timing tensioner options

Swannyvill

BLOWN '01
Established Member
Anyone with experience have opinions on the after market secondary tensioners, secondary chains from MmR, accufab? Or if there are any others. Quality,failure rate, ECT.

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
Personally, I've never seen a factory chain break just to break. If they did it's usually from something else. A cam locking up, shrapnel being thrown through the engine, etc. I ran the steel factory tensioners in my 01 and didn't have any issues. Our 06 currently has the plastic tensioners, but it doesn't get beat on like my cars do. I think the factory stuff is fine.

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
Nothing as to the redesigned tensioners putting tension on the other side of chain?
If you're talking about the secondary chains I've heard it's a good idea, but I've never ran them and don't know anyone that has.

Misspelling brought to you by Tapatalk

Swannyvill

BLOWN '01
Established Member
yeah, that the weird thing. I see stuff about then tensioner putting tension on the wrong side but I don't know anyone that has bought a new design and ran it.

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
yeah, that the weird thing. I see stuff about then tensioner putting tension on the wrong side but I don't know anyone that has bought a new design and ran it.
I think it's just a cost thing. I looked at them when I was building my last engine, but they were out of my budget.

Misspelling brought to you by Tapatalk

99COBRA2881

Piss on Fox Sports1
Established Member
I have the Accufab secondary timing chain tensioner on the engine in my AI race car. It tensions the drive side of the chain and eliminates timing fluctuations, supposed to be more consistent.

A better mod is the "vitamin c" tensioner pivot mod that a guy over on modfords sells. Stock pivots are an m8 diameter pivot pin with m6 threads. The vitamin c pivots require the pivot pin threads in the block to be drilled out and rethreaded to m8x1.25 threads

jrgoffin

Been around...
Established Member
Here's info on both the secondary tensioner as well as the upgraded guide pins in this build:

http://www.modularfords.com/threads/236857-Aluminator-Gibtec-build

It's an Aluminator/Nemak block, but most of the minor details are the same. All the small upgrades that are beneath the timing cover are well worth it, and for a good deal on the chains and gears, the FRPP kit is a great bang for the buck. There's also a bunch of detail on degreeing the cams - well worth the read.

Users who are viewing this thread