Tire Advice

blackbolt2003

Established Member
I'm looking to buy a new set of all-season tires for the L. I found the Hancooks on discounttire.com for $172 each. Is this a good price? Any recommendations?

Dr. Matt

Dr. Matt
Established Member
If you are looking at the 295/45 Hankook Ventus they are not as good as F-1's in the winter. They are a really hard compound, ride good, are very good on wet surfaces, and lsat forever, but are not great on ice or snow. I run them year round but park my L when roads are bad for the first couple days after a snow.

Zak Attack

Huge Member
Established Member
He meant they are THE shit. I get nothing else other than them. Those tires last forever and are cheap, thats a deal maker in itself. I am hard on tires, and my Ventus lasted forever.

01whiteL

Established Member
Hankooks are a good priced and good performing tire, there no DR but they last forever and are great in all conditions(in texas atleast, we dont have snow lol)

The negative remarks mainly come from people who expected a street tire to fix there traction issues.....

Last edited:

Dr. Matt

Dr. Matt
Established Member
My best 60' with them is a 1.91 but I think with practice and a good track they could pull a 1.89. They don't hook on the street for s**t but like others have said they last forever. You can do miles of burnouts on them and still run them for 30,000 miles. If your a street racer they aren't the tire for you. If you want an inexpensive tire that rides good, handles rain excellent, and wears like a pair of Roman iron sandals, buy a set of Hankooks.

Kryo-Genik

My meat is hand rubbed
Established Member
if you are gonna use discount tire do yourself a favor and go here first get the price then call discount and see if they will match the price and be done with it.
Online tires had a better price WITH shipping on my nittos and discount beat their price by $8 bucks to my door....enjoy

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
If you must drive in bad weather I'd get another set of wheels and put some real tires on them. Adding weight to the bed will help too. For really bad situations it can help to remove the blower belt or rig the bypass valve to stay open in order to reduce power. That will help with traction issues. Bet you could take the money you were going to spend and put that money into a cheap winter beater (probably the best choice).

chip moore

Established Member
buy a beater so if you crash it who cares????? I have Nittos and the SUCK in the snow,, but the truck itself sucks in the snow...... find a friend and steal his spare, then rock the two spares in the winter!!!!

Last edited:

blackbolt2003

Established Member
I only have a 15 minute drive to work and I work at a school district. If the weather is too bad they will cancel school. My wife also has an 08 expy, so we can share the drive to work if need be.

I traded my beater (03 Jetta) in on the L.

andy mack

Established Member
Also run the Hanhooks deffo last longer than the F1s but have you ever felt the difference in weight, i kept a few bald tyres for racing of both types, till i got some MTdrs the hanhooks must weigh twice what the F1s do.
andy

Users who are viewing this thread