~Tips For Rolling Your Fenders~

04sleeper

Runs On "Liquid Gold"
Super Moderator
Since this is a "Hot Topic" and I get this PM a lot, I figured I would post this up for people wanting to roll there fenders themselves. (I will do my own "Step-By-Step" in the "How To" section soon)

1) Do small sections at a time. (About 6-8 inches of fender lip at a time).

2) Take your time and keep the paint "Hot to the touch" with a heat gun. (I touch the lip with the back of my fingers to test)

3) Go over the fender at least 2 or 3 times to achieve the bend. (Don't try to roll the whole fender in 1 pass)

4) Go all the way down on the "Rear" portion of the fender towards the back of the car. (It is a place known to rub) See Picture Below.
277780.jpg

5) Do not roll the fender "Too Much". (A little goes a long way!) Don't try to fold the lip all the way under. You don't need it. You are "Stretching" the paint, so it will crack if you go too much! Leave some curve on the lip. See Below.
digram.jpg

6) Keep a microfiber towel and quick detailer handy for keeping the lip and wheel clean. When you start to roll the fender, you are actually rolling (2) layers of metal "Pinch Welded" together! When you start to roll, some dirt and sand will come out from between the metal so keep it clean with the towel and quick detailer.

7) Make sure you have jack stands under the frame on both sides and the rear suspension is "Unloaded" and the parking brake is off and transmission is out of gear.

8) Also, be sure and take both wheels off "Before" you start. It makes it easier to go back and forth with the tool while rolling without having the swinging weight of the opposite wheel.

Here is also a great write up with some tips as well.
RollYourFender.Com - Instructions - Fast, Easy, & Affordable Professional Fender Lip Roller Rental

Here is where you can rent the tool.
RollYourFender.Com - Rental Info - Fast, Easy, & Affordable Professional Fender Roller Rental

Hope this helps, Kevin

TermySnake

Established Member
Great Advice/Write-up Kevin.:thumbsup: maybe one day, when i decided to roll my fender i will be looking for this thread.;-)

Juruense

Banned
I find it very weird that a badass tech savvy Cobra owner is always putting ~ in his thread titles... Just sayin... :)

Anyways, good info as always :rockon:

rotor_powerd

Established Member
Premium Member
Just did mine last week.... definitely go slow with the bend! I found the best way to not crack anything was to keep as much of the wheel touching the lip as possible. You don't want to be pushing up on just the outside of it, that will bend it in the middle, and not on the crease where you want it. If you take your time, and adjust the thing every 3 seconds like it needs, then it's a pretty straight forward job.

04sleeper

Runs On "Liquid Gold"
Super Moderator
Just did mine last week.... definitely go slow with the bend! I found the best way to not crack anything was to keep as much of the wheel touching the lip as possible. You don't want to be pushing up on just the outside of it, that will bend it in the middle, and not on the crease where you want it. If you take your time, and adjust the thing every 3 seconds like it needs, then it's a pretty straight forward job.
I agree. :thumbsup:

Sure wish the guy that tried to do mine when he owned the car would have figured this out.
I hear you Max. Just let me know and I will get yours fixed up correctly before you get it painted. :thumbsup:

Hows the car riding with the springs?

Thanks Kevin.I`m curious as to how much the Eastwood tool costs?
It's about $250 Brad.

massmustang02

I hate Wrist Pins
Established Member
Just did mine this past weekend and everything he said is exactly what your need to do. I even went smaller in my sections at about 3-4" a pass. One other piece of advice I have is to have a buddy on hand. Doesn't hurt to have the extra set of hands to help you out with the heat gun and applying some pressure to the roller.

T-Pain808

I Love Asian Girls!!!
Established Member
Good tips, but to be honest, if your rolling your fenders you should be taking your time. If your rushing you deserve what you get.

Users who are viewing this thread