Tinting and Window Indexing

zr1gerhardt

You can't outrun ugly!
Established Member
I am going to get my windows tinted in a couple of weeks. Any issues with the windows indexing (slightly dropping when open and then raising and resealing upon closing the door). Do I need to turn this feature off to have them tint and get all the window? It just crossed my mind while eating dinner.

What have others done?

Scott

!!!PainTrain!!!

Mattis for POTUS
Established Member
I was actually going to ask this question myself. I'd really like to know the answer as well.

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
No problems. My guy just said he wanted to keep it an extra hour to make sure it wasn't a problem. Prob just wanted it looking good outside for advertisement :)
No problems with the tint though.
-J

Fordfourlife

Established Member
They lose their seal if they do not go up in down every once in awhile or what?

jay38372

Established Member
Mine squeaked like crazy right after getting tinted but went away about a week later, I didn't even know you could disable the window down feature, but I think its to release the window from the seal when you open the door is my guess.

Ky GT500

Established Member
My tint guy opened the doors and tripped the latch so the car thought the doors were closed, windows rolled up, tint the whole window. He used a heat gun around the perimeter and cured the tint around the edges then shut the doors as normal.

Last edited:

Habbro

Noob
Established Member
My installer did same as above. Tripped latch while door open so window fully up. No problems here with tint.

BAS

Established Member
Just be careful to check the edges. They can feather if the installer goes close to the edge (which you want him to).

MovingZen

And I'm on my way!
Established Member
No problems on the edges of the window tints for me. I thought that the windows kinda locked in place because of the speeds the car is capable of? Never had a car were the windows roll up like that, but I can say that the amount of pressure in the car upwards of 140 mph with the windows down is pretty insane so I figured it's to help bolster the window against that pressure. If that's not correct don't tell me, I like that reason. :)

freakshow12

Established Member
They do that so you don't have to slam the door when you close it. The air in the cabin can get out and you are not forcing in through the seal

Gray_Ghost

Established Member
It's pretty much standard on high end performance cars now. '03-up Viper, '05-up Corvette, the new Shelby's etc... It provides for a better seal and easier door closure.

Users who are viewing this thread