Votes: 13 6.7%
  • A6....Wish i woulda went M6 for fun

Votes: 3 1.5%
  • A6...Love it, never going back to stick

Votes: 74 38.1%

• Total voters

Skip01

Established Member
Welp....its getting close to that time that i gotta shit or get off the pot...'13 5.0 is one of the only cars i can see in my grasp thats practical and same time fast enough

But with all the threads on the MT82 having issues, im so nervous about that....if there were nothing to worry about id DEF get a M6 for fun as this will not be my daily driver

A6...i see ZERO Cons too it other than boring(in my not knowing true auto fastest eyes)

So knowing what u know now and what you went with what would do going back to that day of purchase

PLASMAN

Don
Established Member
Would do the auto 10x over again, as far as boring you need to find someone local who is tuned for a ride.

I'm sure your going to get a bunch of people telling you to search this is discussed at length every other week here...lol

1sweetSVT

too low
Established Member
i went a6 in my 14....
stock this thing sucks. hate the way it feels/shifts...but i havent been tuned yet. should be a whole different ride when tuned.

truebluedevil02

Captain Jackstands
Established Member
I am going FROM a M6 TO an A6 next week. The stick is fun but honestly, with the sport mode on the new autos, they are enjoyable as well, and you NEVER have to worry about the issues that many people have with the MT82's. Rather, you can sit back and enjoy the ride.

BTW, I have a 2013 M6 right now, bought it new, now has almost 17K miles. No real issues with the trans other than the lazy clutch which is COMPLETELY driver based IMO. Clutch will get lazy AFTER a run, but NEVER during a run, so I dont know what people are crying about. No noises, or anything like that. But I have noticed over the last week that my 2nd gear is starting to get a little "notchy" going in so that was enough motivation to change to the auto. Stronger tans, no missed gears, no lazy clutch, no whining, or locking into gear. Also, out of 6 MT82 owners I know, 3 of us have had/are starting to have issues, 2 of us have blown at least 1 trans, the new trans is already starting to act up on one car, and now my trans is starting to show very subtle signs of bad things to come. I completely think that it its simply driver and amount of abuse that makes these trans die. Beat on it a lot and it wont last long, play nice when driving and be "gentle" when racing and it will do ok. But that is just my take on it.

I voted for the Auto BTW.

Elwood617

Established Member
I guess it depends what you are going to do with your car, and how much you want a manual. My MT82 has been awesome, but I've got an MGW shifter, CHE racing torque limiters and k-member brace, I also removed the helper spring on the clutch. I beat my car on the track, (both road and 1/4 mile) and haven't had any problems with it. The problem is the remote shifter, hence my mods to correct it.
If you want a transmission that you can forget about and run consent times, get the auto.
If you really want a manual, you will want to get a quality shifter for it.
I love my manual car :)

BV600

Established Member
I had a procharged 2012 M6 got rid of it JUST to get an A6. I love my 14 Auto just cant wait to get more power in it.

I had very minimal shifting issues with the M6...9.5psi 7500rpm. High flow clutch line and barton shifter w bracket was all I had. Jamming gears no issues but slow granny shifting is what sucked.

Last edited:

125oh

Established Member
2012 m6 here . I was worried also buying mine but i had to have the manual for the fun factor ,im not a hater of the auto in anyway and know for serious power and better track times they are better. that being said. Ive only had one problem with mine , one night doing a little racing against friends i missed 3rd 3 times in a row . I got the barton bracket and no problem since . I have 6000 miles so far 510hp with 100 shot . Good luck with your decision .

Blazer707@TBR

Master Ford Tech
Authorized Vendor
I voted for m6.

I haven't had a single problem with my transmission. Shifts good and does everything I need it too. More then likely I will be going to an auto later this year or early next year just for the fact they can handle a lot of power.

-Thomas

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
OP, the 6r80 transmission turned the Mustang world upside down. It didn't help that the MT82 transmission is inferior in comparison. Since the 13-14 select shift debuted, manual owners can't even use the road course excuse. All they can do is say "autos are boring". Well, this one isn't boring to me. I have select shift "S" for mpg efficiency and "D" mode for killing.

i went a6 in my 14....
stock this thing sucks. hate the way it feels/shifts...but i havent been tuned yet. should be a whole different ride when tuned.

