Tire shop damaged a CCW

My Cobra

Gigidy Gigidy Gigidy
Established Member
Went to the tire shop to have some tires taken off of a set of CCW wheels. Loaded them in the back of the jeep to find this:

1472953_683326068364918_2145013991_n.jpg

603903_683326071698251_1955880443_n.jpg

1531934_683326065031585_343363928_o.jpg

They put the plastic on the arm to not scratch the wheels. They put the wheel on the machine upside down since the front lip was too big they said. They put a towel on each arm on the bottom of the machine to not scratch the wheel. You can see the red fabric in the gouge from the shop towels.

The tech that did the work said they are not responsible (He told me they had signs up i should have seen them). The owner called later and said to order one and stop by first of the week they would make it right (I dont think he knows how much they cost) . We will see if they do. If not i will pay for another i guess.

Schlangenbisse

Established Member
Damn that's such a shitty situation. How can they not be liable though? Shouldn't the customer feel comfortable using them for their service and not hoping they don't damage them in the process? Yeah I doubt he knows how much they cost. Even if they "make it right", I can't see you walking out of there not paying for a good part of the new wheel. Good luck man!

coposrv

Established Member
Hope it works out. I hate seeing this stuff but at least it sounds like the guys in the shop were doing their best to prevent the damage.

thepizz

OP is a good person
Established Member
Sorry man. Sucks. Best place to get tires mounted is always one of those rim shops that put 30s on Hummers etc. They always have the machines to handle the lips and widths.

Jroc

Established Member
Sorry man. Sucks. Best place to get tires mounted is always one of those rim shops that put 30s on Hummers etc. They always have the machines to handle the lips and widths.

This.

Use a high-end wheel/custom auto type shop FTMFW when dealing with tire changes and alignments. Any dumbass can get a job at Tire Kingdom. Some of the least mechanically inclined people I've known were able to get a job at Jiffy Lube or somewhere similar.

I had a regular old tire shop straight butt F my wheels on my old Roush.

Last edited:

R.D.P.

Extra Sprinkles
Established Member
I hate to see this. About 20yrs ago, my brother-in-law to be had this happen to his 928s. He was getting new rubber put on and they smashed one of his aftermarket rims. I can't remember the name of the rims now, but they were three piece and cost 3-4k and this was 20yrs ago. They were disco'd so the shop ended up having to buy him FOUR brand new 3 piece BBS. He was not the type of person you told no, they didn't even try to give him a hard time over it. I think he even got a partial refund on the tires for the inconvenience.

My current rims aren't anything special, only worth about 1k, but they are disco'd, so if one were to be damaged I would be screwed.

Last edited:

mach14604

Established Member
Good luck man. I went down this road about 2 years ago. I had to take it to the Better Business Bureau to get things fixed. It took about 2-3 months but did get the money back and got a free set of tires out of it. Was pissed because the wheels had been discontinued.

TorchedCoupe

Established Member
I'm in the same situation at the moment after a shop damaged the powdercoat on one of my ADV1 wheels. I watched the tech break the bead and needless to say I knew there was going to be damage. Luckily the owner of the chain was at the store and says he will send the wheel off to be refinished. Hopefully your rim gets repaired.

Sinister04L

RIP Kane
Established Member
I had terrible luck with wheel/tire shops. I finally found one that was decent. The manager of the store is a big car guy and he's the only one that handles my vehicles, wheels, and tires. Best of luck getting yours fixed or replaced.

01GTB

Established Member
We need a sticky with a list of reputable shops that have the right equipment and personnel that know what they are doing.

Shaneo0oMac

Established Member
Well atleast by extending the offer of you coming up to the shop with a bill for the wheel replacement sounds like they are trying to handle the situation appropriately

Kevins89notch

Established Member
I'm in the same situation at the moment after a shop damaged the powdercoat on one of my ADV1 wheels. I watched the tech break the bead and needless to say I knew there was going to be damage. Luckily the owner of the chain was at the store and says he will send the wheel off to be refinished. Hopefully your rim gets repaired.

ADV1s on a 03-04 cobra? :eek: :bowdown:

PICTURES NOW!

Jebadias

Established Member
It sounds to me like the tech was scared he would get in trouble for it or have to pay for it himself. The owner probably wants to do the right thing and replace the rim.

Don't be surprised if he handles everything for you well. Not all mechanics shops are greedy ripoff artists. There are many honest ones out there, you just never hear people complain about them. Of course don't be surprised if he trys to get out of it either. It's why I stick to one (honest) shop for everything that I can.

Good luck and update on how it goes.

My Cobra

Gigidy Gigidy Gigidy
Established Member
is the damaged wheel worth fixing if they buy another wheel? i hear its expensive to get them fixed.

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
is the damaged wheel worth fixing if they buy another wheel? i hear its expensive to get them fixed.

It's not that bad. I would think if they're going to be buying you a new one that they'll want the old one.

Also, a practically illegible sign on the wall is not going to serve as an effective liability waiver.

Mystic-SVT

snuggle fest, mmmmm!
Established Member
That wheel can be fixed so in case the tire shop owner ends up giving you a hard time on the actual price of a new replacement he can def pay for the wheel to be fixed. I've had wheels fixed before and there was a couple of wheels that I thought for sure were not fixable...wrong.

todd4566

Man Of Steel
Established Member
It's not that bad. I would think if they're going to be buying you a new one that they'll want the old one.

Also, a practically illegible sign on the wall is not going to serve as an effective liability waiver.

Agreed. I'm thinking that rim could be fixed to look new pretty easily. Good luck in either case.

On another note, I guess I won't be going to places like America's Tire anymore (?).

Users who are viewing this thread