Ticking sound coming from bottom of engine compartment

vb7200

First post here, I have a 1999 Cobra, pretty much stock. It's developed a ticking sound coming from what sounds like the bottom end. You can only hear it below 1,000 and above about 1,800 RPM. I've heard a thrown rob bearing before (had a 335xi throw one before) and it doesn't sound like that, and the fact that it doesn't make the sound all the way through the rev range makes me think it could be something else. Guy from a local shop said to try draining some oil and adding some Lucas Oil stabilizer, but that made 0 difference. Maybe I'm in denial, but I've just never heard of a knock being intermittent like that. Any input is appriciated!

vb7200

Are you sure its coming from the bottom end? A bad lash adjuster can cause a ticking noise, like a bad lifter on an OHV engine.
It's loudest on the passenger side when you're on the ground. I've been watching some youtube videos of valve tick and it sounds a lot more like that. Only thing is it never really quiets down. Even with the heavier oil added it didn't make a difference.

Badaz01

Established Member
It's loudest on the passenger side when you're on the ground. I've been watching some youtube videos of valve tick and it sounds a lot more like that. Only thing is it never really quiets down. Even with the heavier oil added it didn't make a difference.
My 01 cobra did the same thing. I added a prochager to it and in 280 miles I ended up with two pistons with broken ringlands. Don’t know if it was there before and the blower highlighted the issue or if it was simply valve train noise. I hear a lot of guys say these motors are noisy. Hopefully in a few weeks I’ll have back my totally rebuilt motor and heads and see if all the new components make a difference. I’ll let you know when I finally get it back.

Badaz01

Established Member
My 01 cobra did the same thing. I added a prochager to it and in 280 miles I ended up with two pistons with broken ringlands. Don’t know if it was there before and the blower highlighted the issue or if it was simply valve train noise. I hear a lot of guys say these motors are noisy. Hopefully in a few weeks I’ll have back my totally rebuilt motor and heads and see if all the new components make a difference. I’ll let you know when I finally get it back.

vb7200

How this pans out is going to determine my plans for the car. If it turns out to be something that is a reasonable price to fix I'd just do that and get a nice little NA build going. If the motor is shot and has to go, I'd just do a Terminator swap. If I'm going to put serious money into this car I might as well go out. Plan on keeping this car til I'm 6 foot under so I don't mind throwing the cash at it.

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
Skip the swap and build what you have. If the crank is good all you need are rods and pistons and you'll be able to make whstever power you want to make.

Badaz01

Established Member
How this pans out is going to determine my plans for the car. If it turns out to be something that is a reasonable price to fix I'd just do that and get a nice little NA build going. If the motor is shot and has to go, I'd just do a Terminator swap. If I'm going to put serious money into this car I might as well go out. Plan on keeping this car til I'm 6 foot under so I don't mind throwing the cash at it.
I hear ya. Go 410’s in the rear
Skip the swap and build what you have. If the crank is good all you need are rods and pistons and you'll be able to make whstever power you want to make.
yes I second that. This way you know what you have and it’ll be new and all the beatings will be yours lol.

vb7200

I hear ya. Go 410’s in the rear

yes I second that. This way you know what you have and it’ll be new and all the beatings will be yours lol.

I am leaning more towards an NA build since I just feel like everyone goes forced induction. I totally get why, especially on 2v's, it's just one of the most effective way to make serious power., but given that these were pretty much the last NA performance Mustang, I'd really like to keep the stock 4v. Plus, it does have a Teksid block, so that's a big plus (assuming it's not damaged, hopefully).

Badaz01

Established Member
I am leaning more towards an NA build since I just feel like everyone goes forced induction. I totally get why, especially on 2v's, it's just one of the most effective way to make serious power., but given that these were pretty much the last NA performance Mustang, I'd really like to keep the stock 4v. Plus, it does have a Teksid block, so that's a big plus (assuming it's not damaged, hopefully).
Yea man the teksid is tough. Kinda wish I would’ve stayed NA the boosted power is nice but NA life was much simpler. My car was at 310 rwhp before I went FI.

sn8k

THe oLD FaRT
Established Member
I'd check for an exhaust leak at the header... took me the longest time to figure out where that damn ticking sound came from. Worth a look.

ATCzMustang

Established Member
My 01' COBRA has always made that ticking sound on the passenger side, and have zero issues overall. HP is strong, car runs amazingly well. I hear it most with the hood popped, and my ear near the motor. I used to worry about these things more often, but to me if the car is running really well, nothing is leaking or smoking, and it's not SUPER loud (like something is broke), I move on most of the time.

Users who are viewing this thread