Throw out bearing issue?

uhhhaaron

Established Member
Since the weather started getting cool, I’ve noticed a hissing/static like noise coming from I believe to be the passenger side behind the firewall. Almost like an “eeeeee eeeeee eeeeee..” sound. And I say static because it’s random like static. When Im driving around at very low speeds with the windows down it is very apparent, but once at cruising speeds I no longer hear it. It gets less apparent once car is warmed up. If I press in the clutch pedal, the sound goes away immediately.

Could it be the TOB? Possibly an exhaust leak?

Pretty much stock: 2.9” pulley with idler/tensioner, stock lower pulley, intake, exhaust, stock headers, high flow X pipe.

roy_1031

roy1031
Established Member
An exhaust leak is more of a ticking sound and the fact that noise goes away when you press the clutch leads me to guess it’s the TOB. Common issue to eat up TOBs on these cars.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

uhhhaaron

Established Member
Thanks for the input.

And since I’m already gonna be replacing the TOB, anything else I should consider replacing once im in there?

roy_1031

roy1031
Established Member
Back of head, head cooling mod. And upgrade to lethals HD throwout bearing sleeve as mentioned above. T-56 anti venom mod was a nice cheap little effective upgrade as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

hotcobra03

Established Member
The tob is very common

Some last days to years.

For me.

I did the retainer shaft @40k.
Pilot bearing is still original

Well over 400k now.

Users who are viewing this thread