Tick issue

Sajin

Established Member
Don’t need the chain to jump a tooth either. Piston to valve contact wouldn’t be fun.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I’ve never heard it rattle before on a cold start after sitting for a few days in the last two years I have owned it. A google search on 1-3 second rattle on cold start will get you results of people stating timing components as the cause. Maybe I’m just being paranoid?
I didn't know that. Paranoid? Maybe. LOL. But seriously, if it was my car a 1-3 second rattle on a cold start would be "normal" to me. @01yellercobra made a similar comment. I'd make a note of it and see if it gets worse, but I'd wrap my head around it being "normal" for now.

Sajin

Established Member
Guess you guys just like to wait for things to totally break. I haven’t heard the 1-3 second rattle noise on cold start in two years of ownership, but now I have. To me it has already gotten worse because I have never heard it produce such a noise before.

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
Damn. Ok. Or maybe I've had more than one mod motor come through my garage and I've learned one or two things since I started messing with them back in 2005.

You do you bubba. Enjoy that bill from your Roush certified dealer.

Sajin

Established Member
So your suggestion is to wait until the noise never goes away, or starts to rattle under acceleration?

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Guess you guys just like to wait for things to totally break. I haven’t heard the 1-3 second rattle noise on cold start in two years of ownership, but now I have. To me it has already gotten worse because I have never heard it produce such a noise before.
So your suggestion is to wait until the noise never goes away, or starts to rattle under acceleration?
Then just do what you feel you need to do. You're obviously not going to be able to just keep an eye on it. You're concerned about a minor occasional 2-3 second rattle on an occasional cold start. Take it to a good shop and let them find and fix the issue.

wckdvnm

Established Member

If you look around hard enough there’s many threads on this from 2,3,4v cars and it is normal. My 2v f-150 does it when it’s very cold and it’s time to change the oil or close to it. It’s not the end of the world, get some liqui moly flush or the BG products kit and do a full oil flush and see what happens. Or throw some MMO in it with the next oil change.

2011 gtcs

GT500 poster
Established Member
Premium Member
Maybe I missed it, but are you pulling the engine to have it gone through? I would just replace all the timing components with new OE hardware
And install a billet pil pump setup at the same time.
You already had the lash adjusters/lifter replaced right?

wckdvnm

Established Member
Maybe I missed it, but are you pulling the engine to have it gone through? I would just replace all the timing components with new OE hardware

Good last point; that is the source of my random idle tick. It’s the lash adjuster on cylinder 6/7 on mine. One of the reasons I am going to go through the timing and lash adjusters.

2011 gtcs

GT500 poster
Established Member
Premium Member
Good last point; that is the source of my random idle tick. It’s the lash adjuster on cylinder 6/7 on mine. One of the reasons I am going to go through the timing and lash adjusters.
I know the GT500s have issues with cylinder head tick and usually replacing the lash adjusters/lifters fixes it.

Sajin

Established Member
If you look around hard enough there’s many threads on this from 2,3,4v cars and it is normal. My 2v f-150 does it when it’s very cold and it’s time to change the oil or close to it. It’s not the end of the world, get some liqui moly flush or the BG products kit and do a full oil flush and see what happens. Or throw some MMO in it with the next oil change.
Thanks for the info.

Dealer is suppose to do a diag first before doing anything, but yes I have had the lash adjusters and cam followers replaced on the passenger side already by another dealer. They even inspected the timing components on the passenger side, and said everything looks fine, but not sure how they checked the main tensioner on the passenger side without removing the front cover.

Last edited:

Sajin

Established Member
Well the dealership just let my car sit in their shop for days, and never got anything done, so I actually picked it up and drove to hpp racings shop where manny & brad listened to my car, and told me that they didn't hear anything concerning. Pretty crazy considering the ticking. Guess the light ticking I have isn't a big deal. After returning home after the 344 mile trip I didn't hear it making the noise anymore either. Guess it just needs more exercise considering it only has 3600 miles. I'm surprised I didn't catch any rock chips during my 344 mile trip in one day as well. The tick comes and goes, but has never gotten worse in the 2100 miles I have put on the car since I got it with 1500 miles. Guess I'm just gonna leave it be for now.

Last edited:

cj428mach

Established Member
The noise on start up is how these cars are unless you upgrade your tensioners to the ones that ratchet and keep constant tension in your chains no matter the oil pressure.

Sajin

Established Member
Been awhile since I’ve updated this thread, so lets get to it…

Today I’ll be picking up my car from hpp racing in garland texas after they have had it for a day to install a new timing kit onto it. My tensioners were indeed shot as confirmed by hpp after they opened the front cover. If your car rattles for 1-2 seconds after sitting for a few days your timing chain tensioners are shot.

Low mileage 03 cobra saved. =)

Sajin

Established Member
Here are the old parts I got back from hpp…

73BCDCE4-2515-4D12-99B0-77B6C55231CF.jpeg

1-2 second rattle at startup is normal. Yeah, only if your tensioners are shot. lol.

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
You can see where the seal was leaking on the tensioner. You people just needed those swapped out. But I get the whole "while you're in there" thing.

Users who are viewing this thread