To buy or not to buy?

TexasTyler

Established Member
Hey fella's,

I've been a lurker on here for a long time and have really enjoyed all of the information. I've got a 96 Mystic that has been torn down and in storage for nearly 20 years. Kids and family stuff got in the way for a while... and I'm getting really close to building it back up or picking up a new (to me) toy and keeping the Mystic covered.
This leads me to my question:
I came across a local SN95 Cobra that has a built bottom end, but recently blew the supercharger. The seller said the SC locked up, and he had to cut the belt to free it up. From there, the engine started up and seems to run fine.
When a SC grenades like that, is it possible that the shrapnel is contained, or is it a certainty that metal got into the engine? Should I even consider this car? If so, what should I look for to ensure that I'm not buying a ticking time bomb?
Any help would be appreciated!

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
Is it a self contained supercharger or is it fed oil from the engine? If it's self contained then the oil side of things is fine. Check to see if pieces of the impeller came off and went into the engine.

TexasTyler

Established Member
Thanks Yeller!
It had a ProCharger, which I believe are self contained. If the impeller is not shredded and there is nothing in the intake manifold, do you think that's a good start?
Also, looking at your sig... Dude, a Mystichrome with a Whipple? Drool...

Slow 99

Nothing to see here
Established Member
If it was a procharger, I believe everything would be fine bottom end wise. When it locked up it stopped putting boost through the engine and since the belt was cut I think everything should be fine. I would go for it but just in case, when you get there, do a compression check to see if it blew a ringland just in case and shine a light on the dipstick when you pull it out to make sure you don't see any bearing material.

TexasTyler

Established Member
Thank you for the peace of mind! I planned on doing a compression check, but great idea on the light on the dipstick. I'll check it out this weekend.
Thanks guys!

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
Thanks Yeller!
It had a ProCharger, which I believe are self contained. If the impeller is not shredded and there is nothing in the intake manifold, do you think that's a good start?
Also, looking at your sig... Dude, a Mystichrome with a Whipple? Drool...
Prochargers are self contained. That's one of the reasons I like them. I had a D1 and F1A on my old 01 Cobra.

Thanks. It's a fun car. Unfortunately the next thing is paint.

Users who are viewing this thread