Tires...

JoeNashville

Ghostrider
Established Member
OK people, I've found a place that sells Goodrich G-force 275/40-17s at $63 each. These are normally $200+tires per each.

However, they are left side ONLY.

For autocross use, does this matter? The KDs are DRY ONLY, all I can find is information that the tread design is asymmetrical which can account for left only/right only.

The precursor to the G-force, the R1s, were left/right because of carcass differences. When they phased out the R1s and went to the G-force tires, we all howled because they were NOT specific side built per carcass.

So, that said, why can't I run these cheap G-forces for autocross use, even if they are all lefts???

The only reason I can see why is because of carcass differences, NOT tread differences since they are dry only and autocross use only.

Thanks for your input.

Last edited:

cito

Official Kumho Shredder
Established Member
This might be a little off topic, but I wouldn't do that. I really wouldn't use those tires for autocross anyway unless you are running a street tire class. You will enjoy it a lot more and have more fun, in my opinion, if you run race tires instead. Victoracers are great and only about 170 apiece in that size.

If you wanted to take advantage of the great deal on those tires, I would buy two for the left side and try to find the best price you could for the right.

BTW, I have two used Hoosier A3SO3's in that size with some life in them. Maybe we could work some sort of trade out for that pumpkin you have?

JoeNashville

Ghostrider
Established Member
cito said:
This might be a little off topic, but I wouldn't do that. I really wouldn't use those tires for autocross anyway unless you are running a street tire class. You will enjoy it a lot more and have more fun, in my opinion, if you run race tires instead. Victoracers are great and only about 170 apiece in that size.

If you wanted to take advantage of the great deal on those tires, I would buy two for the left side and try to find the best price you could for the right.

BTW, I have two used Hoosier A3SO3's in that size with some life in them. Maybe we could work some sort of trade out for that pumpkin you have?

Well, I can't do much with just 2 tires...but thanks for the thought Cito.

The housing is available on eBay, if you'd like to place a bid to buy it outright.

cito

Official Kumho Shredder
Established Member
Still, get some race tires. You won't believe the difference versus even good street tires like the KD's.

I did bid on it, but somebody else got it. I was going to use it for a tractech differential etc. Now, I will just have to pull mine out, which is well enough given that I have to pull out basically the whole rearend to do all of the bushings.

David Hester

Established Member
Little late, but for AutoCross, it really won't matter.
That said, I bought one of the last sets of R-1's, let them sit a winter and they were rocks the next year. Thought I'd use them for school practice sessions. Could not get them to stick. 1st front would push, and then rear would come out. That price, you won't have fresh tires. more frustrating than it would be worth. IMHO

David Hester

Established Member
"You're not too far off."
Dunno. Might get a different opinion on that from a couple of my ex-wifes.
Nope, not too far.
Chattanooga Region lost our AutoX site last year due to some renovations.
Our regular meetings are 1st tuesday of each month (except Feb- the 8th)
at Komatsu on Signal Mountain Road.
Best deals I've found on tires is John Berget in MN or WS, I forget which.
Used tires for 1/2 or less than new. See his ad in SportsCar or AutoWeek.
"Goodyear tires all sizes..." Real nice guy.

Users who are viewing this thread