Throttle body breakdown & comparison

96gt02

Established Member
GT500. I personally think Alex is great for the coyotes. At least a friend of mine is happy.
Is your Ngauge the Lund only version? If so just sell it and buy an X4 and get a better tune, people love those Ngauge so youll get good money and it might end up costing you maybe $200 to get a used SCT and better tune

1 Alibi 2

Veteran,...retired Navy !
Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
You guys ever wonder if it's the tuner, or just " canned " tunes in general.
Lund's shop isn't the only one that has issues with the FRPP mono-blades.
Pa._Mustang_show_313.jpg

30_day_build_update_pics_05-21-2014_007.jpg
..................Both cars were tuned on the street !!!

boduke0220

Established Member
All depends on what your goal are also. The VMP twin 67mm will pick up good power and good driveability. If you want to go to a mono blade I suggest to go to the KB 168 and the XBA inlet. Lund has issues tuning that T/B.

Just ordered mine from Jordan yesterday :)

Lund will be tuning it, they have tuned all my other cars with no issues.

2011 gtcs

GT500 poster
Established Member
Premium Member
Just ordered mine from Jordan yesterday :)

Lund will be tuning it, they have tuned all my other cars with no issues.
You ordered the KB168 or the VMP twin 67mm? Either way he should be good with those. The only one I would be leery about is the FRPP mono blade.

boduke0220

Established Member
You ordered the KB168 or the VMP twin 67mm? Either way he should be good with those. The only one I would be leery about is the FRPP mono blade.

168 Mono and XBA Elbow, I almost went twin 67 for driveability but I have faith in lund nailing it down. and I didn't want to leave that extra hp on the table.

2011 gtcs

GT500 poster
Established Member
Premium Member
168 Mono and XBA Elbow, I almost went twin 67 for driveability but I have faith in lund nailing it down. and I didn't want to leave that extra hp on the table.
right on, When I had the 3.6KB on my 2013 GT500 I had the 168 and driveability was still very good, I have one more log to due with Lund for my new twin 67 and PMAS intake. The car runs good overall

VNMOUS1

Established Member
The 67mm is a piece of cake. Works well. Cheaper than the Ford 65.

If you want it to say Ford, buy a 65.

If you don't care, buy the 67mm, enjoy the additional 8-10 rwhp and cheaper price

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

50stangpower

Established Member
I don't think my issue is the throttle body as I've had it with both throttle bodies on the car. I believe it's something deep down in the tune where under medium load the car goes lean/stumbles around 3,000 RPM. The only difference is I went to e-85 and id1300x injectors.

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
Lund tuned here. I have a Whipple oval mono, tuned by Dasan (RIP) when he was at Lund. Falls a little flat out of boost but when that thing hits, hold on!

The KB168 looks like its built like a tank, tbh.

You could have two identical cars side by side, and they are both a little different. Could be as simple as a set of widebands failing or operating out of spec.

Id bet there are more people satisfied with Lund Racing than not. A ton of people are tuned by another vendor here and have great results. I was tuned by them and while it didnt run terrible, I had a hunting idle issue with every revision. 100 octane tune felt flat, and that was with a TVS. Switched to Lund Racing and all that cleared up. Magically. I dont discount the fact that people are having issues with them. No one is perfect and mistakes can happen.

Lol, but calling Lund Racing Bama 2.0 is straight ignorant. No tuner is perfect, but Bama is on another level of terrible. Lund's not even close to that. Im not opposed to looking at different companies when I pull my engine next year. Could be Lund, could be JDM, might give a local tuner here in Phoenix a try. But if my statements make me a fanboi, so be it.

Remote tunes are pretty darn good, but nothing will beat having a tuner personally with your car on a dyno then make live pulls to dial it in. The element of being right there to feel the car react to changes is invaluable.

Handlebar Moustache

Established Member
Lund tuned here. I have a Whipple oval mono, tuned by Dasan (RIP) when he was at Lund. Falls a little flat out of boost but when that thing hits, hold on!

You could have two identical cars side by side, and they are both a little different. Could be as simple as a set of widebands failing or operating out of spec.

Id bet there are more people satisfied with Lund Racing than not. A ton of people are tuned by another vendor here and have great results. I was tuned by them and while it didnt run terrible, I had a hunting idle issue with every revision. 100 octane tune felt flat, and that was with a TVS. Switched to Lund Racing and all that cleared up. Magically. I dont discount the fact that people are having issues with them. No one is perfect and mistakes can happen.

