To ceramic coat or not to ceramic coat (headers)

Coosawjack

Established Member
I coated the headers on my AC Cobra replica and they looked nice for awhile but after several years got very dull....never could tell if there was a reduction in temperature so probably not??:(

If you get SS headers they will discolor but not corrode so I guess it's strictly an appearance improvement if it's worth the cost to ya??o_O

Good Luck whatever you do!!:)

M240Bravo

Established Member
If you have new ones or you have them out do it. Makes them last longer, knocks down the ping sound of header sound, drops heat more then you think.

geoffmt

Established Member
Premium Member
Absolutely get them coated if new or sandblasted, the shiny silver will dull over time, can be brought back a little with mothers polish. But there are other satin and flat colors
IMG_5478.JPG
IMG_5439.JPG
IMG_5313.JPG
IMG_5478.JPG

TERMN8U

Established Member
Absolutely get them coated if new or sandblasted, the shiny silver will dull over time, can be brought back a little with mothers polish. But there are other satin and flat colorsView attachment 1519923View attachment 1519924View attachment 1519925View attachment 1519923
One of my businesses is ceramic coating for Bombardier, Hindle and Brothers.
We only use Cerakote and I can tell you without a doubt that it’s the best product on the market.
Cerakote will cut the heat emitted by roughly %40. It will reduce under hood temps, create more power and extend the life of the components.
I don’t recommend the aluminum type finish, as it’s not capable of maintaining its appearance and it’s only good up to 1600’f vs 2000’f for the Cerakote glacier coating.

Attachments

• 4B8C5A75-8AD9-4D45-8B85-E635A7A419EB.jpeg
    4B8C5A75-8AD9-4D45-8B85-E635A7A419EB.jpeg
    219.6 KB · Views: 285
  • 3E4FFE0D-3102-469D-AD5E-CF188874BD61.jpeg
    3E4FFE0D-3102-469D-AD5E-CF188874BD61.jpeg
    314.9 KB · Views: 274

Harley#356

9.89 @ 138.78 in a HD!
Established Member
I went with Swaintech's White Lightning exhaust coating. The reviews and articles on it seemed to differentiate it above the rest as one of the only true ceramic coatings that actually makes a significant difference. Price wasn't terrible either.

Only comes in white because of the material, but they say you can paint it, so I used VHT high temp black exhaust paint and it turned out nice.

GT229.jpg
GT230.jpg
GT265.jpg
GT280.jpg
GT281.jpg

Catmonkey

I Void Warranties!
Established Member
Premium Member
I'd be curious to know how well that paint holds up. I'm not sure I could live with white either.

Robot_trainer

Established Member
I went with Swaintech's White Lightning exhaust coating. The reviews and articles on it seemed to differentiate it above the rest as one of the only true ceramic coatings that actually makes a significant difference. Price wasn't terrible either.

Only comes in white because of the material, but they say you can paint it, so I used VHT high temp black exhaust paint and it turned out nice.

View attachment 1522784 View attachment 1522785 View attachment 1522786 View attachment 1522787 View attachment 1522788
I had them Cerakote'd. Guy did an awesome job for $250. The rear flanges banged on the headers all the way home and didnt leave a mark. He did them inside and out.

Harley#356

9.89 @ 138.78 in a HD!
Established Member
I'd be curious to know how well that paint holds up. I'm not sure I could live with white either.

Swaintech says you can paint them, and I used 2000* VHT Header paint, so I expect it to hold up fine. It's amazing how much the coating soaks up. The paint sucks into the coating and turns black, it doesn't sit on top where it would flake off. Each header sucked up an entire can of paint and could have even soaked up more.

I had them Cerakote'd. Guy did an awesome job for $250. The rear flanges banged on the headers all the way home and didnt leave a mark. He did them inside and out.

I had a few parts cerakoted for my top end, more for cosmetics than heat. The swaintech stuff is way thicker than cerakote though. Hard to describe, but I peeled off the masking off the collector area and peeled the swaintech coating off the tape, and the coating was thicker than the tape, and plyable i could bend it and twist it without it cracking or breaking. Interesting stuff.

ram150

USMC veteran
Established Member
I’m not trying to jack the thread but, this was the only thread I could find that was still active.
So I have a 2008 gt500 and I’m looking to purchase some Dynatech long tube headers, is it worth the ceramic coating option? I was looking at Lethal Performance and they offer it. Just wasn’t sure. Thanks.

SVTdreamin04

What's a "Termi"???
Established Member
Premium Member
I’m not trying to jack the thread but, this was the only thread I could find that was still active.
So I have a 2008 gt500 and I’m looking to purchase some Dynatech long tube headers, is it worth the ceramic coating option? I was looking at Lethal Performance and they offer it. Just wasn’t sure. Thanks.

Some of the ceramic coating I've saw on some headers is terrible. If you go to a reputable shop for cera coating, then yes, it's worth it. I live very close to a guy who's been doing it for 20 years who made my MAC long tubes look brand new and the coating is tough as nails.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ZOMBEAST

Killed by Death
Established Member
Did the Swain coating and painted high heat black about 10k miles ago. Still holding up well. I was actually thinking of also wrapping them to further reduce under hood temps. Any thoughts or experience doing this? If you did wrap, what did you use?

Users who are viewing this thread