Tipping restaurant servers

cobracide

Established Member
But that’s not the servers, bartenders, and bussers problem. Their tips are based on their level of service for the customer. Their job is to wash dishes which, unless there’s something I don’t know that goes on, has little to nothing to do with the customers experience. Do the servers share with dishwashers out of pity or is it something that is expected or required?
I think is more of a restaurant sharing "team play" morale deal. It helps the business keep average labor costs down. You can't have the waiters/waitresses making all the money, now can you? There won't be many tips going around with food served on dirty dishes.

Last edited:

98 svt

Established Member
Premium Member
But that’s not the servers, bartenders, and bussers problem. Their tips are based on their level of service for the customer. Their job is to wash dishes which, unless there’s something I don’t know that goes on, has little to nothing to do with the customers experience. Do the servers share with dishwashers out of pity or is it something that is expected or required?

Ever get a dirty plate, or fork? That definitely ruins my dining experience.

rotor_powerd

Established Member
Premium Member
I’m a bleeding heart tipper. I always leave at least 30%, it drives my wife nuts. Frequently tip higher at places we go often, and get treated better as a result. I left one of our favorite waitresses a $500 tip on a $75 bill right before Christmas to help out, she just had a baby and was off work for a little while.

BOOGIE MAN

Logic and Reason
Established Member
Worked in many restaurants, back of house, front of house, bar, etc... from highschool through undergrad. Every restaurant/chain has different protocol for tipping back of house employees

I start at 20%
- don't ask to see my ID (because my cc says so) unless I'm a regular and you know me, auto -10%
- good/bad service gets an appropriate +/- %
- heavier the bartender pours = + %
- proactive/reactive service (asking me if I want another vs me having to wait and ask you) = +/- %
- once I start becoming a regular and you know what I want when I want it, ++ %

Only tip cash because they have to claim cc tips, which gets taxed, and taxation is theft.

I've tipped on a range from 0% to 100%. Been in their shoes before so I know what it takes, what working with the public in that scenario is like, and know what a fat tip can do to brighten someone's day.

"Nothing makes me question ALL of my life decisions like SVTP."

Posts and likes are not mine.

Adamn

Established Member
I think is more of a restaurant sharing "team play" morale deal. It helps the business keep average labor costs down. You can't have the waiters/waitresses making all the money, now can you? There won't be many tips going around with food served on dirty dishes.
But they aren’t part of the service, they are just in the back doing their job. I would classify them in the same category as the cooks, they are unseen but do their part. If the cooks don’t get a cut of the tips why should the dishwashers? I’m not trying to argue over who should get tips and who shouldn’t, I just thought it was weird that dishwashers got a cut

Adamn

Established Member
Ever get a dirty plate, or fork? That definitely ruins my dining experience.
So would getting bad food from the kitchen. So is every employee supposed to piggyback off the servers?

Fastback

Baker
Established Member
Premium Member
But they aren’t part of the service, they are just in the back doing their job. I would classify them in the same category as the cooks, they are unseen but do their part. If the cooks don’t get a cut of the tips why should the dishwashers? I’m not trying to argue over who should get tips and who shouldn’t, I just thought it was weird that dishwashers got a cut
In our joint, the dish pit is a tipped position. No dishes, no food gets sent out. In a good running restaurant, everything needs to happen in order. The person bringing you the final piece, didn't put the puzzle together alone.

Double"O"

N2S come get some
Established Member
So would getting bad food from the kitchen. So is every employee supposed to piggyback off the servers?
There is the dilema...you get that one outstanding server and the kirchen jacks up your food

I had one experence in Tampa...the server was amazing, my wife and my steaks were cooked to death...i mean beyond well done and we are damn near raw steak eaters lol

The server tried to make it right but our second steaks were well done again

I still tipped him and tols him dont tell anyone in that kitchen i tipped you...not your fault the person on the grill sucks ass

Weather Man

Persistance Is A Bitch
Established Member
My usual breakfast cafe waitress came back from having covid bad, could hear her having short breath busing the tables, I tipped her very well for the next couple of weeks. I always tip well normally, unless the wait staff doesn't pay attention to us.

Blown 89

Established Member
I've been tipping waiters a lot less than normal lately. Their hourlies are a lot higher that they used to be and the service industry is getting horrifically bad lately. Imagine that, politicians jack their base pay and service starts to suck. Nobody saw that coming.

I've actually been avoiding restaurants because of it. Waiters need an adjustment attitude here locally so I'll keep my money at home instead.

Uncle Meat

Zircon Encrusted Tweezers
Established Member
I've been tipping waiters a lot less than normal lately. Their hourlies are a lot higher that they used to be and the service industry is getting horrifically bad lately. Imagine that, politicians jack their base pay and service starts to suck. Nobody saw that coming.
Not to be a buzzkill, but that's not true.

"If an employee's tips combined with the employer's direct wages of at least $2.13 an hour do not equal the Federal minimum hourly wage, the employer must make up the difference."

Minimum wage for tipped employees is STILL $2.13 an hour.

U.M.

mysticsvt

southernmustangandford
Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
Rather generous myself and often buy other's meals. With that being said I am torn on tipping in the first place. I have family that are waitresses and spew FB with how cheap people are. "If you can't afford to tip amazingly don't eat out BS". If I had to stay home or take my family out guess what..you're SOL. IMO it is their fault for choosing their career field that allows their income to be dictated by strangers. Also, it is NOT my responsibly to compensate their wages because they picked this path to take care of their family. Now I fully sympathize with them in that they are caught up in the middle of this between the employer and the customer which is why I still tip nicely. To answer your question...I may at times tip 50% if I'm eating at say Waffle House and 10%-25% if I spend $400 at a fancy place. How much I tip is dictated by service and MY income. Did the fancy server work harder bringing me my food and filling my beverage than the less fancy? Our mindset has been changed from tipping to compensating and it's disgusting.

365 Saleen

Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
My Daughter worked at an Olive Garden. She had a table of 10 people who ran her into the ground, changing orders, asking for extras and on and on. When it was time to pay the bill they only tipped her $5.
She was so pissed she followed them out to the parking lot and gave them hell. Lol

I went to a nice steak house and ordered a 24oz Prime Rib. The steak came and I looked at the waiter and asked it that looked like a 24oz steak. It was a 12 oz, he said sorry, let me go make it right. He brought out a 24oz and let me keep the 12oz.
That guy got a big tip. Lol

utlong31

Established Member
Probably needs its own thread but what about tipping all the food delivery people now. Just bringing it up because currently my daughter is doing a lot of Savor and Uber type food and grocery deliveries and people suck at tipping them.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

Users who are viewing this thread