Timing with e85?

pro 5.0

Established Member
E85 is probably a little harder to light than gasoline so I like to run .025 gap to minimize the chance of spark blow out at higher boost levels. In regards to timing I would go conservative as once the motor starts to detonate you have to pull a lot of timing for it to recover, it's like throwing a rock in the water the ripple affect. I read that article on Kenne Bells 2013 GT 500 where they ran the stock motor on E85 with 28 psi and 26 deg total timing at 12.0 afr gas scale, I don't know how they got away with that kind of timing. On my previous motor I ran meth injection and the motor wouldn't hit it's own ass until I put in 22 - 24 deg total timing and that was with 23 psi boost. The knock sensors never picked up any knock and the motor sounded good but shortly after it hurt the #1 piston and when I tore it down the crank was cracked in 3 places. I am scared to run big timing due to my previous encounter so this time around I am keeping a close eye on the plugs, but maybe with E85 you can get away with more timing ?

Users who are viewing this thread