Ticket for burnout

Fred

The other night I was with this girl, we were just driving thru this street to leave. We stopped off at a 7-11 for a drink. As I was getting out of the 7-11 driveway, my bumper started to hit from underneath (note: my front bumper is a Cobra R bumper, and the car is lowered about 1.5 inches). So I quickly got out of that situation. My car did a small little burnout, but barely anything. No marks, and the quick turn lasted no more than a milisecond.

Then I see this cop car right in front of me, going the other way. I looked at the cop from my rear view, he didn't stop or turn. So I thought I was ok.

Then about 2 minutes later at a red light, I see the cop right behind me. Light turns green, I start to drive. But he puts on his lights and sirens. I immediately pull over and park the car, not turning it off though.

He comes out and tells me that I did a burn out. I said, "Officer, I didn't do a burnout really. All that happened, was that my bumper was scratching. So I left fast to prevent damage to my car." He then says "Oh yeah?". I say "Yes, my bumper can't go over bumps and stuff without scratching. Look underneath, there are a lot of scratches". He then proceeds to look and feel under the bumper. Comes back up, and says "Yes, you're right. There are scratches". Then he asks for my drivers license and car registration. I give him it. He goes to his car for about 10 minutes literally. Meanwhile I'm just chillin with the girl and we're talking.. ect.
Cop comes back, and tells me to get out of the car. I get out, no problem. He then tells me "You can't handle this car. You're a street racer, and you could have killed someone." I say, "No I don't street race. And I can handle the car fine, the only problem is on bumps that I have to be very careful". He then says "Do you want to complain about this ticket?". I say "Yes, because the "burnout" that you say I did for less than a second. And no marks or noise or smoke were made". He then proceeds to get onto his personal walkie talkie (it's attached to his collar) to call over his other personelle. Then he reaches for his hand cuffs. I then say "Whatever. Give me the ticket, but I will be disputing it. This isn't worth it for me.". He gives me the ticket, $172 CND. $86 for the burnout, and $86 for no "N" displayed on the outside of my car (I have had my license for a year).

I filed a dispute for this ticket. Anybody have any tips for me to fight this?

I took pictures of the scene, and there are no marks on the road.

Fred

In B.C., Canada. We need to display a "N" sign on the back of our cars. It stands for "New Driver". You need to have it for 18 months after you get your license. I never put mine up, as I think it looks ugly on my car.

MayorofTrukvile

Established Member
I had a similar experience two years ago I was crusing the strip in my 97 f-150 with a stick very hot and humid, under these conditions the truck always wanted to miss or die I pulled into the turn lane yea there was cars all around me in front both sides the thing started to die and i got mad slapped it in neutral and held it to the floor stock muffler but I let it bounce the governers a few times and failed to see Enis handing out tickets like candy in the parking lot next to me He told me to pull it over and after a 20min very uneccary safety lecture I got a C& I thats careless and Imprudent Driving I called my lawyer told him how I got a C&I sitting in a turn lane we both got a good laugh he went to law school with the city attorney but I still kept getting pushed back no reconcillation of what it might get reduced to or anything several letters was sent to the city attorney and phone calls but no answer I was getting nervous the day that my case went to trial my lawyer called me said it was reduced to a municipal offince $50 fine no points would not be on my offical record when i went to pay at the city attorney office they said I owed nothing because the cop dropped my case that very moring I call my lawyer on the cell for some on the spot advice he told me if the cop drops the case then thats the end of it period no fine or anything

sorry so long

FordSVTFan

Oh, the humanity of it all.
Established Member
Sorry Fred but Canada is different than the US. You are caught dead to rights with the "N." As for the burnout, it is your word against his and with you not identifying yourself as a new driver (utilizing the N) you have the appearance of impropriety. And as is often said in the US Legal system, the look of impropriety is as bad impropriety itself. So, it would be a significant uphill battle here in the states.

Good luck

Hulk

95lightning

Established Member
yeah i had the same problem, i was leaving school and it was wet and my wheels didn't catch right away and this cop gave me a ticket. he said it was for doing a burnout and i was trying to explain to him what happened and he was giving me alot of shit about it. he ended up not even giving me a ticket for a burnout...it was for careless driving. he said there were kids in the cross walk, and we don't have a cross walk in the parking lot at school and there was no one there. this was after i had wrestling practice. it is horse shit.

Users who are viewing this thread