and springs

Love them and more important love the look.

You will probably also have to get an adj pan hard bar to center the rear axle

What Is A Mustang Panhard Bar & What Does It Do? - LMR.

bullit15 (2).jpg

Race Red Boss

Established Member
I agree with 1 kona venom, it WILL stiffen the ride and give you overall better handling.

You will have to be more cautious on parking curbs and going up abrupt inclines.
I got the FRPP stuff. Shocks and springs

Love them and more important love the look.

You will probably also have to get an adj pan hard bar to center the rear axle

What Is A Mustang Panhard Bar & What Does It Do? - LMR.

View attachment 1651303

Thanks. I actually found the ride to be smoother now. I left the stock struts in place as they only have about 20K easy miles on them. And definitely need to be more cautious driving around lowered.

Already has an adjustable pan hard bar, and aftermarket LCA's so all good there.

shelbygt500_897hp

Established Member
Thanks. I actually found the ride to be smoother now. I left the stock struts in place as they only have about 20K easy miles on them. And definitely need to be more cautious driving around lowered.

Already has an adjustable pan hard bar, and aftermarket LCA's so all good there.

I think the stance on a lowered GT500 is down right bad ass !!

Pribilof

Life's Better @ Elevation
Established Member
I put a BMR setup on my GT500. Drag springs, Strange struts and Viking shocks. Ride was significantly better than stock SVTPP suspension and held the power much better, too. Stance was perfect IMO. You can always go with one of BMR's stiffer spring rate packages. I think they really have the correct drop dialed in for these cars.

Islandcat

Established Member
I put a BMR setup on my GT500. Drag springs, Strange struts and Viking shocks. Ride was significantly better than stock SVTPP suspension and held the power much better, too. Stance was perfect IMO. You can always go with one of BMR's stiffer spring rate packages. I think they really have the correct drop dialed in for these cars.

I literally just did this setup last month. I got a bouncy ride until about 45. I think I figured the bouncy ride out last night, but I had to tighten the strange struts all the way. Now it doesn’t transfer weight like it was and doesn’t grip as well. What is your setting on the strange and warriors?

Catmonkey

I Void Warranties!
Established Member
Premium Member
A good track setup isn't necessarily a good street setup and vice versa. If you have adjustable shocks you can dial them in for your specific needs or find a compromise between the two.

Users who are viewing this thread