Tips on cooling down my Cobra at the track? Time between runs etc?

WannaWhine

Alaskan Steed
Established Member
Just curious as to what my procedure should be in between runs at the track? I live in Alaska and it is rarely above 80 degrees at the track but on a long sunny day, it can be higher than that. So far I have been typically allowing 20 to 30 minutes between runs, but I haven't been doing anything to help cool her down. I usually just pop the hood up and shut her off.

I'm looking at participating in a King of Street series at our local track that requires pretty short turn arounds in between the runs.

I know heat soak can be a big problem with these cars so I figured it would be worth asking for any tips of advice and maybe some things I had not thought of.

Thanks!

IronTerp

Mid-Atlantic Cobra Assoc.
Wrote this up awhile back. Sorry the pictures don't come through.

Optimizing Ice Box Strategies at the Drag Strip
1) It is possible to get a IAT2 cooling benefit from the PFab, LFP, True Forge style intercooler reservoir if used correctly. Certainly having a larger capacity tank in the trunk can have big advantages, but for the majority of us, the expense and hassle of this setup does not merit the limited track opportunities where it will come in handy. Plus, it weighs more!!! (even though the weight is at least over the rear wheels.....).
2) Obviously cooler days in the 50's and 60's will help here, but this is where you're going to have the best opportunity to set PR's with Terminators anyway. We race for fun in the summer and for records in March, April, October, and November! It will certainly help in the heat, but not to the same degree.
3) Track rentals or uncrowded/short wait track days, where you do not have to wait long in the staging lanes, is a big benefit.
4) You need to cool down the intercooler/supercharger as much as possible after you arrive at the track or make a run, by draining and adding ice in the pit area and letting the IC pump circulate for 20-30 minutes. Make sure your battery is good to go here! Do this immediately after you return to the pits. Sometimes I'll go thru 2 iceing cycles here, but one good one will usually cool it down pretty well.
5) Recommend a 45 to 60 minute wait between runs.
6) To maximize your iceing strategy, the last thing you do before leaving for the staging lanes is drain the reservoir tank again and then add 4-5 "blocks" of ice, (see pic below), into your reservoir tank, topping it off with typical bag ice chips. Your IC pump will be off at this time. You can just use regular chip ice, but it will probably be gone during your run in 2nd gear or so, while the blocks can possibly last through 4th gear.
7) Advance to the staging lanes and keep your car off as much as possible while you're waiting in line. This will conserve your ice and keep your supercharger cooler.
8) Make your run and watch your ET/MPH potentially improve to new records!

I fill 25 or so of these with water, (about 2/3rds full), the night before going to the track, and right before I leave for the staging lanes, pull 4-5 of them out of the cooler, tear the cup away from the ice block and drop the block into the tank.

Use this setup to "jumper" your IC pump in the pits:

ICjump.jpg

sleepermobile2

Established Member
I use a generator and two big carpet fans . I can drive 80 miles to the track and race all day. After a pass I put one fan pointing at the motor , the other under the car . After 15-20 minutes it's not even warm........just 5-10 minutes does wonders .

Users who are viewing this thread