Tick/knocking sounds started today help please

bobbystang

Hsssssss
Established Member
Well I just fixed my RPM sticking problem and now today I noticed that When I was driving my car anytime I tap the gas pedal a ticking sound became more rapid n is coming from by the driver side of the engine.
Video is attached n I’m afraid to ask but I assume this is not a good sign and that I potentially blew a piston/rod or what options could this be of what happened? Help please guys ty

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

nxhappy

Established Member
not good, piston slap or rods knocking, check the pain oil for metal. also run a compression test.

bobbystang

Hsssssss
Established Member
I am praying it’s a blown spark plug fingers crossed as after doing further research and watching videos on YouTube of my exact car and other Fords it sounds almost just like it even as I drove it to shop. Pray for me guys as I’ll know by next week likely

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

Dirks9901

Paint>Vinyl
Established Member
Premium Member
Update the thread when you know. I honestly cannot tell from the video. Spun rod bearing? How many miles do you have on it?

bobbystang

Hsssssss
Established Member
Update the thread when you know. I honestly cannot tell from the video. Spun rod bearing? How many miles do you have on it?

Well to update 3 weeks later he changed all the driver side lifters it wasn’t that n then opened it up again and removed followers n did a leak down test. No issues found.
Couldn’t quite figure it out and then he did a compression test on each cylinder and the right side all read the same and driver side he noticed cylinder 8 closest to driver
Side read 10% lower.
So he thinks it’s inside that cylinder.
He didn’t charge me anything which was nice of him.

I drive it and it literally drives fine but the noise is there.
I don’t take it passed 3k at this time as I don’t want to damage anything further.

So now he recommends a second opinion or a engine shop to open it up.

Here is another clip of sound and it did get a lil quieter after he worked on it

What do I do at this point I am beyond frustrated. Looking for any advice or anybody in the metro Detroit area as I am in Rochester myself for anybody that can help or recommend

bobbystang

Hsssssss
Established Member
Did you try changing the oil weight? Also you could get your oil analysis. If it’s a bearing it will show up. Sounds like piston slap or bearing to me.

When you say change the oil weight do you literally mean like me doing oil change from mobil one full synthetic 5W 30 to another like like 10W 30? I guess please just be more simple with what you’re asking because I understand some mechanical terms and things but not everything. Thanks

SSSSSSSSSSSSVT

Established Member
When you say change the oil weight do you literally mean like me doing oil change from mobil one full synthetic 5W 30 to another like like 10W 30? I guess please just be more simple with what you’re asking because I understand some mechanical terms and things but not everything. Thanks

Yeah that’s what I was getting at. Does the noise go away when the engine gets to operating temp? Or is it the same cold start to engine warm?

bobbystang

Hsssssss
Established Member
Yeah that’s what I was getting at. Does the noise go away when the engine gets to operating temp? Or is it the same cold start to engine warm?

Honestly ever since I’ve heard the noise I haven’t driven it for more than a 10 minute increment and I’ve only done that twice. My next question to you is how long do I need to let the car run for it to fully be warmed up to see if the knocking stays the same, fades away or quiets down?
And no I have not done any type of oil change since this happened. I did do an oil change once I took my car out of storage this year if that means anything

SSSSSSSSSSSSVT

Established Member
Honestly ever since I’ve heard the noise I haven’t driven it for more than a 10 minute increment and I’ve only done that twice. My next question to you is how long do I need to let the car run for it to fully be warmed up to see if the knocking stays the same, fades away or quiets down?
And no I have not done any type of oil change since this happened. I did do an oil change once I took my car out of storage this year if that means anything

You could look into sending a sample of your oil to Blackstone Oil Analysis. They will be able to tell you if there is metal in the oil. I’ve never done it but I’ve heard they are fast and cheap and give you a good report.

Roots-type

+displacement
Established Member
I can pull that and look hopefully tomorrow or so but let me know what are symptoms once I pull the plug if it looks a certain way and what would that mean etc? Ty

If the piston is broken the end of the plug will likely be covered in oil. There may also be tiny specks of aluminum on the plug (piston material). A ground strap that is pinched down on the electrode is another bad sign.

bobbystang

Hsssssss
Established Member
If the piston is broken the end of the plug will likely be covered in oil. There may also be tiny specks of aluminum on the plug (piston material). A ground strap that is pinched down on the electrode is another bad sign.

Not sure I will check and let you know but I believe my mechanic did look at the plug and I believe he said it did look fine but I will double check. He was semi-confident that it’s not the piston/rod but he feels it’s something in cylinder eight he’s pretty confident but as mentioned before he said to get a second opinion as he thinks it’s something internally in the engine cylinder 8 area

Dirks9901

Paint>Vinyl
Established Member
Premium Member
Well to update 3 weeks later he changed all the driver side lifters it wasn’t that n then opened it up again and removed followers n did a leak down test. No issues found.
Couldn’t quite figure it out and then he did a compression test on each cylinder and the right side all read the same and driver side he noticed cylinder 8 closest to driver
Side read 10% lower.
So he thinks it’s inside that cylinder.
He didn’t charge me anything which was nice of him.

I drive it and it literally drives fine but the noise is there.
I don’t take it passed 3k at this time as I don’t want to damage anything further.

So now he recommends a second opinion or a engine shop to open it up.

Here is another clip of sound and it did get a lil quieter after he worked on it

What do I do at this point I am beyond frustrated. Looking for any advice or anybody in the metro Detroit area as I am in Rochester myself for anybody that can help or recommend

It really sounds like a bearing to me.

So I am in the Livonia area. My 01 was tuned by Lidio at alternative auto and he used to do motor builds on 4v's but he stopped to concentrate on newer rides. Dude has always been 100% with me. Anyway I reached out to him to have him build a short block (built) for me and he recommended the Hot Rod shop in Troy. I reached out to them, seem like good guys, but never did business with them unfortunately so I don't have personal experiences.

Sent from my iPad using the svtperformance.com mobile app

bobbystang

Hsssssss
Established Member
It really sounds like a bearing to me.

So I am in the Livonia area. My 01 was tuned by Lidio at alternative auto and he used to do motor builds on 4v's but he stopped to concentrate on newer rides. Dude has always been 100% with me. Anyway I reached out to him to have him build a short block (built) for me and he recommended the Hot Rod shop in Troy. I reached out to them, seem like good guys, but never did business with them unfortunately so I don't have personal experiences.

Sent from my iPad using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Ty I appreciate that detailed description. I am initially going to try out a place in the Utica and Van Dyke area in Sterling Heights who my mechanic personally recommended were by the sounds of it very honest and they charge very very fair and I’ll go from there

bobbystang

Hsssssss
Established Member
Ty I appreciate that detailed description. I am initially going to try out a place in the Utica and Van Dyke area in Sterling Heights who my mechanic personally recommended were by the sounds of it very honest and they charge very very fair and I’ll go from there

Well after a second opinion I am now told that a shop in Troy, Michigan feels that they are very confident it’s a wrist pin that went bad in cylinder eight and he recommends a complete engine rebuild.
So just curious what your guys thoughts are on this forum.
If that part truly went bad is the next general step to do an engine rebuild or is there any alternative?

Users who are viewing this thread