Tires tracking and vibration at highway speeds

FiveLeeter918

OK Performance Fords
Established Member
Normally would never ask something like this online, but I'm at my wits end. Car is a 2011 GT, new Nitto NT555 255/45/18 tires all the way around. Kong Orange shocks/struts (05-09 GT), Steeda Ultralite springs, UPR tubular poly rear lower control arms, adjustable pan hard bar, camber bolts, GT500 strut mounts, UPR sway bar end links (heim joints.

About 500 miles ago, I started noticing that in a stretch of the highway I take daily, my car is tracking really bad in a way it hasn't before. They just laid a new layer of asphalt, and it's not the most level. When I drive in the lane that is was recently repaved, my car tends to track the line of the asphalt really bad, almost fighting me for control of the car. I didn't think much of it, and just started driving in the other lane. Car drives perfectly straight, had an alignment when I replaced front tires a few months ago.

Then this week, I started noticing a significant vibration at highway speeds (above 60 mph), that makes me a tad uneasy. When under acceleration, the car drives straight, but when I let off it has a slight pull to the right. It's causing a significant vibration in the steering wheel, as well as the passenger seat back.

I took it in to the shop that did my alignment, and they claim that my passenger side caliper needs to be rebuilt. While the car has 80k miles, I don't see this causing the issues I am experiencing. I also have a noticeable pinging sound one rapid bumps. It doesn't do it on a solo drop in grade, but if I drop down the back up immediately, you can hear a ping or clunk sound. Front control arms were replaced last year due to the hydrobushing, and I've checked both of them and no signs of cracking or wear. With the passenger tire off if you shake the hub you can hear something near the center of the car popping, but I am unable to track down what it is.

Anyone ever had this issue with a simple fix? I'm taking the car in on Thursday to have the wheels rebalanced, as it looks like they have fallen off the passenger side. Other than that, I'm at a loss.

rsb213

Established Member
There is a road about a half a mile from my house that does the exact same thing -- The road is uneven and the car wants to ride in a specific groove in the road, and the influence is very strong. Happened from the get-go on my Brand new 14 GT... I don't think its a defect with the car, perhaps a quirk.

Only happens on that one road for about 200 feet for me.

FiveLeeter918

OK Performance Fords
Established Member
I would have passed it off as that, but its happening in other areas, most of which my other car has no issue with.

Jabooh1

Established Member
Does the car wiggle back and forth or just steer to one side?

If a caliper is sticking on one side it could cause you to veer that direction but then should happen in multiple places.

Zandura99

Almost there
Established Member
I have had the vibration issue over miss-torqued wheels, but that would not explain the pull. The road may explain the pull where a badly set of torqued (impacted on) wheels could cause a phantom vibration. I have had on more than one occasion when the car gets back from the shop/dealer and a wheel was off where I had to take them all off, torqued the wheels in the air to 100 ft lbs and vwala! no more vibration.

Rct851

Established Member
I'm about to get the front end off the ground to try and fix the same thing. Just making sure everything is torqued/tightened/unbroken. And within a week or so going to have the alignment done and and wheels balanced. Mine tends to want to shimmy a little on newer asphalt but smooths out on concrete. Who knows

Users who are viewing this thread