Tips for better runs sn95 cobra 4v

1bdsnk96

Established Member
Guys I am going to run my car this weekend, I have some Nitto 555R DR's that I will be running my car with this weekend. I just wanted to get some input from you guys on any tips you can give me for a better run. I think ive heard to try and shift between 6k and 6.3K to get the most power from these cars. Anything suggestions would be appreciated. Also what should I expect out of a stock 96 4v with full exhaust, gears and cold air?? :rockon:

DVJ38

One mod at a time
Established Member
Slip the clutch hard from ~4,000. Redline it. Low 13s.

na svt

say no to power adders
Established Member
How can u say that without knowing where his car stops making power? I thought the idea was to shift once you stop making power.......

I can say that because I know where B head cobras make power. Also, you don't shift when the engine stops making power (whatever that means), you shift at a point that maximizes the average power. If you shift at a low RPM the power at the bottom of the 1-2 shift will be very low, too low for a B head engine; the power at 7000 is far greater than the power at 4000.

MASSHOLE_SN95

Established Member
You have no idea what I meant by stops making power? No idea at all? Every dyno sheet you look at on this site shows the cars fall off (stop making power) before 6,800 rpm. So why wouldn't you shift at a point where you car has put out all the power it will in that gear?

MASSHOLE_SN95

Established Member
I can say that because I know where B head cobras make power. Also, you don't shift when the engine stops making power (whatever that means), you shift at a point that maximizes the average power. If you shift at a low RPM the power at the bottom of the 1-2 shift will be very low, too low for a B head engine; the power at 7000 is far greater than the power at 4000.
Oh, ya don't say. More power at 7,000 then 4,000. You are a book of wisdom sir.

97cobra...

Established Member
I have almost the same setup as the op minus the gears and if you shift below 6800 it drops you off to low in the power band my buddy's 03 get ate me one day when I was shifting at 6000-6300 and all the gt has is x pipe catback so I would agree with na svt

DVJ38

One mod at a time
Established Member

You were the dumbass who asked the question. He gave you an answer you couldn't come up with on your own. :loser:

I'm not sure I've ever seen you make a constructive post on here.

My apologies. I will step away from this. I just know he tends to be helpful, regardless of his brash style at times.

haha don't apologize to that clown. She gets her panties in a wad in every thread. Smart man stepping away though.

Last edited:

Blakonblak94

Wishin it was SVT
Established Member
haha don't apologize to that clown. She gets her panties in a wad in every thread. Smart man stepping away though.

I tend to mostly lurk, but I enjoy this site and would hate to get in trouble for something stupid. But I do stand by the members who are helpful, and intellegent(na svt).

na svt

say no to power adders
Established Member
My apologies. I will step away from this. I just know he tends to be helpful, regardless of his brash style at times.

Damn, I'm brash? :shrug: Some of my answers are short because I just state the facts but I'm definitely don't want to come off as brash. Really, I'm a nice guy who is here to help.;-)

Last edited:

na svt

say no to power adders
Established Member

Take a look at the graph below. The green lines identify the RPMs/power seen in second gear when shifting at 7000 and the red lines show the RPMs/power seen when shifting at 6100. If you shift into second gear at 6100 the power drops well below the power needed for a high acceleration rate. The bottom of 3rd and 4th aren't nearly as bad because the RPM is a lot less but it still pays to shift at a point where the average power is maximized.

Shifting at peak or soon after isn't desired nor recommended by any of the racers that use my intakes and cams. Furthermore, when I spec cams they are not spec'd to make peak power at the redline or where the shift occurs. I've used an xcal to datalog the acceleration rate on a few cars and in doing so I've learned that it (accel rate) suffers when you shift where peak occurs or soon thereafter.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread