Tire Opinions

melectrok

Ford Driver for Life
Established Member
Can I get a few opinions from you guys here. Looking at a few diffrent sets of tires for agressive street performance. Anyone with any experence on any of these tires can you waver in with some pros and cons please.

Firestone Wide Oval

BFG G-Force Sport

Bridgstone RE760 Sport

BFG g-Force TA KDW2

Hoping to get these tires next week so I will have them for the holiday weekend.

Thanks, :thumbsup:

melectrok

Ford Driver for Life
Established Member
Does anyone know if the BFG g-Force TA KDW2 are the same ones that people talk about alot on here when they say the BFG KDW? There seems to be 3 diffrent KDW.

Matt@DTD

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
The BFG g-Force KDW has evolved into the KDW NT (New Tread) and has different compounding as well as a nice aggresive tread pattern. This tire model might be a good pick for you depending on what you need out of your tires.

What tire model are you currently driving on and what were your likes and dislikes with this model? I assume this next set will only be used during the warmer months? What do you want your next set of tires to do for you? What size/s are you running?

melectrok

Ford Driver for Life
Established Member
Last set was Toyo Prox's 245/45/17. With the purchase of new rims 17X9, I will plan to run 265 or 275 front and back. The car is only used in the summer, and usually sunny days. Only gets used 2,000 - 4,000 miles per year. I got 5-6 years out of the last tires at my rate. They usually are used mostly as aggressive street performance. More the twisties as apposed to strait line, though some streetlight mayheim has been known to happen. I am mostly concerned about summer weather handling and braking, as apposed to road noise and treadwear. The toyo's had a 280 AA,A rating. I guess the biggest thing i didnt like about these is they seem to let go under hard corning without notice as much as other cars I have been in. Usually you start get some squealing or chattering a little before that happens. Once these squeeled, they were already sliding.

Are the KDW 2 that i listed considered as the "New Tread"?

Matt@DTD

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Here's what the KDW (NT) looks like...This model is often called the KDW2 as well.

mtahzh.l.jpg

BF Goodrich g-Force T/A KDW NT tires listed by size

Based on what you are looking for out of your tires, I suggest going with the Nitto NT05. This model will provide all the dry grip an dstability you need and with it's reinforced internal construction, is very predictable. Here's the link with more details...

Nitto NT05 tires listed by size

kevin01cobra

Friendly MerShaq
Established Member
I personally did not like the Firehawks. Didn't seem to last very long and did not do a good enough job in the grip field. I have put about a month on NT05's and so far I am loving them.

melectrok

Ford Driver for Life
Established Member
Thanks for the help Kevin, that helps me cross one off my list. Looking at the Nitto N05, i am thinking I would like a little more tread then that. I was all decided on getting the KDW2's. They dont seem to come in a 265 so i tried a 275. It seems everyone has these backordered up the ying yang. They all have 255, but i think those are to small for a 9" rim are they not? Whats the deal with the 275, are they that good of a seller, or do they not make them no more. I see Discount Tire Direct doesnt even liist that as a option for a size.

Beyond that, any input on the Nitto NT 555? They seem more along the lines of what Matt suggested but with more tread like I was liking. Otherwise I think I am going to half to go with the BFG G force Sport, else the Toyo Proxs 4 along the lines what I had before.

Matt@DTD

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
The 275/40-17 and 255/40-17 KDW NT are both on a deep back order currently with no projected ETA.

You mentioned "more tread" what do you mean by this?

melectrok

Ford Driver for Life
Established Member
Something that will at least keep me straight if I am caught in the rain. The Nittos you suggested looked more like a barly street drag radial.

melectrok

Ford Driver for Life
Established Member
Do the discount stores have these in stock? I would like to take a look at one even if its not the right size.

Matt@DTD

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
^
I operate on a separate system which limits me from viewing store inventory. You'll need to contact your closest store to see if they have any sizes in stock.

Users who are viewing this thread