Time to experience some German engineering

trxcobra

Established Member
SVTP - long time no see. It's been a while since I have been on this site (mainly because it was temporarily blocked on my work computer), but I am back!

Some of you may have seen my black notchback sell a couple months ago before my disappearance, so I figure it is time to introduce my long-awaited Porsche purchase. A little back story for those interested.

I have always had a soft spot for 911s, and knew I would own one eventually. Watching all of the desirable ones double in price has been frustrating, but it is what it is.
The 996 Turbo and GT2 have been high on my list for a long time... right in that sweet spot where the cars were liquid cooled, had some creature comforts but still provided a very analog driving experience and were relatively underpriced for a long time.

I searched for majority of 2021, including several road trips to see sub-par cars in color combinations that I really didn't love. I even tried (very hard) to buy two of them but the owners got cold feet. It was literally the most frustrating car search I have experienced LOL.

Then, an enthusiast in California luckily spotted one of my various "WTB" threads and reached out with a rare and impressive example that they were considering selling to fund their 997 GT2 build (eyeroll).

It is a 2002 911 Turbo 6 Speed in Carrara White over Natural Brown interior.
The options list is pretty extensive, most importantly including the "X50" power package, full-leather interior with Painted seatbacks, and a slew of others making it a pretty high MSRP car.

I did not want a bone stock car, and these are expensive to modify so that is where the car became even more appealing. It is basically setup to-and-beyond GT2 specifications, meaning that it was converted to RWD, has GT2RS gearing and alignment specs, full "Street Cup" suspension from BBi Autosport, Billet Brembo Calipers, upgraded turbos and a handful of other goodies. The GT2 Bumper and Decklid were also huge selling points for me.

I was able to put about 250 miles on it before the snow hit here in New England.
Very anxious to get some more seat time! The pics are not great and were all taken before a proper detail on the car - more will be coming in the spring. Let me know what you think!

51871845972_1ae542d67f_o.jpg

51827536882_d5235a9c60_k.jpg

Delivery Day (covered in dust):

51871846807_26df87ddc2_k.jpg

51828825719_f4ffedc4c6_k.jpg

51873127349_e838abe8f9_k.jpg

51873448340_758154602f_k.jpg

51828825669_8c43ef1a68_k.jpg

Last edited:

Don't Care
Established Member
Malt Liquor Mafia
Very nice and tastefully done. Those Mezger motors can handle a lot of hp, I'm sure it's been done but make sure the coolant pipes and camshafts are pinned.

I bought my 1st 911 last year so I know how you're feeling right now. The more you drive it the more you'll love it, at this point I could never see myself without one.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Congratulations! Great color combination, and it has mods that you would have wanted. Win-Win. Sitting next to the Viper in one of your photos, the 2002 911 is as timeless (design wise) as the Viper. I have to say that I wasn't sure if I'd be thrilled with a white exterior, but THAT looks awesome. Perfect wheels, as well, to compliment the package. Enjoy it!

trxcobra

Established Member
Appreciate the feedback everyone!

I think I saw you on Rt 2 by 128 about 3 weeks ago ??
Don't think so! The car was tucked away late November so I must have a lookalike

. Those Mezger motors can handle a lot of hp, I'm sure it's been done but make sure the coolant pipes and camshafts are pinned.

I bought my 1st 911 last year so I know how you're feeling right now. The more you drive it the more you'll love it, at this poi
I feel more and more drawn to Porsches, which seems to be surprisingly common when you talk to other owners. The camshaft issue only plagues the 997.1 cars, but the coolant pipes have been welded already on mine. That's a pretty invasive job so I lucked out there.

color combination, and it has mods that you would have wanted. Win-Win. Sitting next to the Viper in one of your photos, the 2002 911 is as timeless (design wise) as the Viper. I have to say that I wasn't sure if I'd be thrilled with a white exterior, but THAT looks aw
Totally agree. That's my brother's Viper so those two cars will share the road a bit this year. It's funny how different they are despite being direct competitors in the era. They are actually both the same year!

98 svt

Established Member
Premium Member
Appreciate the feedback everyone!

Don't think so! The car was tucked away late November so I must have a lookalike

I feel more and more drawn to Porsches, which seems to be surprisingly common when you talk to other owners. The camshaft issue only plagues the 997.1 cars, but the coolant pipes have been welded already on mine. That's a pretty invasive job so I lucked out there.

Totally agree. That's my brother's Viper so those two cars will share the road a bit this year. It's funny how different they are despite being direct competitors in the era. They are actually both the same year!

That's great that they are both the same year.
You guys should do some side by side pics comparing engine bay, interior etc. Would probably be pretty cool.

trxcobra

Established Member
That's great that they are both the same year.
You guys should do some side by side pics comparing engine bay, interior etc. Would probably be pretty cool.
We've been talking about that actually, would make for a good youtube video too!

trxcobra

Established Member
Pretty sweet ride. What kind of power does something like this make?

Fairly common for these to put down anywhere from 550 - 650 whp on pump fuel with upgraded turbos and proper fuel mods. This one should be on the mid/upper end of that spectrum given the turbo/injector setup (GT3076 Alpha kit with ID1000s), but I do not have a dyno sheet. Will be tuning remotely in the spring to adjust for 93 octane since it came from the west coast.

My seat-of-the-pants review is that the car is scary fast but we all have different definitions of that!

raustin0017

Established Member
Your 911 is amazing and must be a blast to drive. Was able to go to the Zuffenhausen Porsche factory in Stuttgart, Germany in 2009 while I was in the USAF. It was a special day for the 20 of us who got to tour the entire factory. Amazing to see how the assembly works. The factory is in downtown Stuttgart and they have several buildings connected by overhead / under ground tunnels. Pic shows a conveyer system connecting two of the buildings.

Attachments

• porsche_factory1.jpg
    porsche_factory1.jpg
    21.6 KB · Views: 62

Don't Care
Established Member
Malt Liquor Mafia
550 Porsche hp is is like 800 everything else hp. The speed is addicting and they pull as hard in every gear so watch your license.

trxcobra

Established Member
Your 911 is amazing and must be a blast to drive. Was able to go to the Zuffenhausen Porsche factory in Stuttgart, Germany in 2009 while I was in the USAF. It was a special day for the 20 of us who got to tour the entire factory. Amazing to see how the assembly works. The factory is in downtown Stuttgart and they have several buildings connected by overhead / under ground tunnels. Pic shows a conveyer system connecting two of the buildings.
Thank you! That sounds like an amazing trip. Bucket list for sure.

550 Porsche hp is is like 800 everything else hp. The speed is addicting and they pull as hard in every gear so watch your license.
You're not kidding. I only got into boost a handful of times and was shocked by the speedometer. I've driven some fast cars in my day but this one feels a bit different.

They call the 996 GT2 the last "widow maker" Porsche so I think I will ease into pushing this car beyond my comfort zone haha

Don't Care
Established Member
Malt Liquor Mafia
Thank you! That sounds like an amazing trip. Bucket list for sure.

You're not kidding. I only got into boost a handful of times and was shocked by the speedometer. I've driven some fast cars in my day but this one feels a bit different.

They call the 996 GT2 the last "widow maker" Porsche so I think I will ease into pushing this car beyond my comfort zone haha

I believe the 996 was the last Turbo without variable vane turbos so when it hits it hits hard. I just sold my Carrera back to my dealer for more than I paid for it last year and the sales manager summed it up nicely. He said if you can drive these cars near their limits then you really know how to drive. It's amazing how capable they are.

Users who are viewing this thread