Tivo Hacking?

trplblacksnake

Alcohol disposal unit!
Established Member
Anyone in here into hacking tivos. Ive just started getting into it and must say its much easier than I thought. Right now Im working on turning HMO on on my Directv SD-DVR120s so I can share movie recordings between the two. Ive got the sorce code and just have to copy it over to the actual drives. I havent done that yet because Im waiting on getting a couple USB 2.0 network adapters so I can hook it up to the network. If anyone else has done any of this please shair you experience and what your doing with your tivo right now. What are some good programs to load on the tivo. One Ive got to get is the Tivowebplus.

Duende

Thomas @ AppOSL.com
Established Member
Does this work with Comcast DVR?

Also, could you say all that again in layman's terms? I really have no clue what you're talking about, but if it would expand the capabilities of my DVR, I'm all about it.

trplblacksnake

Alcohol disposal unit!
Established Member
comcast dvrs arent made by tivo unfortunately. So it would not work. Now you can get a stand alone tivo and set this up. You will need a simple knowledge of Linux (operating system different than Windows) to do it though. The sorce code is a set of instructions you feed to the computer to do different things. Essentially the Tivo is a low grade linux server that allows you to save tv onto it via a video card. HMO is a home media terminal that allows you to tranfer video from one tivo to the other one tivo to the computer or listen to music on your tv (or high end receiver) and view photos from your computer on your tv. Its one of the best setups Ive seen and it allows you to do alot of different things.

theraapster

Established Member
I guess you have a series 1 tivo? I've thought about doing that to just put a bigger hard drive in for more recording capacity. The series2 can already be networked to share between tivos,, stream music or pictures, and transfer recordings to your pc. The problem with transfering to your pc is that it takes FOREVER.

trplblacksnake

Alcohol disposal unit!
Established Member
no I have a set of series 2 Directv Tivos which dont have any of that enabled but have the software there to unlock for those of us that are able to do it. As long as you enable the usb 2.0 drivers it takes ALOT less time to transfer to your computer.

theraapster

Established Member
Where do you enable the usb 2.0 drivers (I assume you are talking about the tivo's because that is where the network adapter comes out of?) Is it a hack you have to do with some special software? Or something you can do easily in a stock Tivo. Please point me in the direction of where you got the software or other websites that have helped you out along the way.

Users who are viewing this thread