Throttle Body Idle Screw (Bolt?)

Snk-Byet01

Established Member
(2001 Cobra) I took off my throttle body to give it a good cleaning and also replaced the gasket. After letting the engine warm up for a good time, the TPS finally let the engine return to the correct idle RPM. I still have a very little slack in the accelerator cable that I could eliminate by turning the idle screw, but there is no screw or bolt end on the screw. I have no idea which end should have a screw and if I can find a correct one without buying another TB, I might get by with the use your help.

Hopefully, thanks in advance.

01yellercobra

Established Member
The TPS doesn't control idle. The IAC does. Don't mess with the throttle stop. You'll cause other issues.

Grab a couple zip ties and crawl under the dash. Look up at where the cable goes through the pedal arm. You can put a zip tie between the arm and end of the cable. That will raise the resting height of the pedal. Start with one and drive the car around. See how it feels. I can't remember if I have one or two on mine. Some people use plastic bushings and hose clamps. I did the zip ties as a temporary thing to check what height I wanted. That was back in 2015 and they're still there.

Snk-Byet01

Established Member
I don't have a stretched accelerator cable, just a little slack at the TB that I want to get rid of if I could turn the screw just a little bit. If I need a new cable, I will order one. Pedal height is okay and idle is almost dead on. Thanks for your input. Sorry if I misspoke about TPS vs IAC.

01yellercobra

Established Member
It's not a stretched cable. That's just how it is. You don't want an extremely tight cable. As long as the TB blades open up completely when you floor it everything is good.

Users who are viewing this thread