You will never look back after being tuned.

Last edited:

460cidpower

Established Member
My M6 car has 21K miles on it and already I have issues. I swore I'd never own an auto car but after the POS that is the MT-82, I wish I'd payed a little extra and bought a used GT500 with the Tremec TR6060. A used 2011 GT500 can be had for ~$40k. In addition to a better trans, the GT500 has forged internals and a blower from the factory.

Last edited:

tvanlant

Established Member
My '13 A6 is the first of my many non-dd cars to be a automatic. I was worried I would be bored, but I love it. The 2013+ autos with select shift make it a lot more fun to drive.

Force Induced

Boost Addict
Established Member
While I wholeheartedly love rowing through gears on a track but the absolute best performing cars are auto and paddle shift type transmissions.

I miss my old evolution for auto x and track days but I absolutely love feeling raw power and going fast as well. There is still a large market for manual clutch cars out there but if you look at all the high end cars anymore they are clutch less paddle shifters.

Last edited:

5.0jake

Established Member
I had an 11' auto and was bored to death. Traded for a 12' brembo manual a year and a half ago and have been happy ever since. I currently have 20k miles without any signs of issues.
If you plan on staying stock and like driving manual, forget the auto. Without a tune the stock auto is lame as hell!
If you're planning on making big power and frequently hit the drag strip go with the auto.
Sport shift is nice but doesn't come close to the control of manual give me a break.:rollseyes

Last edited:

01bluesnake

Established Member
Ive driven both and each have their advantages and disadvantages. It really comes down to if you prefer driving stick or auto at the end. The M6 car will perform great with a few bolt on parts where the A6 really needs a tune and converter before they wake up. On the other hand the auto is super stout and consistent without any worries of the issues talked about with the MT82 and soft clutch plates from the factory. Some times i wish i bought the auto because when modded and stalled are fun to drive. I have no complaints about my MT82 though, never have had one issue minus trying to take the car over 7300rpm where i needed to do the clutch line upgrade. If you plan to stay N/A or just want to have fun with some bolt ons and enjoy driving stick, M6. If you plan to do any big power mods or forced induction the auto will be easier in the long run and produce more consistent numbers at the track as well.

HEMI LOL

Twin Screwed
Established Member
I guess it depends what you are going to do with your car, and how much you want a manual. My MT82 has been awesome, but I've got an MGW shifter, CHE racing torque limiters and k-member brace, I also removed the helper spring on the clutch. I beat my car on the track, (both road and 1/4 mile) and haven't had any problems with it. The problem is the remote shifter, hence my mods to correct it.
If you want a transmission that you can forget about and run consent times, get the auto.
If you really want a manual, you will want to get a quality shifter for it.
I love my manual car :)

amen

Ratchet

Established Member
I have a 13 M6...It is in right now getting the trans rebuilt. Was never that hard on it really, only been to the track twice and got maybe 8 runs out of it before it started locking out of 2nd and 4th. Anytime I wanted to have some fun and speed shift at an RPM over 4500 it would grind into gears... and started howling a bit just before I took it into the dealer. So when I get it back, I am going to put the MGW I have here in, along with the clutch line upgrade, dot 4 fluid, MGW syncromesh and probably take out the helper spring as well. Sometimes I think I should have gotten the auto... but I have been driving manuals my whole life... and when push came to shove I couldn't get the auto. No matter how stout it was. haha :beer:

StangMan04

Established Member
If you plan to go to the drag strip get a A6. If you plan to stay on the street and enjoy shifting get the M6.

I have a A6 and would buy it again every time. The mustang automatic trans has come a long way.

mebcop

MasterDebater
Established Member
I've put 27K miles on my M6 2012. About 5K of those with a TVS. Been down the 1/4 mile quite a few times. I don't have any issues other than the clutch feeling spongy when driven hard, but that will be fixed with a clutch upgrade that I need anyways with the TVS. I've driven both M6's and A6's. I fully agree that the A6 is easier to be faster/more consistent at the track, but I enjoy driving my M6 more. I'm ok with being slower, it's not like my car is slow...lol

Users who are viewing this thread