Tick issue

Sajin

Established Member
I don’t think this is timing chain related from the videos I have listed to. I have also stethoscope’d the front cover, and the noise cannot be heard there. The noise is heard from the passenger side catalytic converter, and passenger side valve cover bolt closest to the firewall.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
So you're not hearing the ticking as much from the driver's side?

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Since you're hearing on the passenger side and not the usual driver side, I'm not convinced it's the "tick issue". Not saying it isn't that, just not convinced.

Sajin

Established Member
Another update...

Ceratec definitely makes the noise quiet down, but the noise comes through sometimes even with it in the oil, but the noise is greatly reduced.

I've made an appointment with HPP Racing in Garland, TX for this coming July. Gonna have them resolve this issue for me.

Last edited:

2011 gtcs

GT500 poster
Established Member
Premium Member
Another update...

Ceratec definitely makes the noise quiet down, but the noise comes through sometimes even with it in the oil, but the noise is greatly reduced.

I've made an appointment with HPP Racing in Garland, TX for this coming July. Gonna have them resolve this issue for me.
Whats there plan to fix the issue

2011 gtcs

GT500 poster
Established Member
Premium Member
Gonna have them go through the entire motor, and hopefully they will find the issue.
I'm very interested to find out what the issue is. I've been following this thread since you made it. My 5.8 had a cylinder head tick on the driver side, but once I had the engine built and had everything replaced and put bigger cams in the noise is gone. When they torn my engine down they said everything looked perfect. But they said odds are I had a bad lash adjuster..

Sajin

Established Member
Well if everything looks perfect then I'll just have them put it back together since the engine is 100% original.

Sajin

Established Member
Well I might not have to take my car to hpp after all. Seems the car was having lubrication issues with the oil I was using. Switching to amsoil 5w-20 signature series + liqui moly ceratec made the issue go away completely. Pretty happy about that as I didn’t want to have her tore down. I haven’t canceled my appointment with hpp yet, so if the noise comes back I’ll let you guys know that I’m still going to hpp.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I'm surprised that the oil switch made that much of a difference. Keep us informed if it comes back.

Sajin

Established Member
Still been coming, and going. Decided to have my oil checked out by blackstone labs.

Decided to do a 623 mile check as there was another person on this site that found high wear metals in his oil only after 500 miles, and his car was making noise when warm like mine does... Blackstone oil analysts

Blackstones site even says if your car has a serious issue it could very well show up within less than 500 miles on the oil... Gas & Diesel Questions | Blackstone Laboratories

"

How long should the oil stay in the engine before I sample it?​

We like to see at least 500-1000 miles to get good data. If the engine has a problem, it may very well show up with fewer miles than that, but more miles are preferred.
"

My report came back clean, so I'm pretty happy with that...
Untitled7.png

Sajin

Established Member
Update…

Noise has returned, and car has started to rattle for 1-3 seconds on a cold startup after sitting for a few days, so looks like I’ll be needing to do the timing components on the engine. Already have the Ford Racing M-6004-A464 Crankshaft Drive Kit in my possession, and have an appointment with a roush certified dealer to have the work done on the 15th of this month.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Sorry to hear that the tick noise has returned. So are you only hearing it for 1-3 seconds on a cold start after the car is sitting for a few days? If so, I'm not sure it's something you should worry about. So now you're concerned about timing components? I'm totally confused at this point.

Sajin

Established Member
I’ve never heard it rattle before on a cold start after sitting for a few days in the last two years I have owned it. A google search on 1-3 second rattle on cold start will get you results of people stating timing components as the cause. Maybe I’m just being paranoid?

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
That kills my theory about it being a drain back issue. That filter should have an anti-drain back valve.

JMO, if it's only rattling a couple seconds at start up I wouldn't freak out about it. I drove an engine like that for a while. I only swapped out the tensioners because I got tired of it. And I was able to do it on a Saturday.

Sajin

Established Member
Not going to risk the chain breaking. The car is 20 years old, and it’s obvious it’s been idled over the years to keep the motor running. I bet the engine itself has a ton of miles on it just from idling even though the odometer is only at 3200 now. Hopefully it will resolve my warm tick as well.

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
Chains generally don't just break. There's usually another reason that leads to it. Something like the cams getting starved for oil so they seize while the rest of the engine is still spinning.

Users who are viewing this thread