Ticket for having license plate on dashboard

MrMason

Established Member
I have a 1995 Eclipse I'm trying to sell, just got a new front bumper for it, not even painted yet, doesn't have any plate holes, had it parked on the street and I drove by it this morning and saw a ticket on the windshield. It was for having my plates displayed in the wrong place. It is supposed to be on the bumper. If I just go ahead and drill holes in the bumper and put the plate on and bring a picture to court do you think they'll let me off? I know it's not a big deal, it's only a $50 ticket, but it's just annoying that I just got a new bumper, had the car parked on the street and it got ticketed.

mystical

Established Member
Wow, have never heard of being ticketed for that while the vehicle was parked.

$50 isn't bad, we get dinged $110 up here. I'd fight it regardless. Goodluck.

LS2GTO

Established Member
You can always attatch it temporarily to the bumper without drilling holes in it. If you're trying to sell it and will just be sitting in your driveway or on the street then you don't need to go all out and drill the bumper, just attach it somehow to where it's supposed to be (zipties, double sided tape etc) just so you don't get anymore tickets and/or get this one dismissed.

CobraMac

Established Member
I got a no front licence plate ticket in the cobra and just double side taped a fake bracket on the front and attached the plate to it...drove it down to the chp office and they even touched it and it was fine...got it signed off...went home and took it back off. I'm not suggesting that necesarily, but it's an idea if you don't want to drill holes haha

Last edited:

SNCBOOM

Established Member
Just pay it. $50 is nothing compared to having to deal with going downtown to the courthouse.

Guy Fawkes

Established Member
I dont know, I dont see how that is legal to get a ticket for a parked car. Because its not in operation. I would venture a guess because (I assume from your post) it was on the street (city property) is how they can ticket you for that. Compared to say if, it was on your property.

No idea though, that sucks.

VenomRogue

Focus > Mustang
Established Member
that makes no sense.

say you just put the bumper on, and had it prepped for painting, and didnt want to drill wholes in the bumper till it dried, so you didnt drive your car, but still wanted to have proper plates displayed.

thats bullshit they can ticket a parked car with proper tags showing.

I dont know about VA law, but in Texas it IS LEGAL to have your front plate clearly displayed in your front window.

Users who are viewing this thread