To go E85 or not

builttodrive

Established Member
I'm really liking the E85 since I made the switch this year. I have a lot of e85 in my area and like 20 stations in town that have it but I have found you have to map out stations if you are on a road trip. That and the fuel economy is about half from my 91 but so is the price! The lesser fuel range makes filling up come a lot more often but all in all I really like the benefits and safety factor. I also have a 91 pump tune that I could use in case of emergency and for storage during the winter months. A fuel pump tune to drain the tank and switch fuels is nice to have as well!

Shadow Grey 03

Established Member
I'm really liking the E85 since I made the switch this year. I have a lot of e85 in my area and like 20 stations in town that have it but I have found you have to map out stations if you are on a road trip. That and the fuel economy is about half from my 91 but so is the price! The lesser fuel range makes filling up come a lot more often but all in all I really like the benefits and safety factor. I also have a 91 pump tune that I could use in case of emergency and for storage during the winter months. A fuel pump tune to drain the tank and switch fuels is nice to have as well!

That's the best way to do it. You use roughly 30% more fuel when running e-85. Well worth it to me.

d1sc46

Established Member
Need opinions, will have car swapped to e85 in a few weeks and deciding on a new cat back. I like the 3 inch Bassani for looks and figured bigger equals more hp when having it tuned. Thanks

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
Need opinions, will have car swapped to e85 in a few weeks and deciding on a new cat back. I like the 3 inch Bassani for looks and figured bigger equals more hp when having it tuned. Thanks

Your not going to benefit a whole lot putting on a 3" catback exhaust. My initial tune after adding LT headers was minimal, but the sound is badass. Put some money towards cooling mods if you haven't already.

d1sc46

Established Member
Already have LFP heat exchanger. Curious, yet not sure I want to know lol. What's a safe range of rwhp with E85 on stock block? I know it depends on tune and I have heard/seen different numbers. Thanks

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
What about a 170 Tstat and head cooling mod? A different heat exchanger hasn't really proven to keep iat temps down in my experience. As far as hp, that's a tricky one to answer, but yes it's all in the tune.

R.D.P.

Extra Sprinkles
Established Member
Already have LFP heat exchanger. Curious, yet not sure I want to know lol. What's a safe range of rwhp with E85 on stock block? I know it depends on tune and I have heard/seen different numbers. Thanks

Depends on boost level. For me, my car will never see over 22lbs on the stock long block. If I do that 22lbs with a 2.9 and e85 someday, that will be good for 700whp+. I'm going to up the boost on my car 2lbs next year to about 19lbs max, plus e85 and will be hoping for 650whp, an increat of 64whp, which I think should be doable.

d1sc46

Established Member
I do have head cooling mod just totally forgot lol. Will look into 170 Thermostat. As of rwhp I have seen posted 720+ on 21-22 pds with TVS but we'll see. I'd rather not be unsafe,,, and throw any more money at my speed addiction :D

Last edited:

jtkz13

Established Member
What kind of power are you making currently? I'm curious to see your results when/if you go to E85.

I've got a KB 2.8H that makes just about 600whp on 93octane/18psi and 650whp with a mix of 50/50 race & pump gas and 21psi. I think I'd like the extra power and safety of E85, but I'm having a hard time with the extra up-front cost when it runs great on pump gas right now.

if it could make 650whp+ on E85 it might be worth it.

Last edited:

jtkz13

Established Member
It's a "non-mammoth" if that matters, but I do have LT's and 3" exhaust.

I'm assuming I'd need to redo the whole fuel system right? 60lb injectors and KB BAP right now.

04sleeper

Runs On "Liquid Gold"
Super Moderator
It's a "non-mammoth" if that matters, but I do have LT's and 3" exhaust.

I'm assuming I'd need to redo the whole fuel system right? 60lb injectors and KB BAP right now.
Non-Mammoth doesn't matter. 750+ all day long on E85.

Yes, return style fuel system and minimum 80# injectors.

1wheel

Established Member
I'm currently making 650+ on 2.9 on 93+meth tune , I'm wondering if the ID 850's full fore return style Gss342 will be enough .

d1sc46

Established Member
Currently 650rwhp /600rwtq @19.5 pds stock lower 2.8 upper. Yes a little high for 93. Thats why I'm going E85. Doing a 4pd lower keeping 2.8 upper hoping 21pds+ and would like 700rwhp/ rwtq lol

d1sc46

Established Member
Apologies for late post lol, Definitely need new tires next few days. After E85 conversion my dyno numbers were
719rwhp /672rwtq. Not to shabby....

Users who are viewing this thread