Ticket gets tossed and this guy brings it up during a traffic stop, why?i

sono

Established Member
Was pulled for tint on the front wind shield by FHP. Fine, I explain my occupation has me in the dark 10 hours a day, Eye issues. I now have a physicians note. I understand not complaining.

Why would he bring up a prior ticket for estimated speed of 93 that was tossed. The exact estimated speed and the officer that gave it to me?
This should be permanently out of the system or not?

I support my local guys, chat it up all the time, and other than a fast car with red stripes fit no other profiles that I know of. Just a dad on his way home from work traveling under the speed limit. This is the 3rd time I have been pulled by FHP.

It's not the "being stopped", It's the tossed ticket that's still being referenced that has me scratching my head.

SignalZero

Eat mor Chikin
Established Member
Dunno why he would bring that up but, I do know that if you were stopped before and written (warning or citation) it keeps the info through our "database". It will usually tell you the citation/warn issued, date, time, officer, etc but won't show if it was tossed out or not. That MAY show up in D.A.V.I.D.

Now obviously most officers take into account ones driving history and type of license but there are those who don't.

I also believe that a physician/doctors note does not allow one to have complete windshield tint. There is a form that has to be filled out either by the doctor or person applying for the exemption to be "legal" through DHSMV. I've only ever seen one and I think I through the lady for a loop when I thanked her for doing the right thing and apologized for any inconvenience.

sono

Established Member
Appreciate the reply. Will follow up with the form or reluctantly pull the tint. So it sounds like everything is visible in the system. I just want the tossed stuff not visible at all.

Last edited:

SignalZero

Eat mor Chikin
Established Member
No problem :beer: Got any other questions you can PM me if ya want.

I do find it helpful sometimes with the history thing. Say if I get a tag number on a hit and run and the suspected drivers description doesn't match the registered owner but it may match a person that was ticketed in the vehicle a couple months prior. OR say the person was "loaded up" by one of our guys on a previous stop (not saying any of them do that but... Lol) kinda makes a difference sometimes.

Thinking of it now, d.a.v.i.d. Usually shows if you were found guilty or if adjudication was withheld but I don't think it shows anything if the citation/charge was thrown out.

Riddla

It's for your own protection
Established Member
Quick question in regards to something similar.

Can a warning become a citation afterwards. For example, warning for something and a ticket for speeding. If the officer so desires can the warning be reinstated as a citation?

Just wondering about this.

SignalZero

Eat mor Chikin
Established Member
Dunno about other states or depts but.... With us, you can't really "change" a warning into a citation but rather a citation has to be issued. There's no "quick change" kinda thing if that's what you're referring to. I can however create a citation from a warning and warning from a citation but they will be linked and will show exactly as that, a "companion". NOW, If I create a warning and issued it to the person then decided after I was no longer in contact with that person that they should of had a citation instead (attitude, etc), (and there are those bad apples) IT CAN BE DONE BUT, the time the warning was created or deleted will be stored in our database we use as well as the same info for the citation. The person proving they received a warning and not a citation would be easy and hopefully the officer would be reprimanded (that's just bad business, I say fire them but that's a different thread :beer: )

Obviously, the citation is required to be issued to the person receiving it however, you have those that make the rest of us look bad...

Hope that answered your question...

Users who are viewing this thread