Throwout bearing or pilot bearing?

Bandit5.4

Slow driver
Established Member
Got a squealing noise coming from the trans.

Only does it when the car is warm and clutch engaged.
Press clutch pedal and it goes away.

Clutch is Spec stage 4

Is it the pilot bearing or throwout bearing?

keith89

Established Member
Throwout bearing. Pilot bearings going out are rare on these cars. At least in my experience.

throwout bearing definitely common due to poor adjustment of the clutch cable.

Agreed. Pilot bearings rarely go out. The only failures I've seen and experienced are from incorrect reinstallation of the transmission. The last time I had a shop work on my car, they drew the transmission into the bellhousing using the bolts. The input shaft was cocked in the pilot bearing and crushed it on its way in. I swapped out the pilot bearing in about 2 hours(first time dropping trans myself) on my own and vowed never to have a shop touch my car again. smdh
You probably won't notice a failed pilot bearing at idle. Mine caused a major vibration when decelerating from high rpm in 3rd and 4th gear. I didn't really notice it otherwise.

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
throwout bearing definitely common due to poor adjustment of the clutch cable.

Agreed. Pilot bearings rarely go out. The only failures I've seen and experienced are from incorrect reinstallation of the transmission. The last time I had a shop work on my car, they drew the transmission into the bellhousing using the bolts. The input shaft was cocked in the pilot bearing and crushed it on its way in. I swapped out the pilot bearing in about 2 hours(first time dropping trans myself) on my own and vowed never to have a shop touch my car again. smdh
You probably won't notice a failed pilot bearing at idle. Mine caused a major vibration when decelerating from high rpm in 3rd and 4th gear. I didn't really notice it otherwise.

A long time ago someone on here was chasing a random vibration. He pulled the trans to find the pilot bearing was missing completely. Oops.

Users who are viewing this thread