Throttle cable ?

Adamn

Established Member
The last 2 times I have driven my car I noticed a hesitation when I get back on the throttle after a shift. I first noticed it when I was giving a friend a ride so I was driving it a little hard so when I drove it the other day I did a quick hit, shift, and back into the throttle real quick and it did it again.

I thought it might have been the throttle body sticking so I checked that out when I got home today and that's not the issue. What I did realize though and what I believe to be the cause of the hesitation is what appears to be slack in the throttle cable. What is happening is when I go from wot then let off to shift then go back to wot the slack in the cable has to catch up causing the hesitation.

I looked under the dash and noticed that I can pull back on the pedal and it moves about 2" and exposes about 1" of the cable between the stop at the end of the cable and the pedal arm. I searched and saw that people have put a 1/2" spacer between the pedal arm and the cable stop (gas pedal mod) and I'm wondering if that is what I need to do to fix my problem.

03SonicVert

Ford Junkie since 1996
Established Member
I added the spacer to my gas pedal/throttle cable but that was only to bring the pedal up closer to the brake and clutch pedal.

I don't see how the cable would cause your issue since it is being forced back by the spring on the throttle body.

Do you have a hand held? You could watch TP Voltage to see if it follows with your foot/pedal.
Also watch the fuel pressure, O2S 1&2, etc.

How's it run otherwise? Cold and hot idle?

Maybe when you were in the boost it popped off a vacuum line?

You can figure it out but I'm thinking hand held is key!

SV

Adamn

Established Member
When the throttle body closes it doesn't force the cable back. That's how I noticed that the cable had slack when I opened the TB all the way I let it slap back closed to see if it would stick and I noticed the cable was slow to return to the resting position.

That is what made me think it was the cause of the hesitation because the cable is returning slower and I am back on the throttle before the cable returns to where it should be and it takes a half second or so for it to open the TB back up.

The car runs great otherwise and if I don't do a quick shift and get on the throttle hard it operates perfectly and yes I do have a handheld

Users who are viewing this thread