Tinted Taillights on Black *PICTURES*

Tispho

Established Member
This was my weekend project for my 2011 Mustang.

Here is a before shot. These were too bright red for me, I didn't like the look at all and it was one of the main reasons why I originally hated the 2010 - 2011 rear.

IMG_8570.gif

During. I used a plastic bag and a hair dryer to help the paint dry. I cut holes in the bag to maintain 155 degrees Fº. These tail lights were tinted with VHT niteshade and cleared about 5 times.

IMG_0153.gif

Before Wet Sanding. They look cloudy, and theres a bunch of dust nibs and other imperfections in them.

IMG_0149.gif

IMG_0147.gif

After. Wet sanding and buffing brings out the shine, and makes them look more OEM.

IMG_0155.gif

IMG_0156.gif

IMG_0157.gif

And Finally. The pictures you were waiting for. On the car.

Trunk open. Lights off.

IMG_0158.gif

Trunk closed. Lights off.

IMG_0159.gif

Driving lights on.

IMG_0160.gif

IMG_0161.gif

BRAKES ON. As you can see, they are quite even.

IMG_0162.gif

IMG_0163.gif

Some videos.

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rGvhKN-x7Cc"]YouTube - MVI_0165.mp4[/nomedia]
[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ul7uO0ZLSx8"]YouTube - MVI_0164.mp4[/nomedia]

Last edited:

z28th1s

The 5.0 is Back!!!
Established Member
You can hardly see the lights when the brakes aren't being applied, maybe they show up better when it isn't so bright outside.

I also live in VA, are you concerned with getting a ticket for the tint?

License plate is good!!

TAF

Trilogy Twin Screwed #004
Established Member
I think they look fantastic...great job!

LOL @ PBJ TIME

[youtube_browser]s8MDNFaGfT4[/youtube_browser]

Last edited:

Tispho

Established Member
You can hardly see the lights when the brakes aren't being applied, maybe they show up better when it isn't so bright outside.

I also live in VA, are you concerned with getting a ticket for the tint?

License plate is good!!

We'll have to see, but so long as my taillights are visible from 500 ft away at night, they should be legal.

Tispho

Established Member
Got some night shots, they are about as bright as non-tinted tail lights. I did not take any photos with the brakes engaged.

Watch the videos because they are the most accurate in terms of seeing how bright they really are.

IMG_8667.gif

IMG_8666.gif

IMG_8665.gif

IMG_8663.gif

IMG_8662_3_4.gif

IMG_8662.gif

IMG_8659.gif

IMG_8658.gif

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=urozcXVbjsY"]YouTube - MVI 0166[/nomedia]

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OmUJ30BMcxI"]YouTube - MVI 0167[/nomedia]

03Cobra1979

Established Member
Looks great! I did the same to mine. But I also did all the side markers and the third break light.

Now do you car a favor and wash, clay bar, polish, and wax it. Your car with thank you later.

ViciousJay

Established Member
looks great OP, can anyone tell me whats been done to the set in the video below, i kinda like this better. Also what grit did you use to wetsand

Tispho

Established Member
Here is a video of how to smoke your taillights with VHT niteshade.

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OSKA0ElKg1Q"]YouTube - HOW TO TINT YOUR TAIL LIGHTS WITH VHT NITESHADES (VIDEO 1 OF 2)[/nomedia]

The video generalizes how to do it, but I have posted more detailed instructions below.

1. Sand tail lights with 2000 Grit wet sand paper. Be careful to try not to sand the white reverse light parts.

2. Mask off reverse lights extremely carefully, I used clear tape for this because I can see the reverse light edges better.

3. Mask off the ABS plastic. Use masking tape for this.

4. Wipe tail lights with weak solvent, such as prep wipes or wax and grease remover. Be careful not to get any on the masked part because solvent will cause the adhesive on the tape to break down and get all over the taillight.

5. Spray VHT niteshade on very lightly to serve as a bonding layer.

NOTE: VHT niteshade is a translucent black paint which allows the light to shine through, DO NOT USE REGULAR BLACK PAINT.

6. Start spraying wet coats of VHT, do this as evenly as possible! Otherwise you will have to remove all the VHT and start all over again from step 1. I used one wet coat to achieve my level of tint.

7. Wait 30 minutes for VHT to dry a little, then spray as many layers of clear as you want. Wait 5 minutes between layers to prevent paint runs. I used Dupli-color acrylic lacquor clear coat as it dries to the touch quicker than other clear coats that I have used.

8. Wait about 1 hour to handle, remove the masking tape carefully, stick the taillights in a bag, stick a hair dryer in the bag, tape the bag shut, cut some holes in the corners of the bag. And leave it to dry for 30 minutes - 2 hours depending on how much electricity you want to consume. Of course the longer the better.

NOTE: You want the temperature in the bag between 140 - 170 degrees Fº, cut more or less holes to adjust temperature. Use a meat thermometer to monitor the temperature. Too hot and your risking damage.

NOTE: I used the hair dryer and bag to help the paint dry for 2 hours. The reason is because if you do not, overtime when the paint dries, you will see sanding marks as the paint begins to dry and shrink more. The purpose of this step is to try and dry/cure the paint as much as possible so that this effect will be minimal.

9. Wait overnight, then sand your tail lights with 2000 grit till you see no more dust and orange peel.

10. Use an orbital buffer to reduce the likeliness of paint burn. Compound and polish to a reflective finish.

NOTE: Spray paint is not solvent resistant, so do not accidentally pour gasoline, or any other solvent onto your taillights!

NOTE: If you do mess up, the entire process is REVERSIBLE. Wipe the paint off with solvent, sand the taillights down, and try again.

NOTE: I posted these steps because many of you asked how it was done. However if you have never had painting, or detailing experience. I advise against attempting this on your own. A good body shop may be able to paint your tail lights for you for around
$100.

Last edited:

ViciousJay

Established Member
Can anyone tell me how these were done in the video below, i like the OP's but id like to do something along the lines of these

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WKSYY4q8rZs&feature=player_embedded"]YouTube - 2011 Mustang 5.0 Flowmaster Hushpower[/nomedia]

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread