Time for a shifter

Silver Talon

Pronounced: Mahcargo Braaaap
Established Member
So I just got done putting in my new Mantic twin disk clutch, and I really meant to order a shifter before I did the install, cause obviously that would have been easier and the smart thing to do, but got busy and spaced it. After having it all out, the bushings on the shifter are shot, as can be expected for a 50k+ mile car.

So whats the best mannered shifter for a car driven on the street?

Norton

Long-time SVT Enthusiast
Established Member
+1 for MGW.

20200530_105122.jpg 20200530_105140.jpg

Last edited:

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
The MGW2 has two handle length options, so you wll need to know which works best for you.....or just buy both and "first hand" use them and then choose which is best......

001-zpsy9mr4d0w.jpg

001-zpsew1qbguj.jpg

..................and if you also choose the Gripper shifter ball/knob, either the round or cylindrical, don't forget the Very Cool "Cobra head" stainless topper that has just been added to the MGW website this past weekend......

009.jpg

R

Last edited:

Cman01

hello
Established Member
I did the Gen 2 last year and it was on my car for a few months before I removed it when I sold the car.

It took me a while to get used to it, but that was my doing and not the fault of the shifter. I knew after I got it I was not going to do the semi remote mount setup (that setup from Ford suck balls) with the shifter so I paired it with a Blowfish bracket.

It took a few tries for me to get the rear mount setup correct. Ultimately I had the rear mount bolted to the BF bracket with an aluminum spacer so the rear bracket sat in the OE location (but not bolted to the body of the car). This setup worked great. I was able to pull 6500rpm 1-2 shifts without any lockout or grind. Even with a Gen 2 that issue can still pop up if u mount the shifter like OE.

Tony

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
Quick question: How do the handle lengths compare to stock? Are they both shorter?

Thanks

That would probably be answered best by George at MGW or someone on here who has done the install and compared stick heights. I have not installed my MGW2 yet. The cylindrical Gripper knob is also and option for height since it is taller than the regular ball knob Gripper. Cylindrical Gripper shown below......(Topper shown is no longer available from MGW)......

007.jpg

008.jpg

R

Catmonkey

I Void Warranties!
Established Member
Premium Member
Not to mention, look at the length of the threads on the shafts. You could mount it 1/2" to 3/4" higher than the lowest possibility. Here's a shot of mine with the longer of the two shafts. I haven't had a stock shifter in this car for 7 years, so I can't say if it's close to OEM or not. It's got a great feel the way it's mounted now.

MGW height.jpg

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
Not to mention, look at the length of the threads on the shafts. You could mount it 1/2" to 3/4" higher than the lowest possibility. Here's a shot of mine with the longer of the two shafts. I haven't had a stock shifter in this car for 7 years, so I can't say if it's close to OEM or not. It's got a great feel the way it's mounted now.

View attachment 1643202

^^^That is a Nice looking set up!

R

Users who are viewing this thread