Tipping restaurant servers

q6543

Established Member
The "entry level job" is BS.

U.S.A. is a consumer based economy.
In most of the the U.S. those entry level jobs are the ONLY jobs.

Uncle Meat

Zircon Encrusted Tweezers
Established Member
The "entry level job" is BS.

U.S.A. is a consumer based economy.
In most of the the U.S. those entry level jobs are the ONLY jobs.
Well then people should learn a skill or trade the consumer needs and subsequently earns better money providing it. Plumber, welder, truck driver, electrician, general contractor, etc. There's more than entry level jobs out there if you look.

I have to admit the USA has pushed so many "skilled" blue collared work to other countries there's nothing left but low/no-skill employment opportunities in many places.

I've had a job since I was 13. Started as a simple paperboy. I moved up to running the local paper station at 15. Then a job as a stock boy/clerk at the local Quality Dairy when I turned 16. At 18 I got a job working for AC/DC. No... not them, Art Craft Display Company. I was setting up display booths and creating signage for exhibitions and conferences. Growing up in Lansing Michigan I did my best to try to get in at Fisher Body, GM, Ford, etc. That ended up being fruitless because in the early 80's the car market sucked and the only way to get into one of those jobs was to have someone on the inside help you out. So what was I to do? I was a high school grad working full time and making barely enough money to pay rent and put gas in the car. I needed a skill. I couldn't afford college so I I joined the military and learned some skills. After 21 years active duty I did contractor work for 6 months and then got hired as a Civil Servant.

There's always work out there if you look hard enough.

U.M.

Zemedici

Established Member
Well then people should learn a skill or trade the consumer needs and subsequently earns better money providing it. Plumber, welder, truck driver, electrician, general contractor, etc. There's more than entry level jobs out there if you look.

I have to admit the USA has pushed so many "skilled" blue collared work to other countries there's nothing left but low/no-skill employment opportunities in many places.

I've had a job since I was 13. Started as a simple paperboy. I moved up to running the local paper station at 15. Then a job as a stock boy/clerk at the local Quality Dairy when I turned 16. At 18 I got a job working for AC/DC. No... not them, Art Craft Display Company. I was setting up display booths and creating signage for exhibitions and conferences. Growing up in Lansing Michigan I did my best to try to get in at Fisher Body, GM, Ford, etc. That ended up being fruitless because in the early 80's the car market sucked and the only way to get into one of those jobs was to have someone on the inside help you out. So what was I to do? I was a high school grad working full time and making barely enough money to pay rent and put gas in the car. I needed a skill. I couldn't afford college so I I joined the military and learned some skills. After 21 years active duty I did contractor work for 6 months and then got hired as a Civil Servant.

There's always work out there if you look hard enough.

U.M.

thank you U.M.

I was going to post something similar, typed about half of it out, and then went 'nah....' and responded with my bullshit above. lolol

Similar story, started lifeguarding @ 13 years old. Parents would take me to shifts as I couldnt drive, but I still made it a point to get there early, and almost always left late, by 16 I was managing a team of 10-15 other lifeguards. By 18 I was over 20+.

Left that job, went to work in service industry : Pizza Hut and BBQ spot, within 3 years I was managing BBQ spot.

Left there, went to dealerships. Started at Parts counter, was FNG so always worked Saturdays. Would burn time by posting here, but also calling on local spots to see who was open Saturday. Half the local shops didnt even realize parts counter was open Saturday! Bam my sales go up by close to 40%? Promoted there within a couple years.

Its all about what YOU PUT IN. Seeing as nowadays you're lucky to get 20% of your effort returned, you HAVE TO HUSTLE. Period.

Last edited:

Zemedici

Established Member
addendum : I see signs everywhere 'help wanted help wanted' - same with my customers

One of my buddies cant find someone to apprentice @ his machine shop.

PAID APPRENTICESHIP.

cant find anyone.

So is it really 'there's no jobs' or is it 'no one wants to work?'

With the government paying people to stay home, it is WITHOUT A DOUBT the latter.

I could get 10 jobs TODAY if I wanted. Of course they wont be comparable to what I do / make now, but no one started at the ****ing top....

mysticsvt

southernmustangandford
Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
Probably needs its own thread but what about tipping all the food delivery people now. Just bringing it up because currently my daughter is doing a lot of Savor and Uber type food and grocery deliveries and people suck at tipping them.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com
It doesn't help when you order to your house and there is already a $5.00 delivery fee on a $20.00 pizza and it's NOT a tip. So now a $20.00 pizza is a $30-$50 pizza.

q6543

Established Member
I see help wanted signs everywhere also.
For McDonald's, burger King, Wendy's, taco bell.

My point was about these being considered "entry level" jobs.
They are not... they are critical to the U.S. infrastructure.

Are they on the same level as a defense contractor... no.. of course not.
But they are more valuable than people give them credit for.

Even I'm starting to wonder why I bust my ass for 60k/yr when I can make coffee at Starbucks for $17/hr and have no stress.

Uncle Meat

Established Member

PAID APPRENTICESHIP.

cant find anyone.
One of my childhood buddies got a job as an apprentice at a machine shop when he was about 23. He's now the floor supervisor in charge of all the machinists and can't find any machinists to fill the company's empty positions. The applicants that can pass a drug test just don't have the will or desire to learn the job and be willing to work crappy hours as an FNG. Plus the starting pay is low as an apprentice. They all want to start at $50 and hour with little to no experience.

U.M.

Uncle Meat

Established Member
The reason they are considered "Entry Level" has nothing to do with with their criticality. They are entry level because you don't need any training or specific skills to begin work. Can you mop? Yeah. You're hired.

U.M.

ssj4sadie

Established Member
Premium Member
One of my childhood buddies got a job as an apprentice at a machine shop when he was about 23. He's now the floor supervisor in charge of all the machinists and can't find any machinists to fill the company's empty positions. The applicants that can pass a drug test just don't have the will or desire to learn the job and be willing to work crappy hours as an FNG. Plus the starting pay is low as an apprentice. They all want to start at $50 and hour with little to no experience.

U.M.
Reflect drug testing to what is more or less nationally legal and I bet there would be more people applying.

Fat Boss

Established Member
addendum : I see signs everywhere 'help wanted help wanted' - same with my customers

PAID APPRENTICESHIP.

cant find anyone.

So is it really 'there's no jobs' or is it 'no one wants to work?'

With the government paying people to stay home, it is WITHOUT A DOUBT the latter.

I could get 10 jobs TODAY if I wanted. Of course they wont be comparable to what I do / make now, but no one started at the ****ing top....

I know of a guy who's about 40 and is content to get what the gov is handing out so he can sit on his ass in a bar all day and live with his folks. People like that can't really be saved. If someone doesn't want the lifestyle improvements that a better job can provide, I'm not sure what can be done for them. It's shocking to me how much of this country lives on peanuts.

Until now I've ALWAYS strived to get a better job making more money. I'm one of only a SMALL handfull of folks I know who will leave a perfectly good, high paying job for a better one. I've recently turned 50 and last year my taxable income finally hit the 99th percentile for US workers. I'm still considering looking for a better job lol.

Adamn

Established Member
How dirty does your plate need to be to ruin an excellently prepared meal? What kind of tip are you going to leave if you get half way through your steak and find a hair on the plate? Even if the service was great?
The cooks/chef shouldn’t be putting food on dirty plates and if the dishwashers can’t wash dishes they should be fired.
Honestly, unless it’s a pube it wouldn’t bother me. How would I know who’s hair was on there? Is it the servers fault that the hair was there?

Zemedici

Established Member
I know of a guy who's about 40 and is content to get what the gov is handing out so he can sit on his ass in a bar all day and live with his folks. People like that can't really be saved. If someone doesn't want the lifestyle improvements that a better job can provide, I'm not sure what can be done for them. It's shocking to me how much of this country lives on peanuts.

Until now I've ALWAYS strived to get a better job making more money. I'm one of only a SMALL handfull of folks I know who will leave a perfectly good, high paying job for a better one. I've recently turned 50 and last year my taxable income finally hit the 99th percentile for US workers. I'm still considering looking for a better job lol.

love it man, stay hungry. The day I stop striving for better, is the day I need to hang it up, imo.

I've been with my wife for 7 years, I wanted to 'Make BLANK/Yr' before I was 30. I did that.

She's like 'what's next?'

****ing double it? Triple it? Quintuple it? But only by doing something I enjoy doing.

Zemedici

Established Member
I see help wanted signs everywhere also.
For McDonald's, burger King, Wendy's, taco bell.

Are they on the same level as a defense contractor... no.. of course not.
But they are more valuable than people give them credit for.

Even I'm starting to wonder why I bust my ass for 60k/yr when I can make coffee at Starbucks for $17/hr and have no stress.

Entry level means just that. Entry level. Zero skills required. As UM said, long as you show up on time, you're hired.

That being said, a McDonald's cashier is SUPPOSED to be a 'stepping stone' imo. Its 'do I want to work up the Ladder?' (shift lead, Assistant Manager, General Manager, Regional Manager, etc) or is it 'Hey this shit sucks, let me develop a skill or skillset that will take me elsewhere (a la college, learning a trade, apprenticeship, etc).

A cashier or waitress was never meant to be a career. People have turned it into one.

lOOKnGO

Keep'um smiling
Established Member
We regularly tip over 20%. Hell, I'll tip at the drive through if they're good. I'll tip delivery men, concrete drivers you name it. They will remember too. But if you suck at your job, you wont get any extra from me. I have a 5 minute rule. If you can't greet me and ask what I want to drink within 5 minutes being seated, I'll proudly walk out of your establishment.

James Snover

The Ill-Advised Physics Amplification Co
Established Member
Premium Member
The cooks/chef shouldn’t be putting food on dirty plates and if the dishwashers can’t wash dishes they should be fired.
Honestly, unless it’s a pube it wouldn’t bother me. How would I know who’s hair was on there? Is it the servers fault that the hair was there?
My point is that what you get put in front of you is a result of a team effort. And the whole team ought to be rewarded or penalized, as the case may be.

Adamn

Established Member
thank you U.M.

I was going to post something similar, typed about half of it out, and then went 'nah....' and responded with my bullshit above. lolol

Similar story, started lifeguarding @ 13 years old. Parents would take me to shifts as I couldnt drive, but I still made it a point to get there early, and almost always left late, by 16 I was managing a team of 10-15 other lifeguards. By 18 I was over 20+.

Left that job, went to work in service industry : Pizza Hut and BBQ spot, within 3 years I was managing BBQ spot.

Left there, went to dealerships. Started at Parts counter, was FNG so always worked Saturdays. Would burn time by posting here, but also calling on local spots to see who was open Saturday. Half the local shops didnt even realize parts counter was open Saturday! Bam my sales go up by close to 40%? Promoted there within a couple years.

Its all about what YOU PUT IN. Seeing as nowadays you're lucky to get 20% of your effort returned, you HAVE TO HUSTLE. Period.
I started working when I was 14 sweeping floors and mowing grass at a John Deere dealership. After I graduated high school I hung drywall for 6 years before becoming a commercial carpenter which I did for 12 years. 4 years ago I got a job working for a small, but higher class city.

I have always worked hard and when I was a carpenter I busted my ass and became a foreman. I didn’t mind the position but it was a high stress job and their safety director had to justify his position and come up with new safety standards all the time because “Every injury is preventable”. That, plus having do deal with lots of incompetent workers when we were really busy started te wear on me.

My thought when I applied to the city was it would be a no stress job with lots of paid time off, good benefits, close to home, job security, and the pay is basically the same as I typically made as a carpenter.

My issue that I’ve realized over the last 4 years is hard work and taking pride in your work, which I’ve always done means nothing there. You have to be a kiss ass, which I’ll never do to get a promotion and they will never pay you more than they are contractually obligated to. Half of the people I work with are lazy and talk shit about everyone, it’s like working with a bunch of high school girls at times.

In my current situation it isn’t about what I put in unless what I put in is some serious ass kissing. I keep an eye out for better options where I can actually earn more based on work ethic and skill.

Last edited:

supercharged91m

Local 46
Established Member
Premium Member
Probably needs its own thread but what about tipping all the food delivery people now. Just bringing it up because currently my daughter is doing a lot of Savor and Uber type food and grocery deliveries and people suck at tipping them.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com
I just did this for about 4 months at a local pizzeria not 2 far from me. I swear I noticed the biggest house's give the worst tips. The average house's I would do much better on. They don't have a clue on shit. They think a 4$ tip on a 70$ order is good.. ehh not really when it's a 7 mile round trip and I'm doing it in a mercury grand marquis

supercharged91m

Local 46
Established Member
Premium Member
It doesn't help when you order to your house and there is already a $5.00 delivery fee on a $20.00 pizza and it's NOT a tip. So now a $20.00 pizza is a $30-$50 pizza.
The worst part bout that is 9 out of 10 times that $$ goes to the house.. so basically they are winning twice while the driver gents bent over...

Users who are viewing this thread