Throttle body breakdown & comparison

robtee

Established Member
There are A TON of TBs out there with different shapes, diameters, CFMs...

I'm wondering what would be the progression as far as size/performance, starting from the stock '13-'14. I know I have a twin 65, but I see Ford Performance 65, VMP 65, then 67, etc.

What would be a good upgrade?

sleek98

Established Member
Stock Bolt Pattern:
Stock is a 60mm Twin
Ford Racing has a 65mm Twin
VMP CMS both have a 67mm Twin
Whipple 68mm Twin
VMP and BPS both had 72mm Twin, (VMP doesnt sell it anymore, not sure on the BPS version)
Ford Racing has a Mono
Whipple has 2 Mono blades, the smaller 170mm and the 170 Elliptical

Kenne Bell bolt pattern
75mm Twin(hardly ever see these)
168 Mono (this one seems to be the tuners choice on huge monos)

VMP Gen 3 bolt pattern (last I have heard is they are having issues getting them to idle, but not sure if they have it fixed by now)
160 mm Street version
173 mm Race version

As far as what to use, it all depends on what hp you want to make and how much time your tuner will spending dialing the tables in for drive ability.

1 Alibi 2

Veteran,...retired Navy !
Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
Your FRPP twin 65mm flows 1517cfm.
FRPP mono-blade flows 1797cfm,.............& shouldn't require a re-tune.

2011 gtcs

GT500 poster
Established Member
Premium Member
All depends on what your goal are also. The VMP twin 67mm will pick up good power and good driveability. If you want to go to a mono blade I suggest to go to the KB 168 and the XBA inlet. Lund has issues tuning that T/B.

2011 gtcs

GT500 poster
Established Member
Premium Member
Lund just has issues period. I wish I didn't spend all this money on his Ngauge.
What issues are you having? I know he couldn't tune my mono blade T/B to work correctly so I dropped to a VMP twin 67mm and a PMAS 120mm intake. I'm hoping he can dial in this setup.

50stangpower

Established Member
What issues are you having? I know he couldn't tune my mono blade T/B to work correctly so I dropped to a VMP twin 67mm and a PMAS 120mm intake. I'm hoping he can dial in this setup.

I have a stumble at part throttle around 2,800 RPM. did not have this before I switched to e-85. The only changes were injectors. I even bought a twin 67 throttle body as my CJ65 "went bad" somehow when I put the injectors in. I was pretty much told at this point that it's not there issue and it's something else but they don't know what. Alex has told me multiple times the "my tune is the same as he has sent many cars and they have no issues", unfortunately he told me that on another revision that was giving me misfire codes on startup. That took John Sr to take a look and fix that. This is the short version. I have data log files to show the issue and about 200 emails in the chain.

2011 gtcs

GT500 poster
Established Member
Premium Member
I have a stumble at part throttle around 2,800 RPM. did not have this before I switched to e-85. The only changes were injectors. I even bought a twin 67 throttle body as my CJ65 "went bad" somehow when I put the injectors in. I was pretty much told at this point that it's not there issue and it's something else but they don't know what. Alex has told me multiple times the "my tune is the same as he has sent many cars and they have no issues", unfortunately he told me that on another revision that was giving me misfire codes on startup. That took John Sr to take a look and fix that. This is the short version. I have data log files to show the issue and about 200 emails in the chain.
I understand the frustration, Alex said the tune for my mono blade worked on several other GT500s and that's probably true, but my car ran like shit, I datalogged for him and he said he made adjustments but the car still ran like shit. So I switched over to the VMP twin 67mm and a PMAS intake. I still need log everything for him. But I'm hoping he can dial in this setup, I have been told the PMAS 120mm intake is a lot easier to tune over the JLT.
Which TB does he have issues tuning?
The mono blade, Alex at Lund could not get the car to run correctly.

50stangpower

Established Member
I did the same and he recommended me to get the 67 as well so i did. Hope you have better luck then me... Really has taken the enjoyment out of driving it this summer.

2011 gtcs

GT500 poster
Established Member
Premium Member
I did the same and he recommended me to get the 67 as well so i did. Hope you have better luck then me... Really has taken the enjoyment out of driving it this summer.
I just took the car for a drive, it runs awesome, it's a little rich at WOT so I'll do some datalogging. But I'm happy with the twin 67mm.

96gt02

Established Member
Lund just has issues period. I wish I didn't spend all this money on his Ngauge.

Man I've been saying this for months but nobody wants to listen, Lund is now Bama 2.0.... All I read about on here, FB and GT500 forum is about people tuned by lund having drive-ability issues on simple setups. No joke I literally read about 3-4 different idle/drive-ability complaints a week and all are always tuned by Lund, when are people going to start catching on?

50stangpower

Established Member
Man I've been saying this for months but nobody wants to listen, Lund is now Bama 2.0.... All I read about on here, FB and GT500 forum is about people tuned by lund having drive-ability issues on simple setups. No joke I literally read about 3-4 different idle/drive-ability complaints a week and all are always tuned by Lund, when are people going to start catching on?

IDK. I am just a small fish with no social media presence so I dont really matter. I honestly feel like im too far in now as i dont want to spend the money on another tuner and device right now. I am hoping with my 3.73's that I wont be in the rpm band where the issue happens.

96gt02

Established Member
IDK. I am just a small fish with no social media presence so I dont really matter. I honestly feel like im too far in now as i dont want to spend the money on another tuner and device right now. I am hoping with my 3.73's that I wont be in the rpm band where the issue happens.

Do you have a GT500 or a coyote?

robtee

Established Member
Stock Bolt Pattern:
Stock is a 60mm Twin
Ford Racing has a 65mm Twin
VMP CMS both have a 67mm Twin
Whipple 68mm Twin
VMP and BPS both had 72mm Twin, (VMP doesnt sell it anymore, not sure on the BPS version)
Ford Racing has a Mono
Whipple has 2 Mono blades, the smaller 170mm and the 170 Elliptical

Kenne Bell bolt pattern
75mm Twin(hardly ever see these)
168 Mono (this one seems to be the tuners choice on huge monos)

VMP Gen 3 bolt pattern (last I have heard is they are having issues getting them to idle, but not sure if they have it fixed by now)
160 mm Street version
173 mm Race version

As far as what to use, it all depends on what hp you want to make and how much time your tuner will spending dialing the tables in for drive ability.
OK wow this was just the answer I was looking for. Shows my little knowledge on these cars, as I apparently have the twin 60 since it is stock. Yeah I'll get in touch with my tuner so I can keep an eye out for folks parting with theirs.

I'm 99% sure the stock twin 60mm T/B flows 1147CFM.
Didn't realize how much higher cfm the 65s have over stock. Thanks for the info!

Users who are viewing this thread