Lol, but calling Lund Racing Bama 2.0 is straight ignorant. No tuner is perfect, but Bama is on another level of terrible. Lund's not even close to that. Im not opposed to looking at different companies when I pull my engine next year. Could be Lund, could be JDM, might give a local tuner here in Phoenix a try. But if my statements make me a fanboi, so be it.

Remote tunes are pretty darn good, but nothing will beat having a tuner personally with your car on a dyno then make live pulls to dial it in. The element of being right there to feel the car react to changes is invaluable.

I agree. I have a Lund tune with a KB dual 75mm. It drives like a stock GT500 (when you want to behave yourself). When you want to party, it'll run 10s. Remote tuning requires that the car's owner follow the tuner's instructions, and often that is where the weak link is.

2011 gtcs

GT500 poster
Established Member
Premium Member

Agreed, for some reason my Shelby did not like the FRPP mono blade. But I just finished my last log with Lund with the VMP twin 67mm and the Pmas 120mm intake. The car pulls like a monster now and driveability is amazing. Lund racing has tuned all 4 of my GT500s and they all ran perfect. Other than the KB 168, mono blades are just hit and miss.

96gt02

Established Member
Let me remind those who haven't been in the game long enough to remember, Approx. a decade ago Bama was also the top choice of internet tuning crowd and then got too big for their own good, now look at them. Lund is not quite there yet but from what I've been seeing on forums and FB groups they are definitely headed there fast, only time will tell.

Last edited:

boduke0220

Established Member
there was recently a huge thread in the coyote group about the whipple throttle bodies. ON the FF 2.9 whipple, with the upgraded 150mm TB, when people run the 2.75 upper and 20% lower on the car, the TB electronics cannot handle the sheer force of the blower sucking air in ( or atleast that's what I gathered from all the comments) so when a guy is going WOT at that boost level it'll go into limp mode and there is currently no fix.

Jam421

Jam421
Established Member
When I got my FRPP Mono two 25+yr Mustang Race Shops could not tune the FRPP Mono. VMP discouraged me from buying their FRPP Mono tune. Lund could not tune the FRPP Mono.
With no extra charge due to the Lund 3 month rule.....LOVE my Lund Tuned suggested KB168 TB / XBA Elbow / JLT 148 CAI Power By Hour package. I did swap stock TB electronics to the KB Mono. After 7-8 Data Logs.....zero driveability issues, steady 850rpm idle, Zero issues on cold start driving, zero issues off idle around town, no stumbles anywhere, smooth linear pull everywhere from 2200rpm to redline with very good gains on dyno.
One curious regret I have after trying two brand new FRPP Mono TB's was not swapping out electronics from my stock 60mm TB to the FRPP Mono. I can't help suspect that would've worked :)!

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
I think several guys have hit it correctly on here, in that these '11+ cars and the dual wide bands with commanded AFR spoil us by allowing remote tuning in MOST situations.
When it's not working through just datalogging, that's where experienced shops and tuners are worth the cost.
I had a very good Lund experience, but I also have one of the best tuners local and I'm lucky to have a good relationship with him.
Regarding TBs, you can't go too big for power, but it always gets to a balance/tipping point of power vs driveability. And that's where everyone has a difference in their personal tolerance of what that means.
For me, the Gen 3 will start with a VMP 173, but if there are issues, I'll run the KB168 with adapter.
-J

2011 gtcs

GT500 poster
Established Member
Premium Member
When I got my FRPP Mono two 25+yr Mustang Race Shops could not tune the FRPP Mono. VMP discouraged me from buying their FRPP Mono tune. Lund could not tune the FRPP Mono.
With no extra charge due to the Lund 3 month rule.....LOVE my Lund Tuned suggested KB168 TB / XBA Elbow / JLT 148 CAI Power By Hour package. I did swap stock TB electronics to the KB Mono. After 7-8 Data Logs.....zero driveability issues, steady 850rpm idle, Zero issues on cold start driving, zero issues off idle around town, no stumbles anywhere, smooth linear pull everywhere from 2200rpm to redline with very good gains on dyno.
One curious regret I have after trying two brand new FRPP Mono TB's was not swapping out electronics from my stock 60mm TB to the FRPP Mono. I can't help suspect that would've worked :)!
If I ever change my setup I'll be doing the same as you. KB168, XBA inlet, and a JLT148 or a DD149.

Jam421

Jam421
Established Member
If I ever change my setup I'll be doing the same as you. KB168, XBA inlet, and a JLT148 or a DD149.
Not cheap but no regrets. I had my VMP67/BPS elbow/JLT127 sold in a few days to help offset.

Users who are viewing this thread