To Cam or not to Cam?

DexwarL

Established Member
I have a 99 with over 100k on the stock block, I love the sound of cammed L's and have a chance to purchase some crowers stage II's for a great price. Have a few ?s

1. Would this be a wise chose with the miles on my stock motor and the mods I have listed in my sig?

2. What gains in RWHP would I get?

Thanks Guys

Brahmus

SVT Cajun
Established Member
I would say yes! Even if the motor lets go later you can swap the cams into another stocker to replace it or use them in a built motor.

I don't think the mileage is a big issue if you know how the truck was driven prior, maintainence, etc.

You will need injectors and you'll be close to needing pumps. With a good tune, you should see another 50rwhp give or take.

I have about the same setup as you, a few less miles and a stage II port and I plan on some comp cams in the near future.

Fade 2 Black

Gen 2 Diehard
Established Member
You have to replace the springs as well. It's a LOT of work but well worth the 60-70 rwhp that you'll see once it's retuned. Custom tuning is a MUST as well.

bda1855

Member of the Boosted16
Established Member
DO IT YES!!!!!

I love my Comp cams...

you will need to change the springs yes, but based on your other mods you might now need pumps and injectors...

Im running stock injectors and stock pumps right now, no issues...

ill check the tune again when it gets cold...

FordFanStan

Established Member
I ran stock MAF, injectors, and pumps for a long while with a stage 2 topend. Get the Crower matched springs is my suggestion, that way you know they are matched and are designed to work together. Are these cams used? If so check out the main journals on them and make sure they are cleanand not grooved or scratched at all... Stan

charliehustle

Beer Me!!!
Established Member
I have close to the same setup and was wondering the same thing.

Is there any other supporting mods for the cams/springs besides the pumps and injectors?

MaxPower

She likes Spaghetti
Established Member
Cams can be done with the engine in... BUT IT WILL BE A COMPLETE NIGHTMARE!! Especially trying to get the valve covers back on.

You're best bet is to pull the engine. Not many more seals will be required than if you did it in the engine bay..

If you have the time and patience, it can be done.

Swapping heads while the engine is still in, is not recommended. It's awful in there!!! :eek:

Slider

aka=Brad
Established Member
MaxPower said:
Cams can be done with the engine in... BUT IT WILL BE A COMPLETE NIGHTMARE!! Especially trying to get the valve covers back on.

You're best bet is to pull the engine. Not many more seals will be required than if you did it in the engine bay..

If you have the time and patience, it can be done.

Swapping heads while the engine is still in, is not recommended. It's awful in there!!! :eek:
I did all of this stuff with the engine still in. Like you said, if you take your time its not too bad. I would recomend if you are doing the heads when you are doing cams, then just go ahead and pull the motor. If you are just doing cams, you could get away with just taking the valve covers off. I think there is a tool that you can get to where you dont have to take the timing cover off. It is a tool that will hold onto the chain while you change your cams. Maybe I am just dreaming but I could have swore I have seen a tool that does this. If there is not tool, trust me, its not too hard to get the timing cover off either. Just remember to take your time. Dont rush into anything and get frustrated. And take well needed breaks before you break anything. Getting the valve covors off were not that hard for me. Maybe I just lucked out and found an easy way to do it???

FordFanStan

Established Member
I think there is a tool for that slider, though I dont recommend installing the cams without removing the timing cover and most importantly retiming the cams... Stan

Slider

aka=Brad
Established Member
FordFanStan@DMP said:
I think there is a tool for that slider, though I dont recommend installing the cams without removing the timing cover and most importantly retiming the cams... Stan
Very true. Getting it one tooth off and your:burn:

bda1855

Member of the Boosted16
Established Member
charliehustle said:
Retiming the cams is in the tune right? Sorry for the :bash: question.

No...

its in the setting of the timing chains.. .

its always a VERY good idea to Time the cams as well... and doing that while the motor is in the truck is a MAJOR PITA...

Dante told me he wont do it in the truck, he takes the cams and times them on another motor of the same specs, then installs them...

since i didnt have an extra 5.4 motor i had to do it in the truck.. took me several weeks to get it perfect... and im still not sure its perfect... but my measurements are within spec...

PS i was off 6.5 degrees with one cam, and this was using fird cam gears on Comp Cams... i had to file down the keyway to get enough adjustability out of the ford cam gear... my centerline on the intake is 109.5 deg on the pass side, and 110 on the drivers... thats as close as i could get... the cam card has the centerline at 109 deg.

bartender_77

Established Member
Slider said:
I did all of this stuff with the engine still in. Like you said, if you take your time its not too bad. I would recomend if you are doing the heads when you are doing cams, then just go ahead and pull the motor. If you are just doing cams, you could get away with just taking the valve covers off. I think there is a tool that you can get to where you dont have to take the timing cover off. It is a tool that will hold onto the chain while you change your cams. Maybe I am just dreaming but I could have swore I have seen a tool that does this. If there is not tool, trust me, its not too hard to get the timing cover off either. Just remember to take your time. Dont rush into anything and get frustrated. And take well needed breaks before you break anything. Getting the valve covors off were not that hard for me. Maybe I just lucked out and found an easy way to do it???
your right, there is a tool to help you install the cams with out removing the timing cover, its made by Andersons Motosports ,but it only works on romeo engines 4.6, not windsor 5.4 engines, trust me on this one I bought the tool only to find out that all of the winsor engines have the cam gear pressed on, so the only way to change the cams is by taking the cover off, and like everyone else said it is a pain in the ass, the tool will work great on romeo engines do.

DexwarL

Established Member
Sounds good guys thanks for all the information, I will be getting these cams and all of the needed mods to go with it.

Users who are viewing this thread