Time to upgrade the transmission and maybe go turbo?

96vertsnake

Established Member
I've had the engine and transmission out of the car to clean up the engine bay and make some changes. First, the T-45 was not up to the task and has been whining and puking fluid since I raced and beat a corvette some time ago. I'd been nursing it along until we got my son's termi back together.

I sent the tranny to the T45 source and Zak just called me and said there is nothing he or anyone else can do to make that T45 hold the torq the motor is producing. (In my sig it is 625/500 at 16psi, however, I'm now at 19psi so it's more now;) So the question is stay with a five speed or go T56?

Secondly, I've been dragging my feet on getting the motor back in the car because I've been considering a different power adder. I love the feel of the YSI centri as it spools up and it pulls like a freight train, but I want something a little less noisy. The car sounds like a 747 when cruising through the neighborhood with the BOV letting out all that air. I know its going to be loud when I mash the peddle whether it's turbo or centri, I'm just looking for something that doesn't call attention at every stoplight.

So I'm thinking about selling my complete YSI setup with custom piping and intercooler and going with a Hellion single turbo set up. One concern is I hear that turbo's can be finicky and constantly need attention. Is that just turbo envy from those withoutoris it a matter of getting the right set up the first time?

1997Cobra

Established Member
If it was me, I'd keep the sc system ( ME WANT ) and slap a tko in there (unless you want to buy a magnum $). Sounds like a nice setup though

96vertsnake

Established Member
Is putting a TKO in that simple? I'm dragging my feet on the T56 because of the money for the conversion, but won't many of the same changes be needed? New driveshaft, bellhousing, etc?

encasedmetal

WHINO!
Established Member
Zak built mine for more than that and it's holding fine with my combo. weird- I'll have to ask him why he told you what he did.

96vertsnake

Established Member
He said the wear pattern on the 3 & 4 gears shows it wont take the power. I can't say exactly why Zak believes it can't be done, maybe it's just not cost effective vs a T56. Zak's words, "there is nothing I or anyone else can do to build a T45 for you to hold up to that power"

He told me before I sent him the transmission that I was on the very edge of the capabilities of the T45.

encasedmetal

WHINO!
Established Member
He said the wear pattern on the 3 & 4 gears shows it wont take the power. I can't say exactly why Zak believes it can't be done, maybe it's just not cost effective vs a T56. Zak's words, "there is nothing I or anyone else can do to build a T45 for you to hold up to that power"

He told me before I sent him the transmission that I was on the very edge of the capabilities of the T45.

sorry to hear that- at least mine is doing fine:shrug:

Tabres

Not without incident
Established Member
Not entirely sure what is finnicky about a turbo :shrug: What I love about mine is that exactly what you commented about, it doesn't make any noise at idle and cruise. I'd lose my mind if I had to cruise around listening to the BOV on a big centri all the time.

96vertsnake

Established Member
I've been going back and forth on turbo vs centri. I've run a centri on this car from almost brand new. When I rebuilt the motor I went to a T trim and now a YSI. I don't think I have 1000 miles on the YSI.

The problem, as always, comes down to money.......especially now that I have to do a tranny swap. I'm leaning towards selling the whole blower setup and trying turbo. i've never owned a car with turbo so maybe it's just time for a change.

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
ehh I say T56mag and keep whatcha got.. Unless you got the funds for a custom turbo setup.

Users who are viewing this thread