thunderbird won't start, need help

herbie911

SIT DOWN SHUT UP AND HOLD
Established Member
see if you have a good crank position sensor , they cause real stupid shit to happen when they go bad

sparky huberman

Established Member
Heye guys, thanks for the continued input. Things seem to be pointing back to the fuel pump not building enough pressure during the 2 second startup. It builds to about 36psi but not until it's actually cranking over and my understanding is that it should build to over 35 as soon as the key is turned on. I'm going to check the fuel pressure regulator first, but if that's not it then I'm probably diving into the pump replacement.

Regards,

Sparky

Big Bird 5.4

dirt poor hot rodder
Established Member
Sill think its the EEC not sending proper signals to the injectors....
The pressure should be about 40 lbs , engine on , vacc disconnected ... and 30 -36 lbs idle with vav connected, a little slow building pressure isnt uncommon...........Its 10 times easier/cheaper to swap out a junkyard EEC than the fuel pump tho' Keep us posted and good luck

sparky huberman

Established Member
Quick update, finally got tired of looking at the thing sitting out in the rain....made room in the garage and pulled the thunderbird in....... replaced the fuel pump (not as tough as i was thinking) and still won't start...not sure where to go from here...where is the EEC located? and will any other EEC from a 1990 3.8 work??

recap....new fuel pump, fuel filter, spark plugs, plug wires, rotor, cap...turns over fine, will fire on starting fluid but not on it's own

Thanks

Sparky

sparky huberman

Established Member
Thunderbird won't start

Another update....picked up a noid light and checked it tonight, light flashes consistently while cranking so i'm ruling out the EEC. On to perhaps the fuel pressure regulator? or perhaps the crank sensor?? Any thoughts??

Thanks

Sparky

Big Bird 5.4

dirt poor hot rodder
Established Member
Well, I think the crank sensor is a modular item , not found on a '90 Bird..........sooo the fuel pressure reg Miiiiight be the prob... the thing is till you check the 'puter, youre flying blind.....

Little J's 5.4

Established Member
You can put a gauge in the FPR and confirm if you have enough fuel pressure.

Another idea, how old is your gas? Could you gas be bad?
:shrug:

sparky huberman

Established Member
update

Thanks again for the ideas. Hadn't much time to work on the thing until the last couple of days. Found a rotted hose on the EGR sensor so I speculated that the sensor may have been shot as a result so I replaced that, and I read that when you replace some sensors, you have to let the computer reset itself by unhooking the battery cables and turning the key to the "on" position for 15 minutes or so. I'm trying that now but wondering if anyone else has heard of this??

Another recap, new plugs wires rotor and cap. new fuel pump and fuel filter, and new EGR sensor. Checked one injector with a noid light and it checked out ok (i'm assuming if it's getting a signal the rest should be??) Has good strong spark, have not checked the fuel pressure with a guage since replacing the fuel pump, but with the schrader valve open on the fuel rack it spits out a good stream (into a hose captured in a container) so again i'm assuming that's ok.......could it still be the computer?? Where is the thing located??......again any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Sparky

sparky huberman

Established Member
finally figured it out!!

After thinking I might have to give up on this thing, a friend of my sons loaned me a ford code reader........as it turns out, something I should have picked up much sooner. It gave me a 22 code, that relates to the MAP (manifold absolute pressure) sensor, which I was fortunate enough to find on Ebay for a fraction of the cost from a dealer and what do you know, the damn thing runs!!

Thanks for all the input along the way

Sparky

Users who are viewing this thread