Tire Question...Search is down...

Sonic03svt

Established Member
I know that this is a repeat question, but I'm looking to get some new tires, and I'm undecided. (search is down, and after about 10 pages of threads, I got tired of looking:bored: )

Here's the senario...I need two new rears (for some reason the rears wear out really quickly on this car:rollseyes ).

I'm not a big fan of the factory F1's, but I haven't seen a tire that I do like. I don't need a drag radial, or anything like that, I don't make it to the track very often. I would much rather have a tire that hooks fairly well on dry pavement and doesn't wear too terribly bad. I usually just drive it to work every once in a while, and play around on the weekends.

Any suggestions?

Also, where is a good place to purchase?

Thanks for any help!!:rockon:

Last edited:

miniSHO

Established Member
I like the bfgoodrich g-force KDW and KDWS. I had the KDWS on my old SVT contour and it was a great all season performance tire. The KDW is more like the goodyear Eagle F1 -- more of a summer only perfomance tire. You can check out the specs at www.tirerack.com

bones

Established Member
I need new tires as well. I'm leaning toward Goodyear GS D3, BFG KD or BFG KDW. I had the KD's on my 92 LX and they were great. Excellent traction and great wear for a performance tire. But they're strictly dry road tires. Being in California that's OK for me. The KDW are good for rain but not for snow.

Gray03Cobra

Established Member
I researched quite a bit before buying the Pirelli PZero Nero M&S. They turned out to be really good all around tires. But not the best for launching hard (as in from a 1/4 mile start line).

bcwang

SVT Enthusiast
Established Member
I bought the Pirelli PZero Nero M+S on my mustang GT after doing a lot of research. However, after getting it, they actually seemed to have less dry grip than the original Goodyear Gatorbacks they were replacing. However, they were much quieter tires and seemed to have better wet traction than the gatorbacks. In addition, the treadwear rating was much higher than the gatorbacks, and my goodyears lasted 33k miles.

JR_Cobra

Established Member
I just got the GS-D3s. Couldn't be happier. Look great, grip like crazy and are excellent in the rain.

Good luck!

Gray03Cobra

Established Member
Similar results here

Originally posted by bcwang
I bought the Pirelli PZero Nero M+S on my mustang GT after doing a lot of research. However, after getting it, they actually seemed to have less dry grip than the original Goodyear Gatorbacks they were replacing. However, they were much quieter tires and seemed to have better wet traction than the gatorbacks. In addition, the treadwear rating was much higher than the gatorbacks, and my goodyears lasted 33k miles.

Hey bcwang,

I found similar results. The PZero's were not up to our highest standards for dry traction compared to Michelin Pilots, BFG KW's or Toyo's best Ultra High Perf tires.

About 92 to 95% I would say of the dry traction max for the best out there. But I wasn't buying them for that. What keeps me saying good things about them is the wet traction. It rains enought in northern Texas to make it a big part of my decision. When pushing over 400 HP to the ground you can make some stupid moves with very little effort.

Besides look at it this way.

1. Bought them for $148 each from Tirerack. Michelin Pilots run around 300 each.
2. We have 8000 miles on them now and they look good for another 12-15k.
3. Saleen puts them on their S281's (Not a bad endorsement)
4. The new Mustang GTs use them on many as the upgraded tire. (There should numerous repalcements tires available at low prices)
5. I can stick hard on the twistys, where the G-years were sliders an afford to change them when needed instead of nursing them a few more thousand like the $300 tires.:burnout:

Sonic03svt

Established Member
Like I said earlier, I'm not a big fan of the F1's, but a tire shop here in town just quoted me $175 ea mounted and balanced.

How does that sound?

04TRCobra

KING
Established Member
if your not a fan of them...then dont get them...

if they are the OEM tire...they should be around 260-275 each....175 each sounds pretty cheap...you sure they are the same Eagle F1's...there are a few models

Sonic03svt

Established Member
He quoted them as Goodyear F1 GS 93W, which is exactly what tirerack has.

I was questionable too, but I called and verified.

BTW...it's a company that services and supplies tires to our work trucks and vans...about 250 of them, so I'm sure that he's cutting me a deal here.

Fleck 5

Established Member
I just put on Nitto 555's (not the drag radials). I am extremely happy with them. They ride a little stiffer than the stock tires and handle much better. They grip a lot better too. I got them for $168 each delivered off of www.discounttiredirect.com. I had to pay to get them mounted and balanced for around $18 per tire.

The $175 for the stock F1's sounds real cheap. They are probably selling them cheap because they suck. They don't grip that well, don't handle that well, and they have that annoying ribbed sidewall that makes it hard to clean and put tire shine on.

jedeyeben

Established Member
I bought the stock goodyears off of a shop on ebay for $160 each, shipped.

IMO I liked the Nitto 555's, not the DR, but the regular tire. I have them on my 99 and on my Camaro, and I am going to put them on my other set of rims for my 03 as well. Price is good on them, they stick, and they wear Very well for a performance tire.

Sonic03svt

Established Member
Originally posted by Fleck 5
They are probably selling them cheap because they suck. They don't grip that well, don't handle that well, and they have that annoying ribbed sidewall that makes it hard to clean and put tire shine on.

I totally agree with you!!

My only reasoning, is that I want matching tires. I'm sort of anal when it comes to my car, and I don't think that I could stand tires that didn't match front to rear.

So, I was only going to get two of the F1's as opposed to four of another tire type.

Fleck 5

Established Member
You need to decide whether you want to be anal about the look of the tires on your car or anal about the performance of your car.

How much of a mileage difference do you have on your tires. I got 15,000 out of the front and stretched the rears out to 16,000 miles. This allowed me to beat on the rear tires for a month.

Put the new tires on the front. Take your F1's and put them on the rear and beat them senseless. Then you will need tires for the rear in a month or two. A month of mismatching tires won't kill you.

Users who are viewing this thread