tire recommendation for afs 18's

lifter213

Established Member
So like subject says I'm curious what tire everyone is running with 18x9 & 18x10.5 wheels. I still have my Kumho Ecsta MX tires on mine but they are in need of replacement. Those sizes are 275/35 and 295/35 but i'm having a hard time finding a new tire I like in those sizes.

Lemme know what you have and if you recommend them. I'm open for suggestions.

Thanks

roy_1031

roy1031
Established Member
What kind of driving do you do? How much power are you putting down? Will you drive in any inclement weather? High hp and low traction are recipes for disaster. I always ran a drag radial on mine but I was north of 700hp.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Brian Kuntzman

Terminator_mk6
Established Member
On mine I run a Toyo TQ in a 315/35/18 its a Radial that can still handle well. If you want more of a turning tire the R888r is amazing as well but only offered in a 315/30/18. I believe the extra sidewall looks and performs better.

TerminatoRS

Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
On mine I run a Toyo TQ in a 315/35/18 its a Radial that can still handle well. If you want more of a turning tire the R888r is amazing as well but only offered in a 315/30/18. I believe the extra sidewall looks and performs better.

Completely agree. I think that now makes 3 of us on here who swear by the TQ's. lol

If the numbers in the OP's sig are current, he could probably get away with something less sticky in exchange for added life.

lifter213

Established Member
Thanks for the suggestions so far. Yeah dyno numbers in sig are correct. I don't drive it much so added life isn't really a concern (orig owner with 20k miles). I would need something that's gonna tuck inside the fenders like my current tires do. That's where i'm running into limited options.

TerminatoRS

Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
I've got the same wheels and springs (I'm assuming that by H&R you have the race springs). No spacers, no rolled fenders...etc just low profile IRS bolts and the 315/35 TQ's fit beautifully. No excess sidewall bulge or anything.

Sticking with the two recommendations thus far...
As stated, many will recommend the R888/R888R which is certainly another good option. However, while you'll gain better cornering ability, you'll sacrifice some straight line grip (888's are 100 treadwear road race compound while the TQ's are a 0 treadwear drag radial). Whether or not handling matters to you totally depends on how you enjoy the car. Personally, I'm an average Joe so I live in the stop light to stop light world where ripping around a corner doesn't present itself often. And when it does, TQ's have been more than adequate for as hard as I'm willing to push the car. In addition to handling vs grip, the 888's aren't offered with the same sidewall profile; they're almost always shorter and that's for a reason. How much shorter will obviously depend on the width, but will affect appearance (fender gap) and ride quality. A drag radial generally has a taller, softer sidewall mostly to aid in flex and bite. The 888 has a stiffer sidewall to help maintain maximum contact patch with the pavement around a corner. Some also say that the 888's are a little noisy. I had them (315/30's) before the TQ's, but I honestly don't recall them being especially loud.

To sum it up, if you've been happy with the performance of the 295 Kumho's and don't really desire to go wider or taller, look at either version of the 888's. You'll get improved handling, grip, maybe a little noise, and perhaps longer life. If you want flat out straight line grip, a softer ride, and aren't worried about longevity, 315/35/18 TQ's.

It's worth noting that Nitto is currently launching a new version of their drag radial. It looks more like a street tire (like what you have) than an all-out DR. Sizes are limited at the moment, but the flexibility of the design might be just what you're looking for. Forgive me as I've forgotten what they're calling it.

Albatross

Established Member
the 315/35 TQ's fit beautifully. No excess sidewall bulge or anything.

^^ Would you mind posting a photo of the TQ mounted on the 10.5 AFS wheels? I also have the 10.5 AFS reps on the rear and was about to pull the trigger on the 305/35r18 R888R because I figured the TQ would be too big in a 315. I have heard Toyos run wide. How do you like the TQ vs the R888R? Is the straight line grip really that much better? Any sway at high speeds with the TQ?

lifter213

Established Member
I've got the same wheels and springs (I'm assuming that by H&R you have the race springs). No spacers, no rolled fenders...etc just low profile IRS bolts and the 315/35 TQ's fit beautifully. No excess sidewall bulge or anything.

I've got the H&R super sport springs and yeah no rolled fenders, no spacers, and no low profile IRS bolts either. Never needed to swap the bolts with the current setup.

Thanks for all the info on the R888/R888R and TQ's i'll have to compare some numbers to see how to proceed.

You have any pics of either or both mounted up you could share?

BMSTNG

Established Member
I Agree 100% I also run the 315/35/18 Toyo TQ on my 18x11 CCW SP500's and couldn't be happier. The look is amazing and sits perfect with the fender well. Of course you need the right back spacing to make it all work. Rides really nice also no problems at all on road or highway's

TerminatoRS

Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
^^ Would you mind posting a photo of the TQ mounted on the 10.5 AFS wheels? I also have the 10.5 AFS reps on the rear and was about to pull the trigger on the 305/35r18 R888R because I figured the TQ would be too big in a 315. I have heard Toyos run wide. How do you like the TQ vs the R888R? Is the straight line grip really that much better? Any sway at high speeds with the TQ?

I don't think I have any good pics handy at the moment, but I can certainly take some when I get home from work. I'll double check in a bit and see what I've got for now.

I'm one of the few who didn't think the 888's were quite so spectacular. Granted when I had them, I was making somewhere in the 540's for power and had 4.10 gears. I could break them loose at will unless it was 80+ degrees out. Now with the TQ's, 70 more rwhp, and 3.55's, I certainly can't go crazy in first gear, but I've got the majority of second back. Some spin from 40mph, but they just scream and fight while still grabbing enough to pick up speed. I generally don't just stomp it anyway; I roll into it which also helps the power delivery. I run them at about 25psi and haven't noticed any kind of sway at any speed.

I've got the H&R super sport springs and yeah no rolled fenders, no spacers, and no low profile IRS bolts either. Never needed to swap the bolts with the current setup.

I think you'll need the low profile bolts if you decide to go with a 305 and especially a 315. The tires rub the IRS frame/cradle when I lift up the rear of the car, but square up nicely when it's on the ground. There's quite a few differing experiences when it comes to this, however. Some folks need a spacer on one or both sides, some don't need anything at all. The bolts are cheap, easy, and give you a c-hair more clearance which might be all you need. The last thing you want is the head of the stock IRS bolt(s) digging into the inside of the tire(s) as the suspension travels.

TerminatoRS

Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
Not the greatest views for this, but it gives you an idea for now.

Image1590675740.215765.jpg

Image1590675819.059751.jpg

TerminatoRS

Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
Trying to give an idea of fitment and scale. If it weren’t raining out, I’d get some that are from farther away. H&R race springs with the factory isolators.
Image1590692214.212462.jpg

Image1590692336.762938.jpg

From the inside of the fender lip
Image1590694917.914728.jpg

Image1590694967.486925.jpg

Tape is 1.5” wide
Image1590694986.030424.jpg

Albatross

Established Member
Trying to give an idea of fitment and scale. If it weren’t raining out, I’d get some that are from farther away. H&R race springs with the factory isolators.

Very nice! Thank you so much for posting those pics. That is one good looking sonic blue Terminator!! Now if I could only decide between the R888R and the TQ.

TerminatoRS

Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
Thank you sir! Good luck

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

Zunit2345

Established Member
^We've even got the same front tires. Aren't we special lol

Nice, I didn’t even notice that. Lol

What size are the front tires on yours?

Mine came with 255/40/18 in the front when I bought the wheels but I’m gonna change them out to 275/35/18 soon.

TerminatoRS

Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
I want to say I've got the 275's. I'll have to check when I get home. Knowing myself, I highly doubt I'd have gone narrower than stock. ha

KBR

Established Member
Hi guys...sorry to drag up an old thread, but I have to purchase tires and need to decide between 315/30-18 R888Rs and 315/35-18 TQs. My car is low, but adjustable on MM coil-overs. I have low profile IRS bolts, but not rolled fenders. 315/35-17 R888s just barely fit and slightly rub on big sudden bumps. How does the fitment compare between the 2 tires? Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread