Tipping restaurant servers

Adamn

Established Member
My Daughter worked at an Olive Garden. She had a table of 10 people who ran her into the ground, changing orders, asking for extras and on and on. When it was time to pay the bill they only tipped her $5.
She was so pissed she followed them out to the parking lot and gave them hell. Lol

I went to a nice steak house and ordered a 24oz Prime Rib. The steak came and I looked at the waiter and asked it that looked like a 24oz steak. It was a 12 oz, he said sorry, let me go make it right. He brought out a 24oz and let me keep the 12oz.
That guy got a big tip. Lol
I was at a sports bar quite a few years ago with my brother and a couple friends. Our waitress was terrible, probably the worst service I’ve ever had so we left her a small tip. She was pissed so she came out to the parking lot and was bitching about our tip. We told her her tip reflected the service we had and left. She got my brothers name from his card he paid with and looked him up on Facebook and continued to give him crap

Pribilof

Life's Better @ Elevation
Established Member
Not to be a buzzkill, but that's not true.

"If an employee's tips combined with the employer's direct wages of at least $2.13 an hour do not equal the Federal minimum hourly wage, the employer must make up the difference."

Minimum wage for tipped employees is STILL $2.13 an hour.

U.M.

Colorado is now 9.54/hr for tipped employees.

If a biz has to share tips with dishwashing staff does that mean they get paid $9.54 vs the regular minimum of $12.56?

Also, McDonalds here is now advertising starting wages of $17.50/hr.

Many restaurants here also have bill surcharges to pay staff.

And there are at least 2 restaurants in Denver that have ended tipping.

I'm a 15% tipper now (was always at least 20% or more) and I tip 10% at a surcharge restaurant. If the restaurant is making it up in cost of food and bill surcharges I'm not feeling obligated to make.up a "living wage" for a server through astronomical tips.

ETA: just browsed job boards. Restaurants in Denver offering $12-16/hr plus tips for servers at regular (not fancy restaurants)

Last edited:

Blown 89

Established Member
Not to be a buzzkill, but that's not true.

"If an employee's tips combined with the employer's direct wages of at least $2.13 an hour do not equal the Federal minimum hourly wage, the employer must make up the difference."

Minimum wage for tipped employees is STILL $2.13 an hour.

U.M.
That's nationally. Arizona pays tipped employees $12.80 per hour....$9.80if the employer can prove they made more than $12.80 with tips. Most restaurants are defaulting to minimum wage to avoid the added expense in paperwork. The restaurant association released a statement explaining the menu price increases after the massive public outcry after the public voted it in on the general ballot. Voters are stupid, we all know that.

In-and-out pays $19.50 plus full benefits.

JimCSHO

Established Member
My father-in-law was in New York City and ordered a scotch and soda. The waiter brought a scotch and 7-up so he sent it back saying that was wrong. The waiter came back with a scotch and ginger ale, and he sent back saying still wrong. The waiter argued with him that he brought the right drink the first time and was trying to humor him with the second one because he didn't know that the first one was correct.

He advised the waiter what a scotch and soda is and asked him to bring the correct drink.

When he was finished he didn't leave a tip. The waiter followed him out and said, "sir, you forgot to tip". He responded, "I didn't forget, I intentionally didn't leave one. But here's a tip, don't argue with your customer"

1Kona_Venom

US Army (Ret)
Established Member
Premium Member
If I cant afford to tip, I don't go out to eat; which is never.

Mustang Week 2021, Saturday night the restaurant was doing the best they could given the covid "stay at home and get paid" policies and all that shit. My waiter started off rough, but eventually went smooth. I dropped a tip probably 25% on a $180.00 bill.

On my way out the door 730 pm people piled up in the doorway waiting on a seat. Asked the receptionist to speak with the manager please.

(I draw attention with my demeanor and physical appearance regardless of the circumstances.)

Of course the wait line is "all eyes on me". 25 year old collage female, scared look on her face comes out from the back.
"I just wanted to let you know that appreciate your staff and all the hard work that they are putting forth tonight. It's pretty apparent your under staffed and some people choose to probably stay home and collect free money while others are out here busting their ass so that me and my friends can enjoy our vacation."

I busted out a $100.00 bill, "make sure the cooks and dishwashers in the back room get some of this and do with the rest of how you see fit. Include yourself"
She immediately teared up, smiled and thanked me profusely.

People waiting to get in were pretty quiet and I excused myself out the door.

My point: We live in different times and sometimes >20% may be warranted

Uncle Meat

Zircon Encrusted Tweezers
Established Member
The more they raise the hourly wage, the more your bill is going to go up.

In the 1960's a Big Mac was .45¢
In the 1970's a Big Mac was .65¢
In the 1980's a Big Mac was $1.60 or you could get the meal for $2.59
In the 1990's a Big Mac was $2.45 or you could get the meal for $4.59
In the 2000's a Big Mac was $2.39!? (Went down?)
In 2010 a Big Mac was $4.19
In 2020 a Big Mac was $4.95 or you could get the meal for $7.89

I actually got a Big Mac meal just the other day. First time in I can't remember how long. Cost at my local Micky D's after tax was just under $9! WTF!?

Fast food workers, waiters, or waitresses jobs were never designed to provide a "living wage" and I hope they never are. Those entry level jobs are just that, entry level.

U.M.

Adower

Established Member

I actually got a Big Mac meal just the other day. First time in I can't remember how long. Cost at my local Micky D's after tax was just under $9! WTF!?

Fast food workers, waiters, or waitresses jobs were never designed to provide a "living wage" and I hope they never are. Those entry level jobs are just that, entry level.

U.M.
Exactly. It’s an entry level job.

helloWorld

Established Member
When I was in Duluth, MN, all of the restaurants had a surcharge built in so that they pay their people. It didn't bother me at all.

Whenever I eat out, I make it very easy. I take the final total, move the decimal point one to the left, double that, and round up to the nearest whole number, and there's my tip. Since I never carry cash, the meal + tip goes on the Costco Citi credit card, because I get 3% cash back.

I don't use meal delivery services, so I can't speak about that.

Blown 89

Established Member

U.M.
Entry level will always be entry level. Adding value to a job that has little devalues everything that requires talent, skill, and experience.

I stopped at McDonald's two years ago because I needed a quick and cheap lunch. It would have been quicker and cheaper to get quality food doing takeout at a real restaurant.

James Snover

The Ill-Advised Physics Amplification Co
Established Member
Premium Member
I can see sharing with the bartender and bussers but dishwashers make no sense to me. They have no interaction with the customers so why should they be entitled to a portion of tips?
How dirty does your plate need to be to ruin an excellently prepared meal? What kind of tip are you going to leave if you get half way through your steak and find a hair on the plate? Even if the service was great?

ZYBORG

Let's roll..
Established Member
Premium Member
Most everyone has been bamboozled into thinking that paying the establishment’s employees is their obligation. It is NOT. But the industry sure has managed to make us all suckers.

i have been noticing more and more “tip” jars everywhere… lol.

Not only do you pay the price for the goods/service but now you are a “turd” if you dont tip them too!

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member

ya I don't like that at all - like the tip jar at jimmy johns, gtfo

servers at high end restaurants are probably fine with it and would be hurt by a higher wage with no tip.

they definitely try to guilt you into it - just like uber/lyft. Everyone has a 5 star rating because if you try to give less than that they make you fill out a ****ing novel.

72MachOne99GT

Established Member
Premium Member
I served all through college. It has its benefits.

I always had wads of cash handy.
Hours were pretty flexible.
Management was generally easy to deal with.
Most co-workers were decent, though there was the occasional ****ing idiot.

I generally tip well at a sit-down restaurant because I spent my time in their position.

I was always amazed though at the people I worked with that wished they were paid a flat wage by the restaurant instead of by tips.

It’s going to sound cocky, but **** it. I knew I was more than capable of outperforming most of the people I worked with, and I would be damned if making 11 dollars an hour was my ceiling. I usually averaged ~$15 an hour cash.

Edit: not that 15 an hour is a lot, but it was a Cracker Barrel. No booze

Fat Boss

Established Member
Most everyone has been bamboozled into thinking that paying the establishment’s employees is their obligation. It is NOT. But the industry sure has managed to make us all suckers.

Not only do you pay the price for the goods/service but now you are a “turd” if you dont tip them too!

I was getting a twelve pack at a liquor store a few years ago when I noticed a "tip jar" at the counter. Usually they are March of Dimes or some other charity and labled as such. This one had no label. I asked if it was for a charity or if he just pocketed the money. He grinned with a grill full of f'd up teeth.

A few years ago, a study showed the best tippers were middle aged white males. Must drive the liberals crazy to see stuff like that.

ZYBORG

Let's roll..
Established Member
Premium Member
I was getting a twelve pack at a liquor store a few years ago when I noticed a "tip jar" at the counter. Usually they are March of Dimes or some other charity and labled as such. This one had no label. I asked if it was for a charity or if he just pocketed the money. He grinned with a grill full of f'd up teeth.

A few years ago, a study showed the best tippers were middle aged white males. Must drive the liberals crazy to see stuff like that.

Too bad they dont acknowledge… white man is the devil!

ZYBORG

Let's roll..
Established Member
Premium Member
I served all through college. It has its benefits.

I always had wads of cash handy.
Hours were pretty flexible.
Management was generally easy to deal with.
Most co-workers were decent, though there was the occasional ****ing idiot.

I generally tip well at a sit-down restaurant because I spent my time in their position.

I was always amazed though at the people I worked with that wished they were paid a flat wage by the restaurant instead of by tips.

It’s going to sound cocky, but **** it. I knew I was more than capable of outperforming most of the people I worked with, and I would be damned if making 11 dollars an hour was my ceiling. I usually averaged ~$15 an hour cash.

Edit: not that 15 an hour is a lot, but it was a Cracker Barrel. No booze

right on… never understood why more in that situation dont have that same mentality… i seldom get a great server.

if I was a server, id be yessa massa, thank you massa, running around, beads on my forehead, rushing to their every command and request… I’d tell jokes, juggle etc. Anything for my patrons… Ensure the best tips possible. Its just common sense.

that is rarely the case… instead i get, poor eye contact, shitty attitude, no hustle, etc…. Yah dudes, your tip is gonna reflect that…

Zemedici

Established Member
I waited tables when I was younger, and busted my ****ing ass.

I would clear tables
I would seat people
I would help out other tables when it was busy (that werent even in my section)

My girl was a bartender at restaurants / bars when we got together, weird because she was rolling in the dough too.

Weird, i never 'was without' cashola in my pocket. My service wasnt ever terrible, because theres this thing called 'you get out what you put in' - smile, LISTEN to customers, etc. Its really not ****ing hard.

I'm with @ZYBORG and @Uncle Meat, its an entry level job that people are trying to make into careers. That's not my ****ing problem. Because Trashy Tammy wants to be a career Chili's waittress, is 0% my problem or my concern. Its wild that tips have become almost required, even if service is bad. Nope.

Since my wife and I were both in the service industry, she's 'assessing' a waiter or waittress's ability within 10 seconds of us sitting down lol

FJohnny

Established Member
My daughter worked part time as a server while going to university. On a bad 4 hour shift she came home moping with a hundred bucks but good shifts were $400+.

I was dumbfounded. Are you kidding? Then she tells me that doesn't include the $15/hr wage.

Lol. Great scam.

Now when we eat out I put in the expected 20% on the $150 meal because who wants to look cheap? I see the server working 3 or 4 other tables and do the math....

Yup, over a hundred per hour not including hourly wage.

Why does anyone ever go through apprenticeship for a trade or university for 4 plus years?

Is a server really worth more than a cop, teacher, nurse, fire fighter or engineer? They must be, I guess.

Uncle Meat

Zircon Encrusted Tweezers
Established Member
Since my wife and I were both in the service industry, she's 'assessing' a waiter or waittress's ability within 10 seconds of us sitting down lol
I know how you feel! My wife recently retired from the USAF NAF after slinging drinks in the military club system for 35 years. We can't go to a bar anywhere without her critiquing the drinks. She actually went to school for bartending so she knows her shit.
I've seen her walk up to the bar and then teach the bartender how the drink is supposed to be made. Never ceases to amaze me how someone is hired as a bartender who has zero clue on anything more complex than a screwdriver.

That's why I gave up and went with straight Whisky, Bourbon, or Scotch. Kind of hard to **** those up. :ROFLMAO:

U.M.

Users who are viewing this